Talk

Advanced search

Kids clothes

(37 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 16:04:15

So, dd is in need of some new clothes to get through the winter. Having looked at all the usual places , tesco, asda, H&M matalan everything just looks so , cheap and trashy for want of a better phrase. She hates skinny jeans and doesn't like gordy patterns or slogans across everything. I'm just after some smart but casual, comfy, reasonably priced clothes. She's 8 so it's just starting to matter that things look well made and last well rather than cheap stuff that gets ruined and then binned (which is fine for toddlers and young children obviously) .

So any recommendations of Web sites to look at.,
Tia

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 16:12:25

We like boot cut or flares jeans. I also want somewhere true to size. Places like H&M I find come up strange and the legs are massively long or the waist is huge.

LIZS Sat 08-Nov-14 16:14:40

Esprit, La Redoute

OverAndAbove Sat 08-Nov-14 16:20:09

John Lewis is quite good for cords and velvet jeans, that kind of thing. They have a good range of brands as well as their own label.

LaCerbiatta Sat 08-Nov-14 16:23:29

There's 40% off in gap at the moment. A few slogans but loads of plain things as well.

Second JL, specially the kin range.

Polarn-o-pyret is lovely if you can afford it.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 08-Nov-14 16:26:00

Lands end
Gap
Boden
Joules
Marks and spencer
Fat face

Unfortunately not cheap. Have a similar problem with dd also 8. She won't wear trousers at all except for playing sport in. H&m and zara clothing seems to fall apart after a wash or two. We found a couple of bits in sainsburys that were nice.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Nov-14 16:26:26

The Little Bird range at Mothercare is a bit more traditional than the more fashiony chains. I am not sure how big they go though.

Laura Ashley do girls' clothes. Polarn o Pyret are great, and Boden, but these all come at a price.

sleepdodger Sat 08-Nov-14 16:28:48

Sainsburys
Next
Boden
Gap

Mix and match above to balance budget

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 16:31:37

Wow thank you everyone.

Yes it's certainly apparent that I'm not going too get things cheap sad

There used to be lots of nice things available in tesco but the fashion seems to be these thin trashy tops at the moment which are not even cut very nicely.

Seems impossible to get a plain ish (don't mind the label name so much more the childish slogans or the slightly too old references if that makes sense ) zip up jumper. Or plain long sleeved top.

I'm hoping it's not just me being fussy but quality everywhere has massively dropped

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 17:29:36

What's gap sizing does anyone know?

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Nov-14 17:38:40

Gap sizing is on the small side, especially in pyjamas. I size up at least once; twice for pjs.

I got dd (3) some plain long sleeved Ts in H&m recently. They were in 2 packs; pink/purple and navy/white. I think it was white anyway.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 17:46:11

The Web site just gives xs s m l xl etc. I've no idea how that relates to kids clothes blush

AnathemaIsANiceNameForAGirl Sat 08-Nov-14 17:48:52

Good quality kids' jeans can be had for a few £ on Ebay. DD(9) likes Mini Boden heart patch bootcut jeans and I normally pay £6-£10 per pair.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 08-Nov-14 18:26:11

Also look in decathlon if you have one nearby. Not always successful but we have got a couple of bits. Also just got a fab coat in Costco for less than £20.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 08-Nov-14 18:27:43

We find gap on the small side. Dd's current gap clothes are a medium but no room for growth really so been buying l for this winter but no trousers. A bigger size might not work if tall and slim.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 18:28:30

We don't have anywhere decent near by. I've found some nice bits on line but at several different sites mentioned above which means lots of delivery charges <head.desk> I'm going to look at eBay later

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 18:30:21

Yes she's pretty slim. Still fits in some 4-5 stuff. If tops are long enough to cover tummy they usually hang off her. And trousers long enough are too big. Pain in the arse

imip Sat 08-Nov-14 18:43:31

Yy to kin at John lewis. At the sales, the prices are by cheap. I stock up at sales for the year ahead. I also do this at po.p (but dds are getting older). Cos has some lovely things. Marks has some nice stuff also.

Of all the brands, I find myself handing down the po.p stuff to the 4th dd and still n good nick.

Oly4 Sat 08-Nov-14 19:08:30

John Lewis sale at xmas is usually half price so worth considering.
I buy from Polarn o pyret in the sales, M&S, JL, Gap

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 19:28:08

There's a sale at Xmas? Excellent .that will do nicely.

Gives me time to sort out her wardrobe to

bettykt Sat 08-Nov-14 20:53:59

Have you looked in TK Maxx? I buy Crew Clothing there for dc which is good quality.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 08-Nov-14 20:56:52

We have a local tk max but can't say I've ever found anything.

I look in charity shops alot though blush

we have an m&s and a next but I'm not impressed with. M&s tbh most the stuff I've bought in the past two years has been crap.

Older stuff I've picked up in charity shops or been given seems to be better confused

MindReader Sat 08-Nov-14 21:08:30

I buy 'nearly new' for mine a lot.
I looked on gumtree and got 2 x Boden jeans, 3 x tops plain long sleeve tops, a pair of pumps, and a fleece - all Boden - the jeans seem new, the rest worn once or twice I think. For £10, plus postage. And the lady gave me two bikinis for her when she is a bit older.
I wouldn't put her in tatty 2nd hand stuff but this was like it was passed on from someone with more clothes than time to wear them.

I find, for new:
Sainsbury's Tu can be quite good.
Boden if you are flush (I only ever buy in sales).
Gap (ditto).
I find Next designs too 'old' and Asda and Tesco stuff is small/scratchy/shrinks.
M&S not as good as it used to be sad

captainswife Sat 08-Nov-14 23:57:56

If you don't mind "pre-loved" check out www.chicylittlemonkeys.com. They have lots of second hand but perfect branded clothing - everything from Monsoon to Dior. Some lovely stuff and good prices. Some things have never been worn - still got their tags.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 09-Nov-14 11:47:59

Thanks captain I've found some stuff and ordered. Still gotta check eBay when ipad is charged.

Will keep watching that site!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now