Talk

Advanced search

promoted at work-help me dress better please!

(9 Posts)
mofro Sat 08-Nov-14 19:03:47

Hi guys...just found this bit of mumsnet and need some help plz!
Ive gone back to work after 10 years of being a scruffy stay and work from home mum. Recently been promoted to manage a team of ten....all women and all much younger, thinner and trendier than me who make an effort every day to look good..Im feeling more mumsy every day!! Pls help!!

I wear black trousers every day- matalan, wallis and dotty p

mainly black cardies- never worn a jacket and dont know how!

Few different printed tops- wrap round etc from wallis , m& s
Mainly flats with some wedges and slight heels....feet always hurt thoigh in heels!!

I am size 16 with big belly so self conscious about tha too. :-(

I don't wear skirts or dresses and not sure how to wear them to flatter me shape and cover my body modestly ?? I'm muslim and don't show my legs- i do see ppl wearing dresses with trousers but not sure if its a good look?

Budget is also an issue..only tend to buy stuff in sales or on discounts so £20 max on a top and same for trousers.

any ideas, advice or tips please! Im 40 by the way and very safe in my style - black black and more black!!

Skinheadmermaid Sun 09-Nov-14 02:02:50

Would you wear something like this? www.pinterest.com/pin/431923420486214499/
Swap the top for a looser sheer shirt (with a cami underneath) and a blazer on top, and more tapered trousers.
another example
or something different
Try a long skirt instead? You can still wear leggings underneath for modesty/extra warmth and no one will see. You can wear a plain top and a cardigan over the top.
Eh, life is too short to wear shoes that hurt! Get some flat boots for winter and some nice shoes for warmer weather- ballet flats, brogues etc are all fairly stylish.

Skinheadmermaid Sun 09-Nov-14 02:04:23

Oh and you can easily find these clothes in Asda, Primark and Matalan.

Skinheadmermaid Sun 09-Nov-14 02:09:20

a better example of what I meant!

FeckTheMagicDragon Sun 09-Nov-14 03:25:31

Black trousers are fine, it's what you put on your feet and top that can change your whole look. Thinks that have worked for me - coloured (eg red, green or blue) shoes - not quite ballet flats - more like very low heeled courts. To brighten things up. Patent shoes or boots always look smart.

For tops - go for structured and longer shirts or blouses. I've also found tunic style ones over narrow leg trousers with flats Are both comfy and smart. Def loose the cardi - keep one on the back of your chair to pull over your shoulders if it gets cold.

And accessorise - scarfs to match shoes, nails, eyebrows & makeup - needs to subtle but classy - neutral tones. It's all part of the package smile

FeckTheMagicDragon Sun 09-Nov-14 03:44:09

Also - getting out of the black on black habit it hard, do it a bit at a time. Find an item that you like, something that you would normally 'save for best'. I found a pair of patent blue flats with a pretty bow on the toe and went from there. It was then followed by a silky blue blouse. Once I'd cracked blue - I went on to green smile

MadisonMontgomery Sun 09-Nov-14 14:59:20

If they are black bootcuts then I would ditch them - someone at work wears those cigarette pants & they look fab with nice colourful ballet flats & crew neck jumpers or a tucked in slim fit shirt & a cardi. Stay away from baggy or blousy stuff, it makes you look bigger than you are I find. And if you can't wear proper heels then flats all the way rather than 'comfy' heels, small wedges & kitten heels which can look a bit mumsy. Oh & a fab bag!

mofro Sun 09-Nov-14 19:34:04

Thanks gang!!
Skinhead LOVE those pics...might have to look into pinterest...never been on it!
Feck i love statement big jewellery to buy, but never wear the blooming stuff! Like the thought of starting with shoes and some basics and adding stuff to make it come together...
Suddenly feel motivated to lose weight too so I can go mad in the sales :-)
Thanks so much for your tips....think i might even get me a skirt!!

PretzelPrincess Sun 09-Nov-14 20:51:22

I wear dresses over leggings. A printed wrap dress is flattering on almost anyone and add a relaxed blazer to smarten it up. Definatly lose the cardi.
Boots and ankle boots work well with this combo. Plus Iook for dresses in the tall section even though I'm petite to get the extra length.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now