Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Skinnies are now over- Times fashion

(111 Posts)
pinkfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 08:56:34

According to the Times supplement on Saturday, skinnies are now over; boyfriend jeans are the in thing.

Comments?

Bakeoffcakes Fri 07-Nov-14 09:00:29

I don't care what it says in The Times,smile

I suit skinnies, I don't suit boyfriend jeans so why would I wear them.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 07-Nov-14 09:01:48

Boyfriends look awful on me, so like bakeoff, I'll be unfashionable for a while.

SofaCanary Fri 07-Nov-14 09:01:51

Bollocks to boyfriend jeans, I'm wearing an old pair of brown bootcut cords, worn long and trailing over tennis shoes.

Very cosy I am too grin

mrsdavidbowie Fri 07-Nov-14 09:02:26

Exactly.
Article probably sponsored by suppliers of boyfriend jeans who have millions of them in the warehouse.

MrsMarigold Fri 07-Nov-14 09:03:12

All I can say is phew! Thank goodness I missed out on the skinny trend. It was hard to ignore but really bad on me.

ggirl Fri 07-Nov-14 09:06:49

Boyfriend jeans only flatter long and lean of leg imo

I've worn skinnies for so long now, I don't think I could wear any other type of jean. And I've recently discovered the amazingness that is Levi skinny jeans and I'm not letting them go that easily! Boyfriend jeans look great on some women but I personally don't like the look.

burnishedsilver Fri 07-Nov-14 09:14:17

The boyfriends can keep their jeans. They're awful. I'm ready for something new but I'll keep my skinnies until there's a flattering alternative.

ZaraW Fri 07-Nov-14 09:17:09

I think Skinnies are more of a staple they have been around for so long. I still love them but I also like the "luxe" joggers which are around at the moment. I do like boyfriends though.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 07-Nov-14 09:24:50

ggirl, I'm not so sure tbh. I'm relatively long and lean (32in inside leg, sz8) and they bury me. They look proportionally wrong, shortening my legs and making them look chunkier than they are. Yet my teeny mate, 4ft 10, about a sz12-14, looks fantastic in them, they look much better on her proportions.

elQuintoConyo Fri 07-Nov-14 09:33:32

I tried some on in H&M. Big mistake, I looked awful. Like a turnip in skinny jeans too.... think i'll just stick to skirts!

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 07-Nov-14 09:35:14

Lol @ turnip

Skinheadmermaid Fri 07-Nov-14 10:13:03

I don't care! -sticks out tongue- I've always hated bootleg jeans even when they were 'in' and boyfriend jeans make me look enormous.
I disagree vehemently that they are more flattering for pear shapes, you just need black or very dark colours.
Dresses are the most flattering thing, but not very practical for walking the dog in.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 07-Nov-14 10:18:16

I am glad they're over. They were done to death and worn by people who simply shouldn't have gone there.

SquattingNeville Fri 07-Nov-14 10:18:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JubJubBirds Fri 07-Nov-14 10:23:14

I love boyfriend jeans! (Not the really baggy ones though.)
<- I like these.

I think skinnies are better for A/W though, they're easier to wear with big warm coats and boots.

JustSpeakSense Fri 07-Nov-14 10:23:52

Yay to boyfriend jeans! My legs look like parsnips in skinnies!

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 07-Nov-14 10:26:42

Do you know what jeans I like? Those ones that look really 80s with turn ups and that taper towards the ankle. What are they called?

noddyholder Fri 07-Nov-14 10:31:20

Who cares what they say! I wear all kinds skinny flared bootcut boyfriend I see them as basics and good for different looks.

OneSkinnyChip Fri 07-Nov-14 10:31:36

They are not over for me because they lengthen and slim my pudgy thighs and make them tie in with my slim calves! Boyfriend / boot cuts just emphasize my thighs and hide my calves which are the bit I want to show off. Plus YY to the mop effect of dry, draggy jeans on wet pavements. Skinnies, stuck into boots - win win!

SirRaymondClench Fri 07-Nov-14 10:31:44

What footwear do you wear with boyfriend jeans though?
The model in the pic above is in heels but other than heels or pumps what else?
It's bloody freezing here and in Winter I need my socks!
I don't mind boyfriend jeans in theory because I was a 90s girl and they remind me of my beloved old baggy jeans but which footwear?
<adds disclaimer that SirRay was never in style anyway>

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 07-Nov-14 10:33:53

Ankle boots Sir. With a heel.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 07-Nov-14 10:34:54

I only really suit skinnies to so bollocks to that!

ginnycreeper5 Fri 07-Nov-14 10:39:43

Boyfriend jeans are a nod to the old mom jeans as they were known in the States.
They're slightly baggy and saggy and are really unflattering.

Jeans don't have to be tight, but they should be fitting.

I like a skinny that isn't too skinny and not too narrow at the bottom - in otherwords a skinny with a straight leg.
It's when they're too narrow and tight at the bottom that they can make your legs look like sausages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now