Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet haircut on shorter hair - can it really be done??

(28 Posts)
SirChenjin Tue 11-Nov-14 20:08:55

My hair is this length, although I have more layers cut into it. It's not long enough to get it all into a pony tail at the front of my head as the layers fall out of the elastic band. Can I do the Mumsnet haircut, oh wise women, and if so, how?

burnishedsilver Tue 11-Nov-14 21:06:45

Noooooooo. Step away from the scissors.

SirChenjin Tue 11-Nov-14 21:14:07

No no no - I need to!! Any with more faith out there please?!

PacificDogwood Tue 11-Nov-14 21:15:38

I'd like to know too - hope you don't mind if I ride on your coat tails, SirChenjin.

There's many, many YouTube videos with variations of the MN haircut though - might be worth a look? I've never been brave enough...

Mrsap Tue 11-Nov-14 21:35:36

Seriously, step away from the scissors. I did the MN haircut a year ago and only just recovering!

SirChenjin Tue 11-Nov-14 21:37:41

La la la I can't hear you grin

Pacific - not at all. I've seen posts from others who have had success, dammit. I am determined

PacificDogwood Tue 11-Nov-14 22:00:40

Her hair is not all that long <enables> grin

SirChenjin Tue 11-Nov-14 22:22:22

Thanks Pacific - I am off to find those scissors grin

PacificDogwood Tue 11-Nov-14 22:24:18

Don't blame me for the results but post photos on here

KikitheKitKat Wed 12-Nov-14 09:27:18

Ignore the nay-sayers, I've been doing it for years and my hair never looked better (in fact I used to hate walking out of the hairdressers with it all pouffed up).
If I remember rightly you can deal with shorter hair by doing the pony tail at the front first, then do another at the nape of your neck.
My advice is just don't take too much off, then if you hate it you can still go for a trim at the hairdressers.

pinkfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 09:46:24

I honestly think it's madness to cut your own hair- despite all the MNs who do so.

I have had bad, okay and great hair cuts. Many people don't know they have a bad or mediocre cut until they have a great one- and that includes me.

The best cuts have been done by guys ( as it just happens) who really know how to handle hair , who take an hour to cut and almost cut each hair! They look, play, cut, dry then cut lightly again once it's dry. I've compared this with 45 min appointments where the cutting takes 30 mins and there is no comparison.

How you could ever achieve the same yourself is beyond me.

SirChenjin Wed 12-Nov-14 12:52:57

I'm not trying to achieve a great haircut - I'm under no illusions. However, I am trying to save some time and money, and if it's a complete disaster (which it won't be, because I'm not going to take lots off) then I am sure a hairdresser will be able to straighten it up for me.

Kik - thanks, that makes sense.

pinkfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 13:40:18

Why would you want anything less than a good /great haircut though? It's false economy to skimp on something like hair because it's often the first thing people notice.

micah Wed 12-Nov-14 13:47:24

What's the mumsnet haircut? Did a search but nothing obvious..

Thanks..

SirChenjin Wed 12-Nov-14 15:16:35

If my haircut is the first thing that 'people' notice then I'm not interested in their opinions, quite frankly.

Mumsnet haircut here

PacificDogwood Wed 12-Nov-14 21:12:30

Have you done it yet??

<lives vicariously>

SirChenjin Wed 12-Nov-14 21:52:53

No, I haven't had time. I'm going for it at the weekend, I think, maybe, very probably, possibly grin

PacificDogwood Wed 12-Nov-14 22:08:44

And you are going to definitely, absolutely, certainly post before and after photos, aren't you, hm?? grin

SirChenjin Thu 13-Nov-14 08:06:18

Of course! not grin

ArsenicSoup Thu 13-Nov-14 08:17:35

<smells a backtrack>

I did this 15 years ago, before it was called the MN haircut. It was pretty good, in my memory (and on my old drivers licence photo) but I was a) desperate and had small children perma-glued to me and b) young and gorgeous.

Does anyone seriously recommend this for the aged but salon-hating?

MioMoo Thu 13-Nov-14 09:28:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ArsenicSoup Thu 13-Nov-14 09:32:32

You could nip into a school and use one of those guillotine devices Mio <helpful>

SirChenjin Thu 13-Nov-14 11:16:56

Someone posted a link to something called a createclip

burnishedsilver Thu 13-Nov-14 19:35:09

Sil cuts her own hair because she doesn't trust a hairdresser to do it right. She delights in telling everyone how good a job she does. We just smile and nod but it's not good. She'd look so much better with a decent haircut.

SockDrawer Fri 21-Nov-14 07:58:23

So after it all did no one do the haircut?
<pouts in disappointment>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now