Talk

Advanced search

What to wear to a 'Wear bright colours' funeral.

(6 Posts)
SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 11-Nov-14 14:04:27

My MIL is terminally ill - it seems likely we will be holding her funeral before the end of the month.

She has told me she wants people to avoid black for the funeral.

My problem is two-fold - my size and my utter lack of anything approaching a formal wardrobe. I am around a size 30-32, and as I have been a SAHM for 16 years, I have a wardrobe full of casual clothes - and I don't suit the tailored look at all.

I have bought a red coat - this one, from Marisota - but am now struggling to put together an outfit to go underneath it.

I have a few options - I have a tiered cotton skirt in navy blue, with patterns in red on the tiers - this would go with the coat, and my black boots, but I don't have a suitable top to go with - could I wear a jersey top to a funeral, do you think?

Or I have a maxi dress, in jade, patterned in various colours, that I could make into a skirt, and wear with a cerise top or shirt - but would that look dreadfully clashing with the scarlet coat?

Or I could make a skirt from a length of purple needlecord I have in my stash, and wear it with a fairly casual, cream coloured top.

I have searched ebay and all the plus-size online retailers that I can think of, but cannot find anything I like. I am the wrong shape for anything knee length or above, and don't want to wear something sleeveless - I think it will be too chilly for that, and anyway, my bingo wings are horrible and I can't inflict them on others!

Do any of the style and beauty gurus have any words of wisdom or suggestions for me?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 11-Nov-14 14:09:07

I'm sorry about your MIL.

The navy skirt sounds fine - I don't think it will be a problem wearing a jersey top - if the dress code is colourful it's probably not going to be too formal anyway.
The purple needlecord skirt does sound extra nice, though, if you can find time to make it.

JoanHickson Tue 11-Nov-14 14:10:15

Have you a photo of the dress you own?

I wore as a guest black with a colourful scarf. People were told to go bright, I found most did the same as me. I went to a child s funeral once and wore brown. We were told no black, people wore grey and brown. Sorry for your situation.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 11-Nov-14 14:14:54

Thank you for the advice - I will try to take a picture of the dress. I would have to cut it down and make it into a skirt - it is a very casual summer maxi dress - but I was planning to do this anyway, as I love the fabric, but it's a strappy dress, so my bingo wings mean I have to wear it with a shrug or cardigan.

If I could find a really thin shrug or cardigan that would go over it, that might be another option, though.

Off to search online again!

JoanHickson Tue 11-Nov-14 14:47:54

You could team it with a black polo on top? No need to adapt it then.

SDTGisASpookyWoooolefGenius Tue 11-Nov-14 15:01:59

That could work - or a thin jumper, maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now