Talk

Advanced search

Need a plus size white tie dress. Help please!!!

(17 Posts)
Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 15:51:01

Hello! I have been invited to a dinner and the dress code is white tie. I have never been to one. Do I need to wear a long dress? The problem is that I am very fat with a post baby belly - the baby is 5 months but I still look 6 months pregnant sad And I would really like to look good as this is a special occasion, but I am starting to accept that it will not be possible given my size.

Do you have any suggestion as to what could I wear?

Many thanks!!

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Nov-14 15:57:20

There's a similar thread here with lots of links to some dresses in larger sizes.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 16:09:09

How tall are you, how large are you [size] - any good bits left [ankles, chest etc] smile

Oh - and budget?

Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 16:13:52

Thanks! I will look for it now

Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 16:15:50

Hi Thread! I am short, 161 cm, size 18-20 and I am thinking of good bits... not many, but I suppose my arms and shoulders are slimmer than the rest.

Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 16:17:51

I have a pretty face though : )

MrsLettuce Mon 10-Nov-14 16:18:16

What sort of budget? Any colours you love or hate?

MrsLettuce Mon 10-Nov-14 16:20:02

Sorry, posted too soon! White tie is indeed full length.

We'll find you something, don't fret flowers

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Nov-14 16:21:55

Sorry OP I forgot to post the link:

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Nov-14 16:22:11

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2227906-If-ever-there-is-a-year-I-need-to-look-good-for-the-xmas-party-its-this-one

ilovemydoggy Mon 10-Nov-14 16:22:57

Have you looked at the Gemma Collins web site? Sorry can't link as on phone. She does some lovely dresses and not too badly priced either. I got a few in the summer and was so pleased with them,

ilovemydoggy Mon 10-Nov-14 16:25:37

Hopefully this will work, this dress is lovely.

www.gemmacollinsofficial.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=90&product_id=421

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 16:33:33

If the dress code is white tie then that means a floor length dress or skirt and top/bodice as far as I know.

www.johnlewis.com/kaliko-silk-maxi-dress-black/p1741302
This is quite nice and simple and could also be shortened to a more useful length later.

www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-rowena-lace-maxi-dress-forest/p1611897

www.johnlewis.com/jacques-vert-chiffon-evening-dress-black/p1691383

www.johnlewis.com/jacques-vert-lace-peplum-satin-maxi-dress-green/p1741414

Any of these grab?

Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 16:45:20

Thank so much! Ilove: I like very much that dress though I wonder if the cut is too low for me - my breasts are not in the best shape after breast feeding.

Treadsoftly: Thanks! I think the Kaliko onw may be a good fit. Do you think I could order several in John Lewis, try them and return the ones that do not fit? I would prefer to try them at home and also the large sizes will probably be difficult to find in the shops, right?

It is indeed floor lenght and quite smart- I looked in a blog about dress codes. Luckily, I do not have too much of a budget constraint, though I would prefer not to spend more than 200-250 pounds.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 10-Nov-14 17:06:17

Pretty sure you can do exactly that though going to a store [perhaps book a session with a personal shopper as it's free and you can get them to do the leg work in advance and get the right sizes in] would mean that you could also try on the dress with spanx and get a new bra on the spot if required?

You could also look for something like this
www.johnlewis.com/chesca-lined-mesh-skirt-gold/p1695710

Renovatinghouse Mon 10-Nov-14 17:11:12

Good idea, will try to book an appointment with a personal shopper. Thanks!

izzybizzybuzzybees Tue 11-Nov-14 10:12:13

I have a coral coloured ballgown from bhs that I wore to a charity gala. It was a size 20 and I felt nice in it. I'm now a 16 so useless to me so considering selling on eBay... Maybe this is the time to do it!

Bhs and Debenhams wedding collections are worth a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now