Talk

Advanced search

Hand cream for chapped hands?

(21 Posts)
rollonthesummer Tue 11-Nov-14 09:42:10

My hands have started getting their fetching 'it's winter and the central heating is on' chapped look with the skin splitting very painfully around my knuckles sad

Can anyone recommend a fab hand cream? I bought Aveda Hand relief last winter (only because I'm very childish and wanted to tell DH he could get some hand relief in the bathroom if he wanted) but I can't stand the smell-it's horrible!

I had the Hemp cream before that from the Body Shop which was good but again, I wasn't very keen on the smell. The Norwegian formula one I found greasy and I tried the Lansinoh nipple cream that my SIL recommended but the stuff was so hard to get out of the tube that I gave up!

Can anyone recommend anything else?

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Nov-14 09:43:40

I love the Norwegian formula with the red lid, but hate the one with the blue lid.

BarryTheHatchet Tue 11-Nov-14 09:44:51

I find those big pots of Atrixo good value and effective. It rubs in easily but actually does something.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 11-Nov-14 09:47:04

I suffer with really dry, painful hands too. I use the Cien SOS Hand Concentrate from Lidl - it's the best I've ever found, even after spending £s on some creams.

It's about £2.99 I think. Seriously worth a try. It hardly has a smell either.

seasalt Tue 11-Nov-14 09:59:42

La Roche-Posay Cicaplast is the only one that works for me.

aprilwintour Tue 11-Nov-14 09:59:54

I don't like the smell of the body shop hemp hand cream either, but switched to the body shop 'wild rose' version and love it. Have to admit though I do always wait until the discounts are running, there's usually 30-40% off codes available somewhere wink

cardoon Tue 11-Nov-14 10:01:21

I'm with seasalt

Nattynar Tue 11-Nov-14 10:04:07

I second Atrixo. Get some cotton gloves and wear them overnight with the cream. Makes a hell of a difference and stops my hands from cracking. Just not the most attractive look! smile

HeyheyheyGoodbye Tue 11-Nov-14 10:08:31

Try Ultrabalm from Lush.

Mel0Drama Tue 11-Nov-14 10:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

burnishedsilver Tue 11-Nov-14 10:18:39

Silcocks base.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 11-Nov-14 10:26:14

Hi op, you've asked for other suggestions, so here's mine smile!

Cracked and/or bleeding skin in the hands (or feet) can be an indicator of health issues (worse in winter because of the temp changes, but that's not the cause necessarily).

Any condition which reduces the bodies ability to absorb the vitamins and minerals you need, or which causes skin inflammation, could be at the root of it.

I am specifically thinking of undiagnosed coeliac or other autoimmune issues with foods... Do you have any other symptoms that may indicate a reaction to a foodstuff? Gut problems, headache, rashes etc? If so it might be worth considering.

Also - triclosan containing soaps and hand washes, do you use these? I know quite a few people who get a reaction to these which includes cracked and bleeding skin.

I have never had this problem with my hands, but I did with my feet, and I was amazed when the cracks and bleeding bits healed (they had been there for years) after I went gluten/wheat free for other reasons.

Bowlersarm Tue 11-Nov-14 10:33:05

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream. The skin on my fingers is terrible for cracking every winter, but that stopped it last year.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 11-Nov-14 11:31:41

This stuff is great.
I get it from John Lewis as they usually stock it.
It's an instant recovery.
I use it on my feet as well.

SofaCanary Tue 11-Nov-14 11:59:46

L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream - incredibly thick and rich and smells good too.

coldofhands Tue 11-Nov-14 12:03:59

Put the tube of Lansinoh in your bra and it'll soften right up.

I use L'occitane Shea butter hand cream it's lovely

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 11-Nov-14 12:15:45

If you put the lansinoh on just the cracks over night, with cotton gloves as suggested upthread, they heal much quicker <bitter experience>

Lotil works for me during the day, and avoid the antibac gels if possible as this does make it worse

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 11-Nov-14 12:17:38

Also gloves when using cleaning products, surprising how many of us forget, jump right in with the cleaning then suffer the effects later!

ELR Tue 11-Nov-14 12:56:13

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream is the only hand cream that stops the awful winter dry cracked skin in dd hands I also like the Crabtree and Evelyn la source hand recovery.
If you want something cheap and cheerful Avon hand cream with glycerine is good and smells of roses.

carrie74 Tue 11-Nov-14 16:47:43

L'Occitane she butter for me too. Fantastic stuff and lasts an age.

bookwormbeagle Tue 11-Nov-14 16:52:22

Hi rollon I suffer with the same problem (had a thread on here recently about it so you'll get some good tips from there).

What's made a massive difference for me is to stop using liquid soap, as I think my skin was reacting to the SLS ingredient (sodium laurel sulphate I think). Since switching to plain Palmolive bar soap they've cleared up completely! May be worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now