Talk

Advanced search

Looking Old - Foundation Ageing Me

(42 Posts)
WingsofaDragonfly Sun 09-Nov-14 14:18:27

Just that really, whatever foundation I use (Le Teint Touche Eclet, Clarins, Clinique, Double Wear etc), all look terrible on me, settling into fine lines or disappearing on my nose and chin, and also seeming to accentuate my eye bags.. I'm 40 and feel hideous, is it time to give up trying to look nice, or can someone please advise me on the holy frail of foundation for this time of life.

P.S Please be kind I'm a long time lurker first time poster

ggirl Sun 09-Nov-14 14:22:48

I can recommend Mac face and body foundation , I'm 52 and you can't see it on my skin. Worth going to a counter and getting a sample as there are a zillion diff shades.

FabULouse Sun 09-Nov-14 14:30:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yazzy85 Sun 09-Nov-14 15:07:09

I'm 29 and have the same problem. Even lighter ones like double wear light still settle and look heavy. Mineral foundation I find doesn't have as much of an ageing effect.

cardoon Sun 09-Nov-14 15:15:38

Less is more I think, wore this yesterday and was told I look younger....

Lulabellarama Sun 09-Nov-14 15:17:34

Do you use a primer? I find that really helps with a smooth finish that doesn't settle into every imperfection.

AWombWithoutAFoof Sun 09-Nov-14 15:22:29

Fab, do you use the City Block as a sun protection primer, and put foundation on top, or just use it on its own? What is acid toning, and what sort of skin do you have?

OP, I'm reevaluating my foundation too, I just look knackered all the time. I'm starting with a skin overhaul first, more exfoliating and using Clinique Take The Day Off Balm. Looking better already.

FabULouse Sun 09-Nov-14 15:55:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

thisissohard Sun 09-Nov-14 16:13:26

Double cleansing has been a revelation for me. I use any thick unctuous cleanser first and then a nice gel cleanser. Nip fab do glycolic pads, which are quite good, though I fancy upping the strength and going for something from Bravura. But the key has definitely been the cleansing for me.

WingsofaDragonfly Sun 09-Nov-14 16:29:41

Thanks for all the responses, think I'll take a visit a visit to the Mac counter and if I don't get on with that might give up on foundation all together and just use concealer.

OttiliaVonBCup Sun 09-Nov-14 17:17:13

That's why I switched to tinted moisturiser.
I also used to mix some strobe cream with the foundation.

Carpaccio Sun 09-Nov-14 18:35:32

What's your skin like? Dry, oily, normal, combination, dehydrated?

What kind of skincare are you using?

Generally, I'd suggest a lighter coverage foundation and that you apply it with a good brush such as a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or Buffing Brush (or something similar). With a brush you tend to get a thinner layer and it looks better on the skin and lasts longer.
For the areas that need more coverage, I'd suggest a concealer.

I don't know what your skin is like, but I'd suggest Laura Mercier's tinted moisturisers (they have a few different ones so one might suit your skin) and the new smooth finish flawless fluide foundation.
Mac Face and Body is lovely. It can get a bit shiny on oily skin so if you have oily skin, you might need to touch up with powder during the day.
Estee Lauder DayWear BB cream is also very nice, but is very sheer. Estee Lauder Double Wear Light is nice too.

I find that if my skin isn't good and I've not cleansed, moisturised and all that, then my makeup will look awful on. So I cleanse every morning (I like Shiseido Ibuki Gentle Cleanser), then use an acid toner (Pixi Glow Tonic) and then serum/moisturiser that works for me - I have a couple of different ones I use. In the evening I use Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm to get the makeup off and cleanse my face, then tone again and use serum and moisturiser.

Bluebell79 Sun 09-Nov-14 20:41:42

Double cleansing at night made a huge difference for me too. I use the liz earl cleanser. As I've got older foundation isnt looking natural on me, ages me a bit. Was a fan of bare minerals for years,still wear it if I need my makeup to last. But tinted moisturisers/ bb creams look better on me, I like the liz Earle one, Laura mercier and the bobbi brown ones. Infact in the last week I was asked for ID twice, I'm 35. Cream blush also looks better on me, would say I have normal skin.

pinkfrocks Sun 09-Nov-14 20:54:09

OP I'm a firm believer in it's what you put in your mouth that affects skin more than anything you put on it.

How's your diet?
Are you getting enough good oils in salmon, sardines, olive oil, avocado, walnuts?

Are you avoiding booze, ciggies and sun? (Unless using sun block for the latter)

Are you keeping sugar and refined carbs to a once a week treat in small amounts?

Are you getting some daily exercise in the fresh air?

40s a bit young to be wrinkled, TBH, and I doubt if you are as wrinkly as you imply.

On the cosmetics front, you might find a serum applied first gives your skin a really good plumping- I've just bought Estee Lauder Perfectionist serum as it's supposed to be full of anti oxidants and it leaves your skin feeling really soft and great as a make up base.

Marylou2 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:24:21

Some great advice here OP. I agree that double cleansing at night, Clarisonic in the morning, Liquid gold, spfs and good moisturisers give you a better base for foundation. My skin is better at 46 than it was at 36. I recommend By Terry Sheer Expert It's amazingly light and gives a gorgeous finish.I've tried loads of foundations and it's one of the best.Do read Caroline Hirons as PP mentioned The woman is a serious expert!

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 09-Nov-14 21:27:08

Although I hate Bare Minerals usually, I find their new Bare Skin serum foundation really good. It just makes my skin look better and more even, and you can put more or less on, depending on the amount of coverage you feel you need. It's not cheap, and you do need the brush, but you need so little (1-3 drops) that it lasts forever.

RudyMentary Sun 09-Nov-14 22:46:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Sun 09-Nov-14 22:58:48

I agree that less is more. I am 56 and either wear Boote no7 Intelligent Colour foundation or l'Oreal BB cream. Anything heavier just makes me look old.

hedwig2001 Mon 10-Nov-14 00:25:54

I switched from foundation to BB cream. Took a while to get the right one. I now use Boots 17 BB cream, applied using a Real Techniques expert face brush. Looks so much better! I'm 49.

pinkfrocks Mon 10-Nov-14 10:06:33

If you want a really light foundation then maybe try Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation- it's hardly any more than a tinted moisturiser- or the stick foundation of the same name.

Clinique Perfectly Real is light as is their SuperBalanced.

Clarabumps Mon 10-Nov-14 13:19:05

I'd also recommend looking at Lisa Eldridge acne make up application technique. It's really good. I know you don't have acne but it just teaches you to put on foundation where you really need it and use lighter coverage on other areas. It's on youtube. Someone on here recommended it on another thread.

Floisme Mon 10-Nov-14 13:25:26

I second the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation. It doesn't look like make up - it just makes my skin look better somehow.

SofaCanary Mon 10-Nov-14 13:35:33

I prefer to wear La Roche Posay tinted SPF 50 over my moisturiser instead of foundation, it looks fresher and more glowy and has the anti aging aspect of the sun screen.

A dab of concealer and a swipe of cream blush and I look half alive.

SofaCanary Mon 10-Nov-14 13:38:04

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum is lovely too.

Behoove Mon 10-Nov-14 14:09:15

Oxygenetix oxygenating featherlight foundation was promoted in The Times yesterday - breathable aloe Vera based. Anyone on here used it?
It's £44 so would like real people opinion before splashing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now