Talk

Advanced search

What am I doing wrong with nail polish?

(12 Posts)
DoloresGove Tue 11-Nov-14 16:48:44

I use Sally Hansen Insta-Grip base coat, two coats of an OPI or Essie colour and then Seche Vite topcoat and STILL they chip the next day.

Is there anything else I can do just to get a couple of chip-free days? I don't really want to spend £30 every month on gel nails...

MozzchopsThirty Tue 11-Nov-14 16:50:15

Everything chips!

I spend £24 a month on gels and they are gorgeous grin worth every penny

chanie44 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:06:22

The only thing I can think of is to change the way you use your hands.

I'm left handed and my nail varnish always chips on my left hand as I use the tips of my fingers a lot to pick things up. My right hand does much better.

Carpaccio Tue 11-Nov-14 18:22:48

Some polishes last longer than others - but it's very individual...

I have found that using a nail hardener works wonders. I use one from Mavala. It's one of those with formaldehyde and that is only applied to the white bit of the nail once or twice a week.

Wrapping the polish can also help - it means that you paint it around and under the tip of the nail.

Wearing gloves when doing any washing up and generally avoiding having your hands in water helps too.

sergeantmajor Tue 11-Nov-14 18:28:12

Nail polish sucks. You're lucky if you get a day's worth out of it.

Salon gel nails last forever. But they're a hobby in themselves. If you have lots of spare time and cash, go for it.

I've come to the conclusion that life is too short for nail polish. And no man ever said "fwoargh look at the nails on that".

Athrawes Tue 11-Nov-14 21:49:40

I find that even gel nails - from a variety of salons - don't last more than a day and have concluded that this is because of how I use my hands - washing up, typing, separating bits of lego etc. I think decent unpolished nails look better than chipped ones.

Skinheadmermaid Tue 11-Nov-14 22:25:14

Essie and OPI always chip on me. Cheaper brands like Rimmel last a few days at least.

RudyMentary Tue 11-Nov-14 22:43:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChameleonCircuit Tue 11-Nov-14 23:26:35

I paint my nails for stress relief and because I think it looks pretty, not for any bloke, thank you grin

I mostly use a-England holos with Nails Inc Albert Bridge topcoat and get two or three days chip free....and I type a lot.

ChameleonCircuit Tue 11-Nov-14 23:27:20

Oh, and I tried gels. Took my nails six months to recover.

Charlieneedscoffee Tue 11-Nov-14 23:48:04

Before you abandon all hope try, American Classics Gelous. Base coat, gelous,nail colour, gelous, nail colour, seche vite. �� ��

itsbetterthanabox Thu 13-Nov-14 22:22:21

You need to strengthen your nails and then polish will chip less.
Use a nail strengthener as a base coat and use cuticle oil multiple times a day.
Wrap your tips, wear gloves when your hands are in water and keep nails fairly short. File with a glass file, only file in one direction and do a squoval shape.
Or get a manicure at a salon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now