Talk

Advanced search

Petite too short regular too long

(16 Posts)
stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 09:59:38

I'm fed up trying to find trousers that fit.

Next petite trousers fit on my waist and not too tight bum and thigh wise, but are just too short to get away with. They look okay in the summer as worn with Birks.

Regular one's same size, too big on the waist and the leg is too long which means this time of year I end up with soggy bottoms. Can't go down a size as to tight on bum and thighs. Fed up with wearing clothes that don't fit sad

Sleepyfergus Sat 08-Nov-14 10:02:04

I know it's irritating. Can you buy the regular length and either get them taken up or take up yourself? Doesn't need a sewing machine, just lots of wunderweb and an iron, then trim off excess.

stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 10:20:56

I think I'm just an awkward shape. Small waist large bum.

I could take up the regular size 14 but it doesn't fit properly on my waist. Petite in a 14 fits perfectly arghhh

Bunbaker Sat 08-Nov-14 10:23:17

I feel your pain - waist 12" smaller than my hips and leg length between medium and long. I wish different clothes sizes went up in single inches rather than two inches per size.

cloutiedumpling Sat 08-Nov-14 10:31:11

I have the same problem. I now look for trousers which have a very straight leg so I can turn the hem over and take it up. I do the sewing by hand as I've found that if there is a slight taper then sewing by hand can accommodate it to a small degree, but if I use a sewing machine the stitches are too tight and the material can pucker. If I was better at using a sewing machine though I may not have this problem.

Marks and Spencer do trousers in a short length that can sometimes be OK, although the styles aren't always what I'd choose. I go to there if I need something in a hurry and don't have time to take it up, or if I'm buying jeans.

RaisingSteam Sat 08-Nov-14 10:39:06

It would pay you to to learn to shorten trousers. I have the same issue and have to adjust nearly every single pair I wear. I zigzag the cut edges and then sew up the hem by hand but I guess you could Wundaweb them. I do jeans as well although Gap regular fits me OK.

You can also take a small dart in the back to take the fullness out of the waist.
Mens' trousers are designed to be adjustable at waist and hem, why not ours?

WrappedInABlankie Sat 08-Nov-14 10:50:21

My next does short, regular and long length in normal and petite sizes can't you just get the short?

burnishedsilver Sat 08-Nov-14 11:03:34

I have the same problem with next. The waist and bum are not the same on the regular and petite. You'll have to go for the petite and let the hem down rather than the regular short.

CaulkheadUpNorth Sat 08-Nov-14 11:06:46

I have this problem too. I buy gap now as their petite ones are a bit longer it seems. Glad to know im not the only one though!

Bunbaker Sat 08-Nov-14 11:18:18

"You can also take a small dart in the back to take the fullness out of the waist."

To make a professional looking job you have to remove the waistband and sew it back on again. I don't have the skills to make a decent job of it.

stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 11:35:57

That's the problem burnished silver. If the petite and regular were the same proportions I would take up the regular and be grin .

Why would they make the regular larger on waist than the petite?

stihlhere Sat 08-Nov-14 11:38:20

Wrappedinablankie I haven't seen the short option on their website might ring the customer services but still think I would have the same problem of petite and regular not being the same size. Need petite but a couple of cm longer.

museumum Sat 08-Nov-14 11:40:56

I have the same issue in next - petite is just too short.

Try another shop? Dorothy Perkins maybe?

LittleG69 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:55:33

Same here, next petite just too short but the regular are far too long. I find new look in a 30" leg are just right me (5' 3")

YoungJoseph Sat 08-Nov-14 12:31:17

Rule of thumb...the more expensive brands have longer leg lengths in their petite range. M and S, BHS and supermarket petites are too short for me but Boden and Next fit just right.
I know the price difference between Next and M and S is marginal but I am comparing their basic ranges and M and S sell some v. cheap trousers and jeans.

burnishedsilver Sat 08-Nov-14 12:33:15

If you have a false hem put on them you should be able to get a couple of cm more out of the petite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now