Talk

Advanced search

What works for acne marks??

(49 Posts)
yazzy85 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:55:31

Please share you deal with marks/scars left behind from spots. What helps them fade faster???

GemmaTeller Fri 07-Nov-14 22:00:18

Micro-dermabrasion worked on mine

ZaraW Sat 08-Nov-14 07:38:40

Differin worked on my acne and scars from previous outbreaks.

MrsMaker83 Sat 08-Nov-14 07:41:25

I had terrible acne scars. I absolutely swear by Garnier Pure Active, its the face wash with the spikey brush on the top. It reduced the appearance if my scars so much. Lots of people have commented on how much better my skin looks.

yazzy85 Sat 08-Nov-14 08:35:32

Thanks. Microdermabrasion would be too invasive and I don't have them all.over my face, just the hormonal spots every month that leave behind marks sad

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 08:50:56

OOh! I was just going to post an update to a thread I commented on about 6 weeks ago but it seems to have disappeared.

I have been using acid toners and more recently Alpha H.

About 8 weeks ago I reached the end of my rope with my skincare regime and decided, after a pretty bad chin outbreak, that I had to do something about it.
I stumbled upon Caroline Hirons blog after googling and have been following her advice religiously.

I double cleanse in the morning with a balm cleanser, I alternate between Lush Ultrabland and Oskia Rejuvenating Cleanser. Then I tone with an acid toner (see blog for more details on the benefits) I alternate between First Aid acid pads and Bravura Calendula toner which both have glycolic acid/salicylic acid in them. I find the Bravura one slightly stronger so I see how my skin feels on the day.

Then Hydraluron serum, teeny spot which carries 1000 times its weight in water so massively hydrates the skin.

Then moisturiser, I use Organic Surge Blissful Daily Moisturiser which is lovely, non greasy and organic. And it's not too expensive.

Twice a week I ditch my skincare regime at night to use Alpha H. A lotion you put on clean skin and leave overnight. It's made such a difference to my skin in a few short weeks.

You also need to use an SPF during the day after using glycolic acid as the skin is more sensitive.

SO in short, I have been cleanse, toning with acids, serum then moisturiser and my skin has massively changed. Even DP said that it's amazing the difference to my cheeks especially. I'm still having hormonal breakouts but the older scars are fading. It's not a quick fix and you do need to keep on top of it but it has honestly changed my life. I was really self conscious about my pitted skin.

Now if I could just stop the chin breakouts I'd be delighted.

Kundry Sat 08-Nov-14 09:00:29

As Clarabumps says, the stuff that clears the marks quickest is the same stuff that prevents spots forming - excellent!

You should be using a simple gentle cleanser like Cetaphil (loads of fans on here including me).

Then an acid toner - I love Paula's Choice 2% BHA, Alpha H and Bravura London are really popular choices. As is the wonderful Effaclar Duo. If you have blackheads you need salicylic acid, glycolic or lactic for everything else.

Finally moisturiser - if you are still getting spots think carefully if you actually need a moisturiser at all. If you decide you do then it should be oil-free. Your skin doesn't really care if ingredients are natural or organic or not.

If doing this twice a day you are still getting spots you likely need prescription meds. If you have actual scars rather than dark marks then see a cosmetic dermatologist as laser or retin-a can be very helpful.

Have a look at Dr Sam Bunting's Q&A on here as she answers loads of questions on acne and recommends products as well. Caroline Hirons is OK but some of her advice is absolutely the opposite of that given by dermatologists (all the 'feeding spots with good oils' weirdness) and personally I'd stick with the dermatologists smile

yazzy85 Sat 08-Nov-14 21:50:09

Thanks Clarabumps and Kundry. I will look into acid toners and caroline hirons blog. What sun cream do you recommend to use on a day to dat basis?

Clarabumps Sat 08-Nov-14 21:58:01

I use Clarins Spf 25 day to day and I use Alpha H Factor 50 on the days after I use Alpha H as a precaution. The Clarins one is nice and light and my make up sits well after using it. Some of them can end up a bit crumby iykwim once you apply make up.

It lasts ages so it makes up for it's price tag.

HTH

yazzy85 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:00:25

Yeah I have the most trouble with SPF, I have tried too many to name and they are either too thick or breakout. I will look into the Clarins one, I use other things from their line too and they work very well.

Kundry Sat 08-Nov-14 22:31:43

I use Sunsense Daily Face SPF50 in the summer and Cerave Day Moisturiser with SPF30 the rest of the time.

Love the Cerave the most - use the night moisturiser as well as they both have ceramides and niacinamide in as well.

yazzy85 Sat 08-Nov-14 23:05:08

Thanks Kundry the Cerave one looks great!!

Shop Sun 09-Nov-14 08:39:50

Alpha H SPF 50 - the new protection plus one - during the autumn/winter and Ultrasun face 30 from mid spring until start of autumn.

They are the only ones that don't cause me to have breakouts & blackheads

Shop Sun 09-Nov-14 08:40:28

Oh and the Bravura Dermaflannel is brilliant on acne scarring.

noddyholder Sun 09-Nov-14 08:46:50

Decleor prolagene gel

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 08:59:20

Someone else recommended Decleor prolagene gel to me. I think it was featured in the guardian recently too.

Chocolou Sun 09-Nov-14 10:32:55

clara which hyularon serum do you use?

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 12:22:52

The one by Indeed.i got mine from boots. £25 on three for two. Not Tohe confused with the hydraluron moisture jelly.(which isn't as good ands different thing) it comes in a tube not a tub. It's lasted ages.ive been using it twice daily for twomonthsand I'm not even halfway through the tube.

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 12:23:12

To be not Tohe

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 12:23:36

Bloody app! Typos all over the place.

yazzy85 Sun 09-Nov-14 15:00:43

Have any of you tried the Bravura peels? The toner recommended by them looks very affordable for 10% glycolic acid content in it.

Shop Sun 09-Nov-14 15:12:08

I haven't tried the Bravura peels but everything I have tried from them has been great.

I use the Dermaflannel, hylauronic serum, acid toner & 15% aha gel. I would recommend all of these, great products.

Kundry Sun 09-Nov-14 15:53:18

I use the peels from SR Skincare - total bargain, v effective

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 20:04:17

I have tried the Bravura peels a few years ago. After a bravura thread on here. I can't really say how effective they were when I tried them because I didn't keep up with the skincare regime to go along with it. I's err on the side of caution when applying them. I'll see if i can find the thread on here about them. If I remember rightly there's a neutraliser that you have to apply after it?

Clarabumps Sun 09-Nov-14 20:06:31

Ah here it is. I knew it was here somewhere. I think this pretty much goes into everything there is to discuss about glycolic peels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now