Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Faux fur coat - a very bad idea?

(56 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Sat 08-Nov-14 08:32:10

I love the fur coat with skinnies, sweatshirt, bobble hat and Converse look which I've seen around and discussed on here. I wear all of those apart from the coat anyway so it seems like a no brainer but just not sure I can pull it off.

I am 41, short and a size 12-14 hourglass. I've got messy cropped hair and suit quite a casual/edgy look (in my head). This look feels very me but am I kidding myself and will actually look like a bad case of mutton mum?

I've recently started a new job working with quite a few people younger than me and I am desperate not to be seen as the frumpy older one but equally don't want to appear too try hard.

The coat is this one hence my other post on the look for a discount code.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 08-Nov-14 08:33:24

Oh just buy if fgs

NoelleHawthorne Sat 08-Nov-14 08:33:47

I really like that one

Muskey Sat 08-Nov-14 08:37:11

Buy it if you want it's better than buying a real one

herecomesthsun Sat 08-Nov-14 08:37:43

Nice coat, I suspect suits apple shapes a little better than hourglass

Catsmamma Sat 08-Nov-14 08:39:01

noooo, that's lovely...and reasonably classic

I have a similar one, bit longer, bigger shawl collar...bought it in Richards of all places, so that'll tell you how long I have had it, and every single time I wear it everyone loves it.

Especially all the young things at work!

Marylou2 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:41:27

Get it today! Looks great. I love that look!

MissWimpyDimple Sat 08-Nov-14 08:43:24

Love the colour of that one! Looks a little shapeless for an hour glass though maybe? You need to try it. But in theory yes grin

AmberNectarine Sat 08-Nov-14 08:44:53

I've got it - I love it. I too am an hourglass. Have worn it pretty much non stop since acquiring!

NoelleHawthorne Sat 08-Nov-14 08:51:31

My only misgivings are :
1. All that bulk
2. It looks flaredy at the bottom

happystory Sat 08-Nov-14 08:54:33

I really like it particularly the colour. But you need to try it on, I've tried a few on and for some reason they make me look like a teddy bear, not the look I was aiming for!

CambridgeBlue Sat 08-Nov-14 09:03:26

It's the colour I like about that one but agree the shape may not be the most flattering. Suspect there are quite a few of these around at the moment though so will see what else I can find in town this afternoon.

Also agree about the bulk but a) I am hoping a bulky coat may make the rest of me look smaller! Or b) I'm tired of trying to look like a size 8 when I'm not. I'd rather wear what I like and feel stylish than choose more flattering but dull stuff.

BlueEyedWonder Sat 08-Nov-14 10:20:15

It's a good look. Just buy it.

Skinheadmermaid Sat 08-Nov-14 10:23:47

Are you a 14 on the top or the bottom? Because that will make the difference between looking hot and looking like a Wildling from Game of Thrones. (Not weight bashing- its just that the coat looks bulky)
That said, I REALLY like that coat and I think you should buy it, because I can't.

Floisme Sat 08-Nov-14 10:51:15

Damn the lot of you with your fake fur coat threads, I want one now! Will have to wait till the sales though.

Just of out of interest, when did it became 'faux fur'? I seem to have missed that one.

PinkOboe Sat 08-Nov-14 10:56:28

Debenhams have it on their website. There's a 10% off code on hotdealsuk

buttercrumble Sat 08-Nov-14 11:09:19

Love it , I'm 40 and bought a cream collarless one from topshop last week to wear for Xmas parties etc. I think they look lovely for winter , go and treat yourself smile

Ujjayi Sat 08-Nov-14 11:10:18

It's lovely. Go for it wink

burnishedsilver Sat 08-Nov-14 11:12:53

Its a nice coat. Buy it and try it but I agree that it probablly not the best coat for an hourglass.

NoelleHawthorne Sat 08-Nov-14 11:24:06

i wonder if this might be more chic
www.asos.com/Warehouse/Warehouse-Faux-Pony-Fur-Coat/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4492525&cid=6097&Rf900=3717&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=34&gridsize=3

Charitygirl1 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:58:19

I love faux fur so am hoping to stock up this season. I am an hourglass so really want a cropped length jacket with a collar - by far the most flattering shape for me. But all the collared ones are mid-thigh like this one, and the cropped ones are collarless, making me look breeze blocky. Woe!

But that is a gorgeous coat - if you're not as picky as me, go for it. If FF is your style, it's classic.

SofaCanary Sat 08-Nov-14 12:46:15

I ordered one from Topshop last night, there's every chance I'll feel like a dick in it but I fancy giving it a go too.

www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/jackets-coats-2390889/chunky-faux-fur-coat-3477764?refinements=Colour{1~}[cream]&bi=1&ps=20

frozenglitteryshit Sat 08-Nov-14 12:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SofaCanary Sat 08-Nov-14 12:56:34

Haha, the world in general is a better place after the second glass of prosecco grin

NoelleHawthorne Sat 08-Nov-14 13:06:16

I got this in the sale about 5 years ago and love it. It is less bulky than some around now and the collar which looks flat here, when done up, is slightly funnelly which is great if you are out in the evening and it is cold.
I would really recommend this.

its not mine obv ;)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: