Talk

Advanced search

Do Mothers of the Bride really wear full length dresses?

(65 Posts)
iwantgin Thu 13-Nov-14 09:06:55

Was reading another thread about searching for a wedding dress.
I clicked on a link to this site frocks and had a peek at what was on offer.

I have never, ever seen a mother of the bride wearing a full length gown. Bridesmaids do, yes - but the MOB?

Has anyone else come across this ? Is it more popular in other countries?

I've never seen it, and I think I'd raise any eyebrow if I did to be honest.

Actually, I lie. I have seen it once, mother of the groom, full length dress, in white.
And she insisted on standing inbetween the bride and groom for the photos. So odd.
Needless to say it was the red flag for a while other host of issues!

eurochick Thu 13-Nov-14 09:11:55

I thought a pastel coloured suit was the stereotypical MOB outfit (although not what mine went for).

iwantgin Thu 13-Nov-14 09:12:06

ha ha - yes. I suspect she was making a statement! ;)

BlackandGold Thu 13-Nov-14 09:13:22

DH has family in Canada and it seems the thing to do over there.

iwantgin Thu 13-Nov-14 09:13:43

Hmm my DM wore a pink knee length skirt suit. MIL similar in mint.

All the weddings I have attended the MOB and MiL have been wearing a knee length dress with jacket or skirt with jacket.

Perhaps in the US - might have glitzy evening weddings with ball gowns as a matter of course??

iwantgin Thu 13-Nov-14 09:14:03

Cross posted with you there blackandgold

Squeakyheart Thu 13-Nov-14 09:15:42

My DM wore one to mine. She hates her legs due to varicose veins and it meant she was not self conscious about them, it's just a maxi dress and other guests wore those. We just made sure it didn't match or clash with the BM's dresses and she wore a hat and shrug.

fourwoodenchairs Thu 13-Nov-14 10:21:05

I think it's pretty much unheard of.

I'm getting married in 6 weeks and y mum is wearing a knee length dress which is pretty standard I think.

BuckskinnedAstronaut Thu 13-Nov-14 10:26:08

I think it's unusual in the UK -- perhaps because until recently you couldn't get married in the evening in England and Wales and a full-length dress would be more evening attire?

(P.S. I love that this is described as "casual" grin)

BuckskinnedAstronaut Thu 13-Nov-14 10:32:58

Although TBH they have rather a way with random adjectives in general... "funky", "puffy", "plain" and I think my favourite is the terribly evocative "wholesale".

iwantgin Thu 13-Nov-14 10:43:43

That's a good point squeaky. But I suppose by wearing a hat and shrug your DM wouldn't have been confused with the bridesmaids.

Yes Buck the website is oddly worded.

I went onto the Bridesmaids section too, to see what they had in there- and how they differed from the Mother of the Bride department.

Found this one skimpy eh!!

curiousgeorgie Thu 13-Nov-14 10:44:32

My MIL wore a white, full length lacy dress.

True story.

BuckskinnedAstronaut Thu 13-Nov-14 10:58:09

Now that's more of a MOTB dress, iwantgin. It's... certainly not floor length.

candykane25 Thu 13-Nov-14 11:21:45

Yes I've seen it and it looked like the mother was getting married too. I didn't know it was a thing either.

Dowahdiddydiddydumdiddydo Thu 13-Nov-14 12:51:13

Going off on a tangent...
Why can't they have a model who is at least, oh, I don't know, 35 I really mean 50 for the mother of the bride photos? She can still be tall and slim and elegant (and all the other modelly things I can't think of) but it would be quite nice if she was more of an age with the usual mother of the bride.

jenniuol Thu 13-Nov-14 14:33:59

My mum wore a full length dress to my wedding. Was navy blue. I've seen it at other weddings too. Maybe it's a Scottish thing grin Loads of guests wore maxi dresses, same idea really I think.

mejon Thu 13-Nov-14 15:16:59

My MIL did (for SIL's not mine grin). Full-length cream affair with a matching bolero jacket and massive hat. I'm assuming it was intentional and not just because she's 4'11" and couldn't be bothered to shorten what would have been a standard length on a taller person confused.

Greengardenpixie Thu 13-Nov-14 17:03:44

Crikey..they look like they are getting married!! Love the dresses though...fit for the red carpet and very sassy!! Think it would look out of place next to a bride and the bridesmaid but then..why the hell not!! as long as its not white!

burnishedsilver Thu 13-Nov-14 19:26:04

My mother did at my sisters wedding and her sister did at my cousins wedding. They both looked great.

Llareggub Thu 13-Nov-14 19:29:36

My mother and ex MIL wore long dresses with hats, but they were floral and definitely day dresses. It was 10 years ago, and I remember attending other weddings were the MOB wore similar. Haven't been to a wedding for ages now though.

punygod Thu 13-Nov-14 19:30:56

My sister did at one of her dd's weddings.

She looked utterly ridiculous. Like a superannuated bridesmaid.

NoelleHawthorne Thu 13-Nov-14 19:31:52

NO! I have never seen this

NoelleHawthorne Thu 13-Nov-14 19:33:12

Scottish ones are often long for all that a reeling and a dancing though, arent they?

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 13-Nov-14 19:44:37

In the US it is usual, but more weddings are at night, where many women guests wear full length dresses. It sometimes happens in the day time, too. My son got married at 2 pm, but I was instructed to wear a full-length dress because the MOB was wearing one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now