Talk

Advanced search

Hair straightener recommendations

(12 Posts)
sweetheart Thu 06-Nov-14 21:58:50

I need a new pair of straighteners and wondered what you would all recommend. I've had a pair for years, think they are real on or something, they are so old the name has rubbed off. I have fine short hair so nothing too chunk. Are ghd's really that special? I've got about £35 in boots points which I could use, or failing that ask for some as a Christmas present.

sweetheart Fri 07-Nov-14 15:33:25

?

wifeandmotherandlotsofother Fri 07-Nov-14 18:06:57

I love my GHD's, I know that they are expensive but I paid £80 for mine 8 years ago and they are still going strong after daily use, and having 2 teenage girls using them daily also. Honestly, they were worth it.

MmeMorrible Fri 07-Nov-14 18:29:16

Agree, my 8 year old GHDs are professional quality. I bought a cheaper pair to keep in my suitcase as I travel a lot for work but they were nowhere near as good and I gave them away.

Kurololi Fri 07-Nov-14 18:34:27

Cloud 9s. Moved onto them from GHDs a few years ago and I've never looked back

ThePortlyPinUp Fri 07-Nov-14 19:17:58

I bought myself a pair of GHD's a few weeks ago and they are far superior to all of the brands that I have had before. My hair stays straighter for longer and just looks much better. Mine were £89 with free delivery from amazon and worth every penny.

Littlepumpkinpie Fri 07-Nov-14 20:02:59

I brought my first pair of GHDs a few weeks ago they are fantastic heat up in seconds super sleek hair. I only brought them to see if my others were the culprit of frazzled ends as I have it cut very frequently so my hair dresser said try new ones if no better she would buy them off me to use in the salon. So far my hairs been ok with them so have now binned my Babyliss ones

suze28 Fri 07-Nov-14 20:20:16

I bought my GHDs seven years ago and they're still like brand new. Imho, it's just not worth looking at any others

flymetotheprune Fri 07-Nov-14 20:30:57

Cloud 9 are like GHD's used to be. Don't buy GHD's - they are now crap and break within 2 minutes. My GHD's are still going strong but they are around 13 years old. When the conk I will be investing in Cloud 9.

boobyooby Fri 07-Nov-14 20:36:02

I've moved on from GHD's too, bought myself a L'oreal Steampod - I love it

munchkin2902 Fri 07-Nov-14 20:38:46

I've got these

http://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/t3-haircare-single-pass-flat-iron-straighteners.html

Really good

ICantDecideOnAUsername Fri 07-Nov-14 20:49:50

I've got Corioliss C2. They are amazing.

I did a LOT of research before getting mine. From what I recall the best ones are tourmaline as they spread the heat evenly. You don't want aluminium. Corioliss are titanium, which is a close second to tourmaline, they spread the heat and won't chip like ceramic.

What put me off GHD was that when I emailed them to find out what they are (yes, I'm that geeky) all they would say is that they are powder coated aluminium. If the 'powder' (I assume a ceramic powder) chips off (as it has on my SILs) then they can snag the hair.

The Corioliss ones also have a temperature control so you don't need them too hot, you should always have the temp as low as it will go to straighten your hair as it does so much damage.

I've also got the travel version which adjusts voltage automatically. I think I got both from Miss Bollywood. It was a few years ago but they were on offer and had loads of freebies thrown in too. Being the geek I am I'd emailed Corioliss to see who their authorised suppliers were, as there are a lot of fakes out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now