Talk

Advanced search

Bizarre and random clothes sizing...

(16 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 09-Nov-14 12:05:28

I have a pair of Next Relaxed skinnies in a size 10.

I have recently purchased a silk shirt from La Redoute. I had to get a size 22 as the size 20 gaped on the boobs.

So I have clothes in a 22 and a 10. How is this even possible?confused

OneLittleLady Sun 09-Nov-14 12:32:53

I've got all sorts of clothes sizes. Everything from a 12 to a 22. It just seems different stores cut differently, some on the small side, some on the large. I don't think there's any form of standardization when it's comes to clothing sizes so I just don't much care anymore what the label says. I don't know if it's the much talked about vanity sizing or just because different stores have different target demographics and therefore cut according to the assumed age and size range they are marketed to.

treaclesoda Sun 09-Nov-14 17:18:20

It's not even different stores. H&M for example, there was a discussion here the other day about how some people have one item in one size and another five sizes bigger.

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Nov-14 18:36:51

In gap I try 3 or 4 pairs of the same jeans.....same size and colour.... to find which fits. They are always all slightly different sizes.

BlueEyedWonder Sun 09-Nov-14 21:14:05

If I'm shopping in Next or M&S, I need a 6.
If I'm buying from Boden, I have to order the 6 & 8 as I can never tell.
Topshop I aways need an 8 in their jeans and trousers.
Gap and Banana Republic are ridiculous. I need a 4 or a 6.
Yet in H&M I sometimes need a 10.

dun1urkin Sun 09-Nov-14 21:17:15

It's shoes as well now! If you asked me what size my feet are, I'd say size 8.
Except in M&S I'm a 7.5
Except in Clarks I'm a 7 or 7.5
Except in Next I'm a 6.5 shock or 7

Creatureofthenight Sun 09-Nov-14 21:19:02

Those relaxed skinniest from Next are a bit weird. I have blue ones size 14 (my usual size), they are fine, but I got black ones in a 12 and they are too big!

Purplehonesty Sun 09-Nov-14 21:21:13

I bought two pairs of skinny jeans last week from the same shop. Exactly the Same style, just different colours.
I tried on the lighter blue and bought them both - the first fits really nicely, maybe slightly too big. And guess what, I can't get the darker pair on!!

treaclesoda Mon 10-Nov-14 07:08:03

dun1urkin, it's funny you should say that about shoes because my feet are a size 4 generally yet in Clarks I need a size bigger. The fact that you need a smaller size in Clarks makes me wonder if this sizing business is more complicated than I had always thought.

BlueEyedWonder Mon 10-Nov-14 07:30:41

The shoe size thing is interesting. In Clarks I'm pretty much always a 4. In M&S I sometimes need a 4.5. Yet the last few times at Boden, I've had to size down to a 3.5.

It makes online shopping a minefield!

SecretSpy Mon 10-Nov-14 07:38:27

I have those relaxed skinnies from Next too. Love them. But they are a 10 and I am a 16 round the waist so I think they are very generous indeedsmile
I have two pairs the same. One pair is a lot bigger than the otherhmm

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 10-Nov-14 14:20:11

Not the same extremes as some examples here, but I have some M&S trousers in exactly the same style but in sizes 12 and 14.

I cannot fasten the 12s, but the 14s are so big, I look like the after picture in one of those massive weight loss adverts confused. As they were less than £20 per pair, I just bought both sizes and if I gain or lose any weight, as least one pair might fit me!

Allinafankle Mon 10-Nov-14 20:02:39

I'm glad it's not just me - this drives me mad. I don't care if I'm a 10 or a 20 I'd just like to know what size to buy! I'm a large 14 and in M&S recently I tried on three different pairs of trousers. I needed a 16 in one, a 14 in another and a 12 in the last. I'm nowhere near a 12! And don't get me started on M&S shoe sizes ...

I won't go near H&M as it just scares me grin

I bought a jacket in Sainsburys recently too - normally need to size way up because of my boobs but ended up in a 14 and could probably have got a 12 if they'd had one.

It's so frustrating.

blodynmawr Mon 10-Nov-14 22:05:30

Agree.confused
I too have clothes ranging from a 12 to a 22 when I'm definitely a 16/18.
Nothing for it but to order multiple sizes and return (hence why I tend to shop in Boden and M&S due to free returns/proximity to where I work).

plentyofshoes Tue 11-Nov-14 16:49:40

I am a 6 in Next. I am not a size 6.

pinkbluepinkblue Tue 11-Nov-14 22:17:02

An 8 in jeans in next are a bit big on me. A Betty Jackson coat from debenhams today in an 8 drowned me.

I am not a true size 8!!! A couple of years ago I was possibly an 8 in SOME things when at my absolute thinnest, but never in a coat as I have broad shoulders. I am not at my thinnest at the mo by a long shot. Sizing gone mad!

Mental.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now