Talk

Advanced search

Kids capsule wardrobe? Excessive pyjamas

(20 Posts)
Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 09:16:33

Apologies for strange title but i'm not sure how to word this.

I've just had a massive cull of clothes we don't wear. I know this is a random question but how many pairs of pyjamas do your dc use.
I'm trying to cut down on washing and I always seem to be washing pyjamas and lots of them. I'm sure my dc don't need 15 pairs of pyjamas each. I have three kids. I've put most of them in black bags to go to the clothing bin.
They're been left with three pairs. I've also left my sons with three pairs of jeans each.

I guess a better question would be, does anyone have a small capsule wardrobe for their dc?

JellyBellies Sat 08-Nov-14 09:48:33

My do have a small wardrobe. So, they clothes need washing at least once a week if not twice.

Ds1 is 5. He has 3 pairs of trousers and 3 to 4 long sleeved t-shirts. He also has about 4 pairs of shorts and about 5 to 6 short sleeves tshirts that were used in summer but not so much now.He also has school uniform.

Ds2 is 3. As he doesn't go to school he has about 5 pairs of trousers and 4 long sleeved t-shirts I think! Again he has some shorts and tshirts that he used in summer but won't be using them now.

Ideally they would have about 3 to 4 pairs of pyjamas each. They currently have too many as they were gifted some and I haven't done a cull!

I make sure that all the clothes they do have are stain free and in good nick. Also I tend to buy brands like jojo maman, Boden, debenhams, etc (I wait for sales!) because their clothes have to last a lot of washes.

Hope that wasn't too boring!

WaitingForMe Sat 08-Nov-14 10:07:55

My stepkids have very small capsule wardrobes which last them through a weekend. It means I have to wash a lot during holidays but DS is two so I'm always washing anyway. Even DS only has four pairs of pyjamas.

Kids grow so fast that I cannot justify an excess of clothing (especially as DSS1 and DSS2 wear pretty much the same size despite a three yet age gap).

burnishedsilver Sat 08-Nov-14 11:10:26

3 pairs of pj's each is plenty.

If they have a lot of clothes they outgrow them before they've had much of a chance to wear them.

AuntySib Sat 08-Nov-14 11:14:53

I'd have thought 2 pairs each would be enough once the DC are reliably dry at night.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 08-Nov-14 11:31:50

Mine have about 6 each but both are still in nappies so they get changed daily or every other day.

bettykt Sat 08-Nov-14 12:41:15

No capsule wardrobe for my dc but they too have far too many pjs. Every time I pop to John Lewis I come out with a pair of pjs for them, for some reason I can't resist them. hmm

mowglik Sat 08-Nov-14 13:21:02

I really need to do the same my ds has too many clothes in general, but pyjamas he has 8 sets and it means I can do 1 wash a week or 1.5 weeks and not run out.. I hate washing :/ he has 3 slightly youbger cousins though so at least the clothes get passed down and not wasted

addictedtosugar Sat 08-Nov-14 13:33:49

We still go through a pair a night here - mainly through breakfast mess.
So think were on about 8 pairs each (no tumble direr - suspect that makes a difference).
I have 2 pairs of PJ's I usually rotate between, and a third pair I really don't like that comes out occasionally when there is a PJ disaster.

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 13:43:47

The eldest two are at school all week and I do at least two washings a day anyway to combat the glut of dirty uniforms. They always come back filthy and there's no way they could use them a second day.

My sister is getting the boys (5,7) clothes for Christmas so I've just donated the remainder of their grown out jeans to the local church clothing project.
They can survive on two pairs until then.
DD (2) has more outfits but she does get dirty more easily than the boys. I just find that somehow the more clothes I have, the more I wash.
I don't know how that makes sense but it does.

I know they'll get clothes from other relatives for Christmas so I think i'll think very carefully about what they actually need and make requests. Would that be cheeky? Only if asked obviously.

Thanks, that clarifies things. I've also just flung a load of my jammies into the clothing bag as well. It seems i'm a pyjama hoarder. How does one person come to own 15 pairs?

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 13:45:13

addicted it's the breakfast mess that gets dd's too. She's good with a spoon but not good enough to not get Cheerio milk all down herself.

OOAOML Sat 08-Nov-14 13:48:27

It depends on how quickly they get through them, how quickly you can wash and dry them I think. 15 is I think too much, but 3 would be too few for my son, who still wets himself intermittently, and is also a messy eater (has breakfast in PJs, which wash and dry quicker than school uniform).

bonhomme Mon 10-Nov-14 18:02:31

Mine have each:

2 -3 pairs of pjs
3 jumpers
2 fleeces/cardigans
4 long sleeve tops
lots of T-shirts - to take on holidays
2 pairs of jeans
2 pairs of jogging bottoms for sports

Oly4 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:04:09

My son is 2 and has about 6
Pairs of pjs, 9 jeans/trousers, 10 or more long sleeved tops, about 15
T-shirts, plus vests, shorts etc. he gets filthy and I wash every day (though only iron once every two weeks so that's probably why he has so many tops). I do buy all his clothes a year ahead in the sales...

Firsttimemum2012 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:12:49

My 2.3 year old DS has 3 pairs of pyjamas which were 1.5 to 2 years. He is just starting to grow out of these and has 3 sets in 2 -3 years ready. I have found three pairs plenty, one wearing, one in wash, one ready to go.

Geraldthegiraffe Wed 12-Nov-14 22:50:44

Wow my daughter has fa too many clothes. They're often handmedowns but I have a drawer of t shirts (long and short), a drawer with leggings and jeans and trouses, a drawer of school tshirts/tights, dresses in the wardrobe... 5ish hoodies ....

I'm feeling challenged to have less. I guess if I bought new I might coordinate better.

Liveinthepresent Wed 12-Nov-14 22:57:55

I need to watch this and learn - honestly starting to think i need to do capsule wardrobes for DD and DS it gets out of hand.

Chipandspuds Thu 13-Nov-14 11:20:55

DS (almost 3) has:

7 x Pyjamas
10 x trousers
10 x long sleeved t-shirts
10 x short sleeved t-shirts
4 x jumpers
2 x coats
1 x shoes
1 x Wellington boots

I bought lots of the clothes second hand, good to have spares as he is still having an accident a day on average at nursery, plus I don't mind him getting covered in paint or mud if I've only paid a £1 for a t-shirt smile

carrie74 Thu 13-Nov-14 13:21:38

Mine are 9 & 7, and a capsule wardrobe just wouldn't work. Eldest has about 5 pairs of PJs, youngest about 7 (but still occasionally wets). But I find if they don't have at least 5 pairs of trousers / tops, when it comes to school holidays, we run out of clothes (eldest is on school camp this week, and I had to go out and buy her more jogging bottoms / leggings, as she mainly wears jeans at home and they were specifically told no jeans, due to drying out times. I also had to buy her a disco outfit hmm). 2 pairs of jeans wouldn't cut it. Then there's sportswear, "nice" clothes for special occasions...

cheminotte Thu 13-Nov-14 13:32:26

Both boys (4 and 7) have about 4 or 5 pairs of pjs but a mix of summer / winter and age, so both 3-4 and 4-5 for the 4 year old. Also a pair of long johns which can be worn as PJ bottoms if necessary.
School uniform is min 3 of each item so can do midweek wash.
About 3-5 t-shirts, trousers. Fewer jumpers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now