Talk

Advanced search

Accessorising for an accessories hater

(10 Posts)
treaclesoda Sun 09-Nov-14 07:51:45

Not that I hate accessories to look at, but that after a few minutes I hate the feel of wearing them.

I actually love what they look like and I love how they can make a plain outfit look so much more put together. But five mins of wearing a ring or a bracelet or a watch and I want to tear them off because I feel like they're getting in the way. Can I retrain myself? Or what could I wear instead? I do wear a lot of scarves but would love a change from that look.

Madaboutthrows Sun 09-Nov-14 08:32:27

Try belts op and then build up to other accessories.

BabCNesbitt Sun 09-Nov-14 09:48:36

Watching with interest as another accessories hater (can't even cope with scarves). I have worn a watch in the past and got used to that, though, so I guess it can be done! smile

tethersend Sun 09-Nov-14 10:39:05

I say don't bother. Just wear stuff that looks good without accessories.

PacificDogwood Sun 09-Nov-14 10:41:22

Another 'don't bother' grin
Having said that, I never wore rings but got used to my wedding band and I wear a watch - you know, to know the time, not as an accessory as such so I never change it.
Scarves can be v good to pull an outfit together. AND they are warm.

lurkingaround Sun 09-Nov-14 11:32:18

And another don't bother. Maybe theyre just not you.
I mostly wear my wedding ring and watch. (Which is in for servicing at a bloody enormous cost...apols tangent talk)

Or try smaller/more delicate bits? I like those layering necklaces.

noddyholder Sun 09-Nov-14 11:46:01

I love no accessories.Very elegant

mowglik Sun 09-Nov-14 12:08:13

Try wearing just one beautiful accessory like a gorgeous necklace which is probably least get in the way-ey, that way you won't have to cope with lots of annoying things at the same time

treaclesoda Sun 09-Nov-14 12:15:45

I mostly dress casually. I am a sahm, so no work clothes. But I'm not a tracksuit and trainers type of casual. So I suppose I mostly wear what appears to be the (much maligned) sahm uniform of skinny or boyfriend jeans, boots or trainers, tops and cardigans, that sort of thing. What I have in my mind is that I have one particular friend who wears similar type of clothes but always looks so stylish and pulled together and I think it's because she often has something on her wrist, or a necklace or whatever. Whereas although my actual clothes are fine (not super fashionable I grant you, but they're ok) I sometimes look at myself and think that it just looks like jeans and a T-shirt, whereas a similar outfit but with accessories looks like 'an outfit'.

But maybe if they're not me, they're not me.

Would a bit more layering make a difference maybe? Maybe that would give an extra bit of colour and interest. I do like clothes and feel better when I've made a bit of an effort!

treaclesoda Sun 09-Nov-14 12:16:51

ooh, I took so long typing my last post that I missed the post before it! blush.

Maybe a necklace would be a good starting point...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now