Talk

Advanced search

Can u style gurus help me style this tunic dress pls. X

(10 Posts)
Captainbarnacles1101 Thu 13-Nov-14 09:18:50

I'm gonna wear this at Christmas will likely get 3-4 wears out of it.
I'm 5'7 and size 18-20. Early forties. I'd really appreciate some styling advice.

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_038010384060_-1

Thanks xxx

Captainbarnacles1101 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:08:11

Isitjustthattje dresses hideous???

Captainbarnacles1101 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:08:57

Predictive text!

Is it just that the dress is hideous?

brakespeare Thu 13-Nov-14 20:05:56

It's not hideous but not my personal style. . . However, styling wise, ankle boots are your friend I think! I don't think the shoes in the picture make it look current at all. Do you have ankle boots? Are you wearing tights? With the detailing on the dress, I wouldn't wear a necklace. You could try a sparkly bag and go for glam nails instead?

I'm no guru, just like clothes and looking good smile

BunnyMama Thu 13-Nov-14 20:21:54

Ankle boots aren't right for an evening Christmas do, although they would be ok for a day do.

I would get some low-mid heel black suede or black patent courts, (pointed or almond toe, try M&S), black tights (make sure you get 60+ denier, preferably 80) and then I would probably put a mid-length necklace with that. I think the dress may need a necklace although agree with brakespeare that it might look just as good without. If you do get a necklace, the length has to be just right though - it should sit just above your bust - not so long to be dangling between the girls smile and not so short that it interferes with the neckline. I would probably choose a necklace that's quite chunky but not bejewelled. Definitely nothing fine-chained. Possibly high gloss in jewel colours. Then I would reflect that with toning clutch bag, in either a metallic colour (eg pewter) or a jewel colour. It should be quite a large clutch, not a small one, as it puts the dress etc in proportion.

BunnyMama Thu 13-Nov-14 20:26:54

PS the dress is not hideous, it's a very good choice, it's a great silhouette, appropriate, and will skim your figure in a flattering way. It's party-ish without being garish, and will help conceal any bits you're not so keen on. I was queen of the shift dress as a figure-fixer for around 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about smile. Go have fun with the accessories but keep the tights and shoes dark and I would probably steer clear of ankle boots as they are hardly anyone's friend smile

brakespeare Thu 13-Nov-14 20:30:19

grinit's all down to personal taste! I wouldn't dream of wearing courts at night as I wear business clothes every day. If you don't, then you'll not be as averse to court shoes as I am.

A jewel coloured bag sounds great!

buttercrumble Thu 13-Nov-14 20:31:16

Shoe boots would look nice in black suede smile

BunnyMama Thu 13-Nov-14 20:39:52

brake I think of ankle boots as being more edgy/casual, for example I wouldn't ever wear them to a Naice Restaurant or dress-up event... for example they wouldn't be entirely appropriate at a formal wedding reception or a black tie do or a formal company event... smile... It depends on the event. I think pointed courts are very flattering. Ankle boots tend to cut you off at the ankle, and that looks great when you have elfin little legs coming out of them, but when you have tree-trunk ankles and fat calves (speaking though experience) it's like your feet have been stuffed in them, and it's not as flattering as your ankles tapering down to a neat court... IMHO....

Captainbarnacles1101 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:52:50

Thank you all very much! Some great ideas and I'm happy to say I have most of the things u suggest. ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now