(37 Posts)
LeoandBoosmum Sat 08-Nov-14 16:40:47

Could some one please enlighten me!?

Mintyy Sat 08-Nov-14 16:42:14

What crepes stuff?

LeoandBoosmum Sat 08-Nov-14 16:51:50

Eg thread further up this board just now:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2216737-Gunpowder-Treason-and-Crepes

I've also seen stuff like Seasons of mists and mellow crepes or some such...

EdithWeston Sat 08-Nov-14 16:54:10

Um - stating the bleeding obvious here - but if you want to know, why don't you read them?

MikeTheShite Sat 08-Nov-14 16:55:02

I wondered this, I have read but don't get it confused

Mintyy Sat 08-Nov-14 16:57:41

What Edith said, but to save you the time it is a long-running style and beauty chat thread. I think they've been going about two or three years. When it started it was a thread about being menopausal and having crepey skin. The participants became known as crepeys and I guess it must have stuck. I posted on the first thread a few times. It's probably been longer than two years tbh.

LeoandBoosmum Sat 08-Nov-14 17:07:11

Edith... As it's a long-established thing (as Mintyy now tells me), even reading the threads here is not helpful. It's been going so long, I guess, that the messages don't go explaining themselves (it's for those in the know, the initiated etc!) I have read a few threads and drawn a blank, just like MiketheShite. I could have read twenty threads and still had no idea what was going on! Thanks for telling me Mintyy... I'm out of my misery now! smile

HelloItsMeFell Sat 08-Nov-14 17:13:44

It's what's known as a Mumsnet Quiche. Do you know what a quiche is? It's the Crepeys Quiche. When they fill up a thread they start a new one, always with Crepe in the title, so people know where to find them.

ie., women of a certain age bonding over moaning about their turkey necks and thread veins and the impending doom of hot flushes. grin

HelloItsMeFell Sat 08-Nov-14 17:14:55

Reading the threads won't really give you much of a clue as to the 'crepe' references because the threads are just chit chat and have no specific topic as such.

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 17:15:31

I've also always wondered this! I have had a wee read but didn't really get it apart from the S&B stuff obviously.

santamarianovella Sat 08-Nov-14 17:39:03

I thought it was about British expat women living in France hence the "crepes" blush,
Thanks for clearing that, always wanted to know what it was about, smile

andsmile Sat 08-Nov-14 17:42:54

I once posted on a crepe thread as I thought it was a 'lighter' fashion thread. i got a warm welcome but after a bit one of them actually said to me if I wanted to be all fashioney I should try one of the other threads.

ppeatfruit Sat 08-Nov-14 17:44:08

OOh santamarian Shall we start one? (gets excited)! We're not expat but we spend 6 months in Fr. and the other 6 in forrin lands.!

QueenQueenie Sat 08-Nov-14 18:19:36

Hi there. I'm a long standing Crepey regular....

Mintyy has explained us well to you I think... we're a bunch of women, of a certain age, chatting / moaning a bit / encouraging each other... with a side order of s and b stuff now and again (but probably more about teenagers, dogs, career triumphs and disasters, ladyjogging, food, personal dramas, family crap, health stuff, pretty much anything that occurs to us really.

We're very friendly. New crepeys always welcome to drop in and / or join us!

bettykt Sat 08-Nov-14 18:31:09

I now feel enlightened too and like Santa thought it had French connotations due to crepes blush good question Leo wink

CointreauVersial Sat 08-Nov-14 18:48:09

I'm another crepey. Heaven knows why we are in S&B; it's just chat really - about life, teenagers, aging parents, horrible bosses, the odd clothing purchase......But we all know each other quite well now.

As QQ says, anyone is welcome; a couple of the crepeys are recent additions and have been welcomed with bingo wings flapping open arms. I'm sure if someone told you to join a more "fashiony" thread it wouldn't have been meant nastily.

ouryve Sat 08-Nov-14 18:50:40

I'd always wondered if it was for fans of polyester grin

QueenQueenie Sat 08-Nov-14 19:11:33

Oh no shock. If it was that sort of crepe it would definitely be wool... we are quite tasteful you know...

RudyMentary Sat 08-Nov-14 20:19:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 20:21:55

That's lovely. I hope it's still going when I hit the menopause. I'd like to be a crepe.

RiverTam Sat 08-Nov-14 20:23:34

I always wondered this so thanks for asking the question.

What were the Avid and Wise (I think) lot about? And why do they seem to have disappeared?

PulpsNotFiction Sat 08-Nov-14 20:28:41

Ahh! So that's what it's all about. Sure it won't be long until I need your advice, pleased to be too young to join something at 43! grin

PulpsNotFiction Sat 08-Nov-14 20:29:54

Shit! I'm 44! Hahaha! smile

QueenQueenie Sat 08-Nov-14 20:31:47

Did you also want to say thank you for answering the question? wink
Us crepeys are sticklers for good manners - we have teenagers to train up you know...

SilentAllTheseYears Sat 08-Nov-14 20:36:54

I've often wondered as well, it never made sense to me perhaps I am too young

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now