Talk

Advanced search

What Blusher???

(20 Posts)
Captainbarnacles1101 Wed 12-Nov-14 19:18:18

I have never worn it but I think after seeing some picsi need it. How do I decide what colours need and which is best?

SofaCanary Wed 12-Nov-14 19:27:13

I just got one of the Chanel cream blushes, it goes on beautifully and is dead easy to apply. Quite pricey but worth it.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 12-Nov-14 20:05:14

Try sleek or MUA from available from superdrug, fairly inexpensive brands so easy to experiment with.

I would go to a beauty counter in boots or dept store to see which colours they recommend. You dont have to buy but its good to get an independent opinion.

threepiecesuite Wed 12-Nov-14 20:06:54

I love the Benefit blushers, Dandelion is subtle and pinky, Hoopla is more bronzey. Little bit of reflector to them too.

trikken Wed 12-Nov-14 20:08:56

Sleek is good. If you want a subtle one with a light pinky sheen go for rose gold but if you want a slightly bolder brighter pink go for pomegranate.

Clarabumps Wed 12-Nov-14 20:15:46

I like Nars Orgasm. Suits most skinniness and just the right amount of flushed without looking like aunt Sally.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Nov-14 21:01:17

I've never worn blusher but suddenly hit my mid forties and I need it. Seventeen stamp blusher in bashful is fantastic or for a light bronzer seventeen instant glow is also great with no hint of orange or glitter.

swooosh Wed 12-Nov-14 21:05:03

Nars Orgasm. Suits everyone and lasts forever.

applecatchers36 Wed 12-Nov-14 21:12:53

Second benefit blushers Dandelion & hoopla are great. Also bourjois rose d'or is lovley about £8 for a pot.

dazzlingdeborahrose Wed 12-Nov-14 21:23:55

I second dandelion. I'm also a new convert to Dior rosy glow. Beautiful fresh windswept colour. Recommended to me on this forum.

Skinheadmermaid Wed 12-Nov-14 21:26:55

Sleek rose gold is a pretty well known dupe for Nars Orgasm.

DoingTheBestICan Wed 12-Nov-14 21:36:35

Where would you buy sleek rose gold from? Can you buy it in boots?

Carpaccio Wed 12-Nov-14 21:42:00

Sleek's powder blushers are very pigmented so be very careful and light-handed when applying. I really like the Blush by 3 palettes.

Mac make very nice powder blushers - they generally aren't so pigmented that they are hard to apply and they last really well on me.

I usually match my lipstick and blusher so they have the same tones.

If I only had one blusher, I'd go for one in the same colour as my cheeks when naturally blushing.

I'm quite fair (Mac NC15-NC20) with warm/yellow undertones and I don't think that peachy/orange tones suit me. They blend in well with the warm undertones but they don't look natural IMO - I don't blush in orange tones so I rarely wear those colours on my cheeks.

I like wearing Mac Quite Frankly Scarlet, Chanel Ultra Rose (this is a bit lighter and more shimmery than the pink colour in the Sleek Pink Sprint palette), Mac Bite of an Apple (reminds me of one of the colours in the Sleek Lace Blush by 3 palette) and Mac Prom Princess (this is similar to one of the berry colours in the Sleek Pink Sprint palette)

Chanel's blushers (both cream and powder) are lovely. For liquid blusher, I like Daniel Sandler.

For the powder blushers, I'd suggest a Real Techniques Blush Brush or a Mac 167 or 168. For creams and liquid, I'd go for a stippling brush (Mac 130 and Real Techniques have one too) - with creams you can use fingers if you prefer.

If you do apply too much blusher, you can tone it down a bit with your foundation brush.

ILoveApples Wed 12-Nov-14 21:50:08

I've heard good things about Dior rosy glow on here and elsewhere too. I ordered it a couple of days ago from Debenhams with 10% off.

BooDidIScareYou Wed 12-Nov-14 22:09:38

Oh I want a Dior rosy gold now but it's too 'spensive.

<pouts and stamps feet>

I use the Bourjois rose d'or like applecatcher but I always find the hinge on the pot breaks way before the product runs out. Incredibly annoying!

trikken Wed 12-Nov-14 22:39:10

Sleek you can buy from Superdrug.

Fabulassie Thu 13-Nov-14 00:56:35

Sleek is at Superdrug and Boots (although a big Boots, not a small one.)

I have found that a very intense blush - bright pink - will work just fine if you put it on very lightly. For me, the key is to use a very soft brush. I have the squirrel hair brush from Mac and it is impossible to get streaky results with it. I use a Bourjois blush (the very bright pink with the gold irridescent tone to it) and very lightly apply it to the apples of my cheeks.

Also worth considering is the Benetint, which is a red liquid (like beet juice). But you have to put it on a bit carefully - it is a watery liquid and so can be a bit tricky to blend.

As for cream blushes, I really like Revlon. I have a bright pink called Charmed Enchantment.

All of these are very intense colours, but it works well if you apply quite lightly. I discovered this fact about blush when I was a little girl and my grandma had some rouge that was literally a red caked powder. I mean it was pure red. A little pot of it lasted her many years as she would just barely touch it to her cheeks with a cotton ball. The blush in our faces is caused by blood, which is red. So I don't see a need to use a muted tone. (However, I am a fair-skinned person. It may well be that women of colour/with deep or olive complexions may actually need something that isn't pure pink/red.)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 13-Nov-14 15:16:08

My nan had a little pot the samegrin

I had a look at the rose d'or is it sparkly? It was hard to tell in boots.

Fabulassie Thu 13-Nov-14 15:26:48

Yes, Rose D'or is the shade I have and it has sparkle/shimmer to it.

I think they have another one that is the same colour (or close) but more matte.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 13-Nov-14 15:44:55

Thank you, I'll look for that one thensmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now