Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a make up brand for a 65yo

(3 Posts)
Wenchelda Tue 11-Nov-14 08:41:03

Hi, my mum always buys her make up from Avon. She has mentioned she's fed up of it and that it often feels to too "shiny" on her. (Not sure exactly what products she uses, I think just the basics). She is thinking of going to one of the make up counters in debenhams for a make over and to try a new brand - any recommendations of which she should go for? She is about to turn 65 but looks a lot younger, is very fit and active. She has good skin but some redness/small thread veins on cheeks that she likes to cover up. Minimal lines/wrinkles (only really round eyes) Also do you have to make an appointment for a make up consultation or just turn up? Thanks

Carpaccio Tue 11-Nov-14 12:27:48

I would find different products from different brands as I don't think one brand does everything really well.

My mum likes brands like Guerlain, YSL, Clinique, Laura Mercier, Chanel, Estee Lauder and Dior.

I'd suggest to go for a tubing mascara (loads of brands have them - Clinique, Estee Lauder, L'Oreal and so on) as they don't smudge in the same way as normal mascaras - my mum struggles with that a lot.

Foundation - something with as sheer/light coverage as possible. My mum likes Guerlain foundations, but they are quite dark, so Estee Lauder or Laura Mercier might be better (and cheaper). I'd suggest to get samples of foundations before buying.

For lipsticks, my mum usually goes for Chanel, Guerlain, Dior or Clinique. I gave her some Chubby Sticks a while back and she loves them.

I'm not sure which blushers my mum use, but I really rate Mac - but most brands have good blushers.

She likes using Guerlain Meteorites all over the face.

I don't think my mum uses concealer, but I'd recommend Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.

For eye shadows, she usually goes for Dior or YSL palettes, but I've noticed that they crease on her and she doesn't want to bother with primers and so on. So if your mum might have the same issue I'd suggest a cream shadow such as Chanel Illusion d'ombre or Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour (and a Mac 217 or similar to blend it out with). Loads of other brands make cream shadows that set and stay put all day - Mac have their Paint Pots, Bobbi Brown have some eye shadow sticks too.

For eyeliner, I'd suggest a dark powder eye shadow or gel liner and a Mac 212 (or similar) brush to push the colour into the roots of the eyelashes - it's easier if not used to applying liner and if you can't see much without glasses blush and it's very natural - it just makes the lashes look full and really good.
Wayne Goss did a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IunkBu5L7z0

I'd also suggest to get an eyebrow product of some kind as the lashes seem to get more sparse as we age and the thinner brows can age us a lot. I like using a powder with an angled brush and then brush through with a spoolie.

Milmingebag Tue 11-Nov-14 13:11:37

My mum swears by Estée Lauder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now