Talk

Advanced search

Please help, I've suddenly got a moustache

(23 Posts)
Goanddoapoothen Thu 06-Nov-14 17:21:11

So I guess it's down to my advancing age, but I looked in the mirror today and it would appear I am sporting a moustache! I'm olive skinned with dark brown hair so the hairs are dark and obvious. I have no idea how to deal with this. What do I do? I don't want to end up with it getting thicker or stubbly. I'm pretty low maintenance usually so this is well out of my comfort zone, I'd really appreciate some advice!

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 06-Nov-14 17:24:52

If I were you i'd go to a salon and have it waxed off.

SauvignonBlank Thu 06-Nov-14 17:27:27

Philips Lumea, look at the reviews on Amazon. It's a laser zapper thing that does a block of hair at once. Worth the investment versus paying out for years of creams, etc. I bought one before the summer, and although I'm not olive skinned it worked well even though I had a decent tan. They are supposed to work best on paler skin, with dark hair though. There are loads of questions in the Amazon listings which should help with any queries.

Floisme Thu 06-Nov-14 17:37:42

I just tweezer them as soon as they appear. I won't pretend it's painless but it's quick and I haven't noticed them getting any thicker.

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 06-Nov-14 17:46:18

I bleach.

Goanddoapoothen Thu 06-Nov-14 17:50:58

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. If you wax or tweeze do the hairs not come back thicker, or is that an old wives tale?! I couldn't bleach, it would be more visible with my skin tone.

carrie74 Thu 06-Nov-14 17:54:14

I wax, the hairs come through very finely. Bleaching just gave me long blond hairs, didn't help at all. Tweeting would be too painful to contemplate. I've considered IPL (I have the Boots equivalent of the Lumea, and use it to great success on legs, bikini and underarms), but am put off with having to shave before treatment. Shaving the tache, even as part of a treatment is too scary a step for me to take.

carriewintermeadow Thu 06-Nov-14 17:55:47

After years of bleaching, using depilatory creamand tweezers, I've now got a Wizzit, bought from Amazon and it's brilliant. Costs about £9 and is a mini epilator for the face. It does hurt a bit at first, but is so quick and easy.

I'll try and find a link.

Floisme Thu 06-Nov-14 17:56:17

They do grow back but they don't seem to be any thicker.

carriewintermeadow Thu 06-Nov-14 17:58:19

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C4QWDUS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1/278-3702944-6154816?qid=1415296598&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Sorry, I'm on my phone so can't put in a clicky link.

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Nov-14 18:02:38

I have never done anything to my shadow except bleach. Imo that is the way to go. I use Jolen.

specialsubject Thu 06-Nov-14 18:03:31

cutting or removing hair at surface level has no effect on its growth.

Orangeanddemons Thu 06-Nov-14 18:04:28

But I find when they grow back, I look like I've got millions of tiny blackheads all over my upper lip. That's why I bleach mine.

That mini epilator was possibly the most painful thing I have ever encountered.

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Nov-14 18:04:44

I am also olive skin toned. I would do that first before touching it with anything else. Always remember my when she was seriously ill with stubble above her lip. Not a pretty sight.

ItsGotBellsOn Thu 06-Nov-14 18:04:47

I spent years getting them waxed or threaded at salons, but got bored of having to go to a salon every few weeks. I now just use facial waxing strips, and pluck out any stubborn buggers myself.

Bleaching gave me a weird, white fuzz shock

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Nov-14 18:07:00

cutting or removing hair at surface level has no effect on its growth.
I dont believe that. i never ever shaved my legs until i was in my thirties. Only because i should. The hairs on my legs grew darker and much longer. Same with my pubic hair. Never touched my lady garden then felt i should er tidy it up...the hair is now manic at the sides!! Sorry to be personal but this it totally true. Leave well alone and bleach.

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Nov-14 18:07:30

Only because i felt i should. I had hair on my leg but it was pretty fair and light.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 06-Nov-14 18:19:31

Don't bleach. All you get is a white moustache. Use Veet or Immac if you're not in the market for regular waxings. You'll need to do it about once every 2 or 3 weeks now.

SauvignonBlank Thu 06-Nov-14 18:29:37

You don't need to shave the tache before using the Lumea, from my experience. I would be put off that too.

XiCi Thu 06-Nov-14 19:26:57

Don't wax. Over time it pulls the delicate skin around your lips and causes fine lines. I use veet cream. 2 mins and it's all gone, and regrowth is very slow, for me anyway

loveka Thu 06-Nov-14 20:02:53

I have had one since I was 14. Have used everything, but the absolute best thing is wax strips I buy in Boots. Really gentle, not painful, cheaper than a salon. I love them. You just rub the wax strips between your hands, peel them apart then whack them on and rip them off
Honestly, they are the very best thing.

Greengardenpixie Thu 06-Nov-14 20:07:51

You get fair hair on you tache that is barely noticeable- not a white moustache!!! unless of course you have heavy growth there.

Minshu Thu 06-Nov-14 20:47:05

Search for epistick on amazon. Less than £2, it's a weird springy thing that pulls the hairs out. Not painless, but a few seconds every now and then is bearable to have a smooth top lip. More recently I've bought a Lumea and finding that to help as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now