Talk

Advanced search

Stylish alternative to the North Face Arctic Parka?

(24 Posts)
plasticbanana Wed 12-Nov-14 23:12:00

So, I've been to a shop to try on the Arctic Parka. It IS warm and snuggly, but I'm afraid, on me, just frumpy. There are weird seams on the shoulders that give me a really weird shape and the fur bit looks mean and small. I just can't bring myself to spend around £200 on something that makes me look bad, even if it is nice and warm. There MUST be a more stylish alternative out there. I was sorely tempted by the nice looking Didriksons ones in the shop but they are just not as warm as the Arctic Parka. I tried on the other down coats in the shop but they looked like space suits with their big round hoods. Do I have to choose between stylish and dry/warm? Does anyone have any recommendations for a really warm and waterproof winter coat to rival the Arctic Parka? I think it probably has to be a down coat to be warm enough. Thanks smile

Dancingyogi Wed 12-Nov-14 23:35:53

I have the Arctic parka - I only use it for very cold weather when I really don't care about style and I just want to be wrapped in a waterproof duvet. I have a more flattering down coat but it's pants at keeping me toasty below zero. Sorry not much help.

Riverland Wed 12-Nov-14 23:51:11

Been wondering exact same thing. So far have deduced that keeping warm whilst looking ok has to include heat tech layering, cashmere, UniQlo thermal tights, nice thick boots.

Layering, rather than wearing a duvet as a coat?

Will be happy to be contradicted!

Dancingyogi Thu 13-Nov-14 06:23:08

I suppose it depends how cold it gets. Last winter I didn't wear my Arctic Parka there was no need - it just wasn't cold enough.

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Nov-14 07:08:00

Really warm = down with lots of volume to trap warm air = bulk

And because tiny down feathers are sneaky little things then also down can = big seams.

Have a look also at Land's End and Patagonia. Paragonia is technical, extremely good, better cut and a bit more stylish, but comes at a price. It will last for the best part of forever though.

A happy medium might be a thinner down coat (micro down) with a fleece lining. No idea if such a thing exists.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 13-Nov-14 07:16:33

Did you try the NF Brooklyn on? That's got a more urban styling as the name suggests - still not a thing of glamour but not quite as functional-looking as the Arctic.

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Nov-14 07:20:52

if money were no object. And I lived in Canada! Less £££ alternatives on [[www.patagonia.com Patagonia website

Paddingtonthebear Thu 13-Nov-14 07:30:06

I thought it was my dream coat but I tried the NF Arctic Parka on last night and felt the same as you. Too bulky, frumpy and long on me.

Also tried the Merrell Ellenwood - nice but too long on me, again making it a bit and shapeless.

Marmot Chelsea Coat - very nice and similar to the North Face, I preferred it.

Jack Wolfskin 5th Avenue Coat - Perfect fit and length on me. I bought it smile

Paddingtonthebear Thu 13-Nov-14 07:35:03

Bought it online in navy for £160, not the £225 it is in-store wink

Currently have the Merrell Haven duffle coat which is really warm, no jumper required, but a bit casual. Was hoping to replace it with the Merrell Ellenwood but that one didn't really do it for me

BumWad Thu 13-Nov-14 07:39:47

Not as technical but way cheaper:

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.5/6490006152

I have worn the artic parka/juneau for years but fancied something a bit more feminine. The monsoon one isn't waterproofbut it is warm enough and defo looks nicer.

eurochick Thu 13-Nov-14 07:44:40

I had this last year. The arctic parka just looked awful on me. I ended up buying a ski jacket from Burton (the technical brand, not the menswear shop). It's much more stylish.

Millli Thu 13-Nov-14 08:22:43

https://www.trekwear.co.uk/womens_clothing/jackets/down_jackets/trespass_ladies_ladna_long_winter_down_jacket.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&productid=27260&gclid=Cj0KEQiAypGjBRCPme6jmqu3gZsBEiQA8NAiIPhoczdN2prtWWbH5RkIm4tWPo6J9FESEynTZzQTUkAaAqNi8P8HAQ

I have this one. Was a hundred and something when I bought it. Im 5ft 9 ant it is fitted at the waist and hips so gives me shape. I bought it cause I live in the mountains in North Wales and its always cold in winter. I had spent years layering up trying to keep warm then decided to get this. Sheer bliss. Like going out in my duvet.
grin

Millli Thu 13-Nov-14 08:23:25

Sorry don't know how to link from hudl.

Millli Thu 13-Nov-14 08:27:58

https://www.trekwear.co.uk/womens_clothing/jackets/down_jackets/trespass_ladies_ladna_long_winter_down_jacket.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&productid=27260&gclid=Cj0KEQiAypGjBRCPme6jmqu3gZsBEiQA8NAiIPhoczdN2prtWWbH5RkIm4tWPo6J9FESEynTZzQTUkAaAqNi8P8HAQ

Millli Thu 13-Nov-14 08:28:31

No....didn't work again. So sorry blush

plasticbanana Thu 13-Nov-14 09:46:18

It works millli smile

mkmjimmy Thu 13-Nov-14 09:52:54

north face suzanne

I found the Arctic Parka way too bulky on me, it emphasised my lumps! Also I think it would have been too warm a lot of the time.

The one I bought - above - is great because it's got a detachable duvet liner - so when its really cold I can zip that in - or just use the outside only as a stylish, still warm, waterproof coat. It's shaped to go in at the waist and skims over lumps. I get compliments! Hood stays up which is great too - and no fake fur to look manky. It's really waterproof and has survived a few washing.

yazzy85 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:09:05

Jack Wolfskin Icegaurd is very warm and looks good.

Millli Thu 13-Nov-14 13:20:26

Haha thank you PlasticBanana. It didn't show from the Hudl thingy.

Oly4 Thu 13-Nov-14 15:14:29

I'm addicted to my Arctic parka... So lusciously warm and snuggly. Hope you find a jacket that looks good on you!

plasticbanana Fri 14-Nov-14 10:16:46

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions smile

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Nov-14 10:20:14

I've got the mammot chelsea coat. I love it. It is warm, long and snuggly!

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Fri 14-Nov-14 10:47:49

I'm in love with my Jack Wolfskin Iceguard. It's cosy, reasonably flattering and really comfortable. That said, I don't think it would suit anyone too tall. I'm 5ft2 and the sleeves are just right for me.

alfieandanniesmum Fri 14-Nov-14 10:56:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now