Talk

Advanced search

Need to look after my ageing skin more - but on a budget!

(16 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Mon 10-Nov-14 20:45:10

Seems double cleansing is the way to go?

What can people recommend please? Currently use Olay Total Effects xfoliating wash and a Lancome toner ocasionally, followed by Total Effects Olay moisturiser.

Kundry Mon 10-Nov-14 20:52:49

Cleansing simply cleans your skin - it should be a cheap stage as none of the ingredients is on your skin for more than a few seconds.

I've never got double cleansing as I rarely wear makeup - it may be lovely but it isn't anti-ageing.

Also exfoliating wash won't be exfoliating so prob is a waste of money - exfoliating comes from acids not beads or scrubby particles. Toner is a waste of money unless it's an acid toner - I can't work out which Lancome one you use - acids are a must have for ageing skin.

Cetaphil is a nice basic unglamourous but brilliant cleanser.

The most anti-ageing thing you can do is wear SPF everyday.

Nillia Mon 10-Nov-14 21:14:03

I don't wear foundation and take off my makeup with a baby wipe. I follow Eva Frasiers face exercises and use the baby wipe to scrub my skin as she has suggested. I use Olay illuminating moisturiser after. Have been doing this for a long time now. Eat fats, oily fish, nuts, veg, fruit and salad, fresh mountain air, water, don't drink, don't smoke and smile a lot. People believe me to be late 30s which is great as I am 53. smile

AgentAlice Mon 10-Nov-14 22:44:17

I do similar to Nillia, no mountain air though envy, just fresh air. Currently using the boots no7 anti ageing serum, eye cream and moisturiser mainly because they always have so many offers (3 for 2, £5 off vouchers, points) and because it seems to work.

CoconutAmericano Tue 11-Nov-14 11:09:20

kundry or others in the know, could you recommend an acid based exfoliator please? Preferably inexpensive if there is such a thing. I have very congested skin. I think maybe an acid exfoliator may be the way to go

tellmesomething Tue 11-Nov-14 11:14:53

Watching this with interest

justleavethebottle Tue 11-Nov-14 11:36:07

OP, so are the products you're using right now not really making a difference? Or have you only just started using them and so therefore, can't yet tell? How old are you? What are you main issues?

I've just posted on another thread about double cleansing with Superdrug Radiance Cleanser and I find it just as good as the very popular Liz Earle Cleanser. I'm also a believer in the benefits of a daily facial massage.

HarveySpecter Tue 11-Nov-14 15:06:47

Yikes - what is double cleansing please?

Jungfraujoch Tue 11-Nov-14 16:04:14

Thanks for suggestions! I do try and drink plenty of water, healthy diet, exercise blah blah blah!

Justleavethebottle - I'm 52. Have used the current skincare stuff for a while but I've always thought it was good for your skin to try other stuff from time to time. If I'm honest it's probably more about being consistent with the cleansing, moisturising etc (I don't often bother with a night cream or eye cream smile).

I think I need some inexpensive skincare range suggestions and then go from there.

justleavethebottle Tue 11-Nov-14 16:24:46

Depends what you mean by inexpensive. What's your budget?

avagosling Tue 11-Nov-14 16:45:42

I'd go for natural oils, you don't want nasty chemicals on your skin. You can even cleanse with oils, moisturize with them, rose hip for example is my favorite anti-ageing oil, a little goes a long way so it's a very economical way to look after your skin

Jungfraujoch Tue 11-Nov-14 17:18:43

Budget? Not sure ... Maybe up to £20 each for cleanser/moisturiser/eye cream etc ..... Whatever else I should be using!!!

Like the sound of the natural stuff though avagosling too.

Kundry Tue 11-Nov-14 18:01:26

You need to decide what sort of approach you want - natural or science.

Even natural products are made of chemicals and many natural chemicals are known skin irritants esp natural fragrance. If you have oily skin, your skin doesn't know it's natural oil or not, it's still putting excess oil where it's not needed.

As you can see I go the science route! If it's properly tested and know to help your skin, I don't see the problem with using non-natural products - however they often just don't sound as lovely and luxurious.

£20 a product is a big budget - if you want more sciency recommendations there are loads of things in your reach

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Tue 11-Nov-14 18:35:37

I have ageing skin too, and have recently simplified my routine. I used to buy most of my lotions and potions in the supermarket but in the last few months I have switched to a hot cloth cleanser twice a day and a serum under my SPF CC cream. I also use an eye cream as that area is really dry. I agree with an earlier comment about buying cheaper cleansers, although the Liz Earle one I currently use is lovely and is lasting ages. I actually enjoy cleansing now.

avagosling Wed 12-Nov-14 16:04:58

If you read the labels of 'sciency' products, half of the ingredients you won't be able to pronounce, and if you do a bit of research, normally most of them are petrochemical derivatives, and there will be 1% of an active ingredient, I don't fancy paying for that?
I cleanse with castor and jojoba oil mix, moisturize with rosehip or tamanu. We don't even need all the marketed products... Also oils help to rebanalnce your skins oiliness, so eventually you will produce less oils as you're not drying your skin out with chemicals

Fabulassie Wed 12-Nov-14 16:37:50

A good exfoliator is the Olay Regenerist Night serum - it says something like "resurfacing" in the name and comes in an amber bottle. It has glycolic acid in it and it's very nice. Some say it can have a slightly tacky finish to it (I haven't particularly noticed, as I put moisturiser over it) but you wear it to bed so it doesn't matter.

I used to have those little white bumps (milia) and since I started using proper skin care products (including this serum) they have gone.

My routine includes now one of those Boots No 7 versions of the Clarisonic brushes. And I double cleanse - which means to first use an oil-based cleanser or balm followed by a water-based (but non-foaming) cleanser once a day (if you wear makeup every day, which I do.) You can google "double cleansing" to get more specifics on what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now