Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy casual, everyday tops?

(14 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Sun 09-Nov-14 17:52:02

I have got a bit of birthday money to spend and want to buy a couple of casual tops. I just don't know where to shop!

I got some nice summer vest tops from Dorothy Perkins and can normally find stuff I like in there. However, when I ventured in there over the weekend there was nothing - a scary mix of woolly Christmas jumpers and sparkly going out tops.

I feel too old for some shops and far too young for the others.

I'm 37, size 8, 5ft 6 so (theoretically) fairly easy to dress.

Thanks!

Mrsgrumble Sun 09-Nov-14 17:53:00

Oasis is lovely

Nanasueathome Sun 09-Nov-14 17:54:43

Joules or Boden
Also love Masai

craftynclothy Sun 09-Nov-14 17:55:18

Hush

Bolshybookworm Sun 09-Nov-14 17:59:24

Depends on your body shape. I'm long in the torso, so struggle with a lot of shops (especially as tops often shrink angry). The best ones I've bought in terms of quality have been American apparel- they don't shrink and hold their shape for years. I've got some that are 5 years old and still going strong. DP, H&M are good too. Gap are ok, but a bit boxy and sometimes shrink, sometimes are fantastic. Worst offenders for shrinking are (IME) Topshop, whistles, Zara and new look.

Watching this thread with interest- can't afford AA at the mo and struggling to find good alternatives!

carrie74 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:13:55

Pretty much Gap: Bowery super soft crew neck long sleeve Ts. Got about 7 of them (bought 3 this weekend during 40% off deal). Also like the basic/favourite/whatever it's called J Crew Ts, but they're tighter (and more expensive, although I got mine in US during a sale.

frankietwospots Sun 09-Nov-14 18:17:09

Uniqlo and Gap for me.

dexter73 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:24:31

Uniqlo and Gap for me too.

ThisBitchIsResting Sun 09-Nov-14 20:32:43

Uniqlo and Gap here too! grin

Good basics and wash well.

Marylou2 Sun 09-Nov-14 20:35:33

Boden and Uniqlo.Sometimes GAP.

Bolshybookworm Sun 09-Nov-14 20:52:39

Can anyone tell me how uniqlo come up lengthwise? I can only order uniqlo via the internet where I am, and didn't want to order a load of tops to find they barely cover my midriff. I've heard they're good quality.

BlueEyedWonder Sun 09-Nov-14 21:00:17

Yup. Gap, Boden or Oasis.

Marylou2 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:15:30

Uniqlo are pretty good on the length.I'm 5'8 and never have to do any pulling down.

Madaboutthrows Sun 09-Nov-14 21:16:20

Gap. I bought some nice ribbed cotton ones recently and also bought some basketball type long sleeved tops from the sale rail for less than three pound each. I have some gap hops from last year still going strong too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now