Talk

Advanced search

Coloured mascara - yay or nay?

(25 Posts)
Finbar Tue 11-Nov-14 20:43:25

I read somewhere that certain shades bring out different eye colours and I think L'Oreal do a range designed for various eye colours... but has anyone had any success with this concept?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 11-Nov-14 20:53:12

I haven't tried L'Oreal but I do like a navy, bright blue or plum mascara (I have hazel/brown eyes)

'Tis a bit 1980s but I like the look (not all the time though)

I have a mascara primer which is blue, it looks nice built up with a black or brown on the ends. Or colour the ends over black.

<<Disclaimer: I am an 80s throwback blush )

Madaboutthrows Tue 11-Nov-14 22:07:18

Max factor do a range. https://maxfactor.co.uk/make-up-products/eyes/mascara/max-factor-eye-brightening-tonal-black-volumising-mascara

UncrushedParsley Tue 11-Nov-14 22:15:29

I am over 50 so I wouldn't personally <old gimmer>

RudyMentary Tue 11-Nov-14 22:16:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RudyMentary Tue 11-Nov-14 22:17:19

Finbar Tue 11-Nov-14 22:34:47

I do remember the bright blue mascara from the 80s! Ideas thinking of something more subtle. The Max Factor ones look interesting

Hopefully Tue 11-Nov-14 22:58:26

Love a bit of coloured mascara. Plummy/aubergine shades, dark brown (not really coloured, but way better than black on me) and dark teal are all big faves here - I have hazel eyes.

PrimalLass Wed 12-Nov-14 09:23:18

I definitely look better with dark navy mascara.

burnishedsilver Wed 12-Nov-14 09:52:46

I played around with it as a teenager but wouldn't go back to it.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Wed 12-Nov-14 09:57:24

When I was younger I had a fluro pink mascara, and would just do the tips of the lashes in it, on top of heavy black mascara. Totally rocked that.

Now I might go for plum or navy perhaps if I was blending shadows in similar shades. Bright blue eyes, purple shades work well on me.

TheQueenOfSparta Wed 12-Nov-14 11:09:39

Yay! I use a green mascara - i have green eyes. Would love to try purple! I might try the maxfactor ones, they look nice.

TravelinColour Wed 12-Nov-14 11:10:47

SuperFlyHigh Wed 12-Nov-14 13:51:46

I found it really hard up until recently to find a nice navy mascara. Laura Mercier years ago did a nice navy one but discontinued it.

Bourjois used to do nice coloured ones.. Maybelline did a nice plum/purple one.... all gone. sobs

any recommendations for coloured ones not costing the earth?

RudyMentary Wed 12-Nov-14 15:30:28

justleavethebottle Wed 12-Nov-14 15:40:26

Just no.

RudyMentary Wed 12-Nov-14 15:52:22

Finbar Wed 12-Nov-14 17:19:22

What brands make them though?
I've spotted MAx Factor and Rimmel, plus YSl at the top end.
Amy others you can recommend?

SuperFlyHigh Wed 12-Nov-14 18:14:58

Finbar - yes what brands make them... and I discount any Rimmel bright blue stuff I've seen. best left for teenagers

RudyMentary Wed 12-Nov-14 21:15:48

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Wed 12-Nov-14 21:33:39

Benefit used to do a nice brown one but apparently it's been discontinued, just went to repurchase this weekend. Booooo.

rubyflipper Wed 12-Nov-14 21:37:22

I wear navy mascara (brown eyes). Black is too harsh on me.

ChrissieLatham Wed 12-Nov-14 23:26:04

Max factor masterpiece max do a nice deep blue one. Not obvious at all.

Dumpylump Wed 12-Nov-14 23:30:58

I use a navy one from Chanel. It's called Le volume de Chanel, or something like that anyway.....
Was out of stock in our local rubbish Debenhams last week, so am waiting for online purchase to arrive and have been using black mascara in the meantime. Dp has commented that my eyes look different, but he had no idea what the actual difference was!
I don't mind black when I've got on a fair bit of other eye make up on - if I'm going out in the evening or something - but it looks a bit much on me in daylight.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Nov-14 10:18:03

ah thanks Chrissie and Dumpy - I swear I did use a navy one from Chanel and then they either discontinued it or... I don't know...

OMG just googled and Kiko cosmetics do coloured mascaras for £5.90 - there are a few stores dotted round UK but also mail order they have a lot of colours but I will try them, there is only 1 review in English I think.

www.kikocosmetics.co.uk/make-up/eyes/mascara/Super-Colour-Mascara/p-KM00301008

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now