Talk

Advanced search

Keeping disciplined and fit throughout winter on a low budget - top tips?

(10 Posts)
camberwellred Wed 12-Nov-14 19:46:00

Hi there, I've actually just posted re: skin/beauty regimes but actually thought I'd follow it up with a separate post as it also goes hand in hand with nutrition and fitness (both mental and physical!)

I'm fairly fit, don't have too much of an issue with weight and always at the start of the year have a rush to sort out fitness, start running etc. I try and eat as much whole foods as possible (I actually love vegan food but struggle with the planning) and limit dairy, sugar, meat etc, I don't drink much and have an on/off habit with picking up/quitting smoking (realistically I probably smoke maybe twice a week and do believe this to be tied in with full time childcare and using this as a means to separate myself from being a mummy and being me - I'm very aware of how stupid this is) However... as soon as the grey skies descend and winter/rainy season hits I'm terrible! All of this goes out the window and I hit the biscuits and anything else in my grasp like a madwoman.

My youngest still wakes at night so energy levels are also quite low - she's also at home mon-thurs and I work fri, I have an older son who I drop off/pick up from school everyday - about a 20min walk each way. Consequently I feel as though I'm constantly stressed and spreading myself very thinly. Which is all fine until the weather gets foul and I find it all a bit difficult. Does anyone have any tips for a disciplined fitness/wellness routine on a low budget and how to stay on track when the weather is foul/looking after children?

Thanks in advance.

iheartshoes Wed 12-Nov-14 19:50:18

Marking place. I have gained 1/2 stone since sept through eating to much crap and not doing my early morning run in the cold/wind/dark. It sucks.

NeverFreezeLobsters Wed 12-Nov-14 19:51:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

camberwellred Wed 12-Nov-14 20:07:32

Yep, half a stone for me too. In about 2 weeks. I'm going to have gout by christmas at this rate...

BlueEyedWonder Thu 13-Nov-14 06:19:53

I'm a runner and agree it's harder when it's dark / cold. I try to keep running, even if it's only short 5k runs (I'm a comfortable half marathon runner). In winter, I also use a local centre for wellbeing and attend a high intensity aerobics class. It's nice to do something fitness related in the warm and dry. Another running friend of mine buys just a 3 month trial pass to the gym at the local pool and uses the treadmill for the worst months.
With regards to food, I also crave more stodge. I try and deal with it by making my own soups and stews.

ZaraW Thu 13-Nov-14 09:03:02

Running is brilliant for keeping weight off. I had an ankle problem so there were 3 months when I couldn't do it. I put 7kgs on as soon as I resumed I lost the weight.

TwoLittleTerrors Thu 13-Nov-14 11:37:36

I'm using fitness videos while pregnant with DD2 and am planning continuing with the postnatal stuff over winter. Have you considered them? I used to go to fitness classes and love them so if your budget stretches to that, I definitely recommend it.

Not sure about the biscuits as I don't actually have problem with them. Maybe just don't buy any? It works for me! (I know that's not much help at all).

carrie74 Thu 13-Nov-14 13:15:35

It's definitely harder - I keep finding at weekends I'm running out of daylight (I would often get the roast going, then go out for a run, shower, and it was all cooked by the time I got home - now it's dark when I put the roast on).

I've been seeing a personal trainer weekly for nearly 18 months which gives me the impetus to keep going in between visits, but it's not a cheap option! He's provided a couple of circuits that I can do at home - no equipment required, and I will sometimes do those if I have 20-30 mins available. It's basically squats, lunges, press ups, tricep dips, planks (normal and side), reverse crunches, cycle crunches, bridges, shoulder taps etc. All very doable - maybe do a circuit of 15 each (20-45 secs for planks), repeated 3 times?

30 day Shred is also good for a quick routine that pays results.

As for food, I have to admit to just giving into it - my body's presumably craving it for a reason. I usually put on a few pounds over winter, but it soon disappears again as it starts to warm up.

MelanieCheeks Thu 13-Nov-14 13:18:22

Big spicy vegetable soups, and fitness DVDs (lots on YouTube)

trikken Thu 13-Nov-14 13:22:20

Weighed Hula hoop. They are amazing and it doesnt matter if its sunny or raining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now