Talk

Advanced search

Spray tan virgin. Should I?

(32 Posts)
Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:05:06

Should I? And if so, what advice would you give me? I know absolutely nothing about what it involves.

firstposts Sun 09-Nov-14 20:23:54

Absolutely, what's the worst that can happen smile

my routine is to exfoliate the morning of the tan. go to the appt wearing baggy black clothes, fabric bra and flip flops. No make up, jewellery, deodorant or moisturiser. It's really simple, just strip to your pants <or use the paper ones> the spraying only takes ten minutes or so. Different shades, so you can choose the result. Then no getting wet at all then wash off in the morning.

I have only had one bad experience <mahogany foot, it was very funny> and I've had hundreds.

I always feel I look better with a tan, sadly only lasts a week or so but best results for me are day 3, so I have the tan on a thurs for a sat night out.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:28:08

Thanks for the details firstposts that taught me a lot (so many things I hadn't considered). It's in preparation for a wedding on Saturday, so I could be left looking very silly.

How much care should I take with the exfoliation in the morning? Do you get the tan topless?

What do you mean by wash off in the morning?? Does this mean I'll get tan all over the bed linen?

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:28:26

Another question - do they do your face too?

sillymillyb Sun 09-Nov-14 20:30:58

I always go topless, you leave it on over night so it can come off on your bedding - I sleep on a towel or just do it the night before laundry day.

Oh! And yes they do your face, just hold your breath. Honestly, they are amazing. You will be fine!

Only1scoop Sun 09-Nov-14 20:34:50

I did your post back in August had a wedding and holiday....

I took the advice on here I exfoliated and moisturised the night before....

I looked like an Oompa Loompa for the first 2 days but by the time wedding came it was fine....

I kept pants on blush

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:34:52

You have been so helpful, thank you.

What are your thoughts on whether to go to a shop or book a mobile? The shops seem to cost £20, but I live out in the sticks. Mobile is £15.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:35:59

I looked like an Oompa Loompa

Uh oh.

Only1scoop Sun 09-Nov-14 20:37:20

Yes topless and have face done aswell....yes you do an initial kind of wash off the next day and you are left with a toned down look.

Remember to remove deodorant etc as that can go green confused

I had a Mobile she turned up with a tent and a ghost buster type sprayer blush

sillymillyb Sun 09-Nov-14 20:38:43

Hmmmm, I'd prob goto a shop for my first one... I don't know what I'm basing that on though as I use mobiles as well! Ring a few and ask if they do several shades - that's the most important thing I think, ask for a natural one.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Sun 09-Nov-14 20:40:07

There are loads of tans available now that you can wash off after 2 to 4 hours but the tan keeps on developing overnight.

I use Moroccan Tan which is a lovely brown with no orange and it's available in 6 different shades.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:41:08

I think I'm thinking myself out of this blush

firstposts Sun 09-Nov-14 20:42:01

You won't look silly, just glowy! My bad experience was a random one off, I stood in some neat product and didn't realise.

Yes, not going to lie your bed sheets and pillow will be slightly orange in the morning but it washes out! You are topless, but they won't bat an eye and yes, they do your face. It has a strange side effect for me of clearing up spots <result!>

Just a body scrub is fine for exfoliation, they may dab moisturiser on your ankles, wrists and nails to prevent the product clinging.

Go for it! If you are nervous just make sure you are washing off day before the wedding not morning of. That way in the extremely unlikely event of a patch they can sort it. Oh, just wondering if they might want to do a patch test if you've never had one? Might mean a quick trip 24 hrs before tan? Depends on the salon policy.

Honestly, go for it, it's a nice treat.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:42:10

Clean do you mean spray tans, or one you apply yourself?

Only1scoop Sun 09-Nov-14 20:44:28

If wedding is sat I'd probably have it Wednesday or Thursday.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:45:33

psyches self up

sillymillyb Sun 09-Nov-14 20:45:57

Honestly, they are fine - you are over thinking it! Just ask for a more natural look. Alternatively, a more expensive option that you may find more reassuring tho, is to go to a department store like debenhams or house of Fraser and get a Clarins / st tropez fake tan applied. They exfoliate you then put cream on. A lot more expensive though.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Sun 09-Nov-14 20:46:31

Spray tans. And having someone mobile is better imo as they come to your home, you get sprayed and then can just throw on an old dressing gown, no bra and not have to worry about walking, driving, getting the bus home looking like you've been dipped in gravy browning.

firstposts Sun 09-Nov-14 20:46:37

I use a mobile lady, she's great. If deciding between two suppliers do you know anyone whose used either one? Recommendations are good, but my disaster tan was a 47 quid shock salon, and my usual mobile lady is 15 and brilliant

Only1scoop Sun 09-Nov-14 20:46:40

Yes just say you want a natural look....

firstposts Sun 09-Nov-14 20:52:11

I found the application one a bit mortifying though, when they have to rub your boobs. It's a lot more intimate than being sprayed <prude>

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 20:53:34

Woah, I didn't know there was such a think first!

Would I be ok getting a massage on Friday do you think? It's a sports massage, but she does use oil.

firstposts Sun 09-Nov-14 20:58:24

So the oiling after the tan? Fine I think, I always moisturise daily after a tan to make it last longer so no different really. Honest, it's a nice treat smile usually people don't even know I've had one as I have a medium/ light. you just look healthier.

Vivacia Sun 09-Nov-14 21:08:45

I want a very natural glow - just help with that "pore-y" look.

Vivacia Mon 10-Nov-14 14:30:42

I'm booked in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now