Talk

Advanced search

Is this look strictly for the young & beautiful...or can us norms get away with it too?

(87 Posts)
Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:22:57

Here

and Here

I have leather leggings. I have leopard faux fur coat. I am thinking the first look for evening, the second for daytime. I am 43 and size 8-10.

lurkingfromhome Thu 06-Nov-14 10:29:40

Gorgeous. I love that daytime look. It's flattering, warm, stylish and quite adaptable. I have a plain black fake fur and am now going to attempt something similar with pleather leggings and Converse.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:33:12

lurking - they were my thoughts exactly. It just looks so cosy. I do think Converse for daytime - or at least flat boots - is the key though. It keeps it slightly "dressed down", iykwim.

Right, am going to brave it...unless everyone else piles on saying "nooooo!!!!" <sheep>

molesbreath Thu 06-Nov-14 10:34:41

I think its a lovely look

But I'm not brave enough to wear it !

nilbyname Thu 06-Nov-14 10:35:40

Yes to both! I have all the same class moments so may copy you!

Skinheadmermaid Thu 06-Nov-14 10:37:12

Yes definitely, I think it looks chic and classy but you need good make up and hair to pull it off.
Oh, and slender legs.

flipchart Thu 06-Nov-14 10:38:03

You would have to be careful how you accessorised it. It does have a touch of the Bet Lynch look going on.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:44:44

molesbreath - try it on a cold but sunny day when you can hide behind a pair of large shades. It's my fail-safe method of trying out any new look. I always feel more confident.

nilbyname - yes - go for it!

Skinheadmermaid (love that name) my legs are finally getting to be a shape I am really proud of, thanks to my current training regime. They are not supermodel endless legs by any stretch but they are slender & toned and I've found the leggings to be very flattering.

Flipchart that was my concern. That's why I think Converse, sweatshirt, and minimal/no jewellery. I love over-accessorising usually but I think it would look totally Edina Monsoon with those outfits.

ShoesAndPsychology Thu 06-Nov-14 10:56:54

Love the second daytime look, think I'll go dig out my leather converse & try it! smile

Bluegill Thu 06-Nov-14 10:58:30

Go for it. I love it and sport a similar look and I'm older than you.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 06-Nov-14 11:03:24

Awful, sorry! I hate it.

libertychick Thu 06-Nov-14 11:04:36

Definitely go for it. Love the look.

SinglePringle Thu 06-Nov-14 11:07:08

I've been wearing a variation for the past three years!

mowglik Thu 06-Nov-14 11:08:47

I actually think it looks more like a 30s lady look than twenties or younger..go for it, you will look fab!

Thestandingjokeoftheyear Thu 06-Nov-14 11:10:36

Yep yep yep! I'm 46 and would wear both these looks.

Romann Thu 06-Nov-14 11:12:25

I love it, except the converse I think it's hard to wear them without looking teenagey. I'd wear flat boots or a more grown up kind of trainer.

RiverTam Thu 06-Nov-14 11:20:31

I love it, though I think you'd get very cold ankles! But I am a weed in cold weather, I need full coverage.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 11:21:57

Romann interesting point. I've been looking at Ash Cobra hi-top trainers & thinking they look more grown up than Converse.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 11:23:08

Me too RiverTam. Hence the need for hi-tops or boots!

SofaCanary Thu 06-Nov-14 11:26:27

Agree with switching the Converse but I adore the rest of it.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 06-Nov-14 11:35:12

I'm 46 and I know I couldn't pull off the look.
But I'm short!
It's a good look on anyone capable of pulling it off no matter what age.

noddyholder Thu 06-Nov-14 11:37:18

I am 48 and dress like that sometimes not the leather leggings as I had a par a few years ago and just decided a bit naff on me but the coat hat etc is how all my friends dress day to day.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 06-Nov-14 11:42:29

I like it but wore similar in the 90s to be honest. Now that I'm 42 I'd be afraid of looking more Joan Collins than cool.

FibonacciSeries Thu 06-Nov-14 11:43:11

That's what I look like today. I don't wear leather trousers (no judgement, just not for me) but I'm wearing skinny jeans, Converse and a fake fur leopard print coat. I've also worn it with high heel ankle boots. I'm 40, petite and a size 10.

noddyholder Thu 06-Nov-14 12:06:05

I think it depends how you look overall. If you are very groomed and have a heavily made up look then it can look a bit loose women joan collins but if you are fairly natural looking I think it looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now