Talk

Advanced search

Is this look strictly for the young & beautiful...or can us norms get away with it too?

(87 Posts)
Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:22:57

Here

and Here

I have leather leggings. I have leopard faux fur coat. I am thinking the first look for evening, the second for daytime. I am 43 and size 8-10.

lurkingfromhome Thu 06-Nov-14 10:29:40

Gorgeous. I love that daytime look. It's flattering, warm, stylish and quite adaptable. I have a plain black fake fur and am now going to attempt something similar with pleather leggings and Converse.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:33:12

lurking - they were my thoughts exactly. It just looks so cosy. I do think Converse for daytime - or at least flat boots - is the key though. It keeps it slightly "dressed down", iykwim.

Right, am going to brave it...unless everyone else piles on saying "nooooo!!!!" <sheep>

molesbreath Thu 06-Nov-14 10:34:41

I think its a lovely look

But I'm not brave enough to wear it !

nilbyname Thu 06-Nov-14 10:35:40

Yes to both! I have all the same class moments so may copy you!

Skinheadmermaid Thu 06-Nov-14 10:37:12

Yes definitely, I think it looks chic and classy but you need good make up and hair to pull it off.
Oh, and slender legs.

flipchart Thu 06-Nov-14 10:38:03

You would have to be careful how you accessorised it. It does have a touch of the Bet Lynch look going on.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 10:44:44

molesbreath - try it on a cold but sunny day when you can hide behind a pair of large shades. It's my fail-safe method of trying out any new look. I always feel more confident.

nilbyname - yes - go for it!

Skinheadmermaid (love that name) my legs are finally getting to be a shape I am really proud of, thanks to my current training regime. They are not supermodel endless legs by any stretch but they are slender & toned and I've found the leggings to be very flattering.

Flipchart that was my concern. That's why I think Converse, sweatshirt, and minimal/no jewellery. I love over-accessorising usually but I think it would look totally Edina Monsoon with those outfits.

ShoesAndPsychology Thu 06-Nov-14 10:56:54

Love the second daytime look, think I'll go dig out my leather converse & try it! smile

Bluegill Thu 06-Nov-14 10:58:30

Go for it. I love it and sport a similar look and I'm older than you.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Thu 06-Nov-14 11:03:24

Awful, sorry! I hate it.

libertychick Thu 06-Nov-14 11:04:36

Definitely go for it. Love the look.

SinglePringle Thu 06-Nov-14 11:07:08

I've been wearing a variation for the past three years!

mowglik Thu 06-Nov-14 11:08:47

I actually think it looks more like a 30s lady look than twenties or younger..go for it, you will look fab!

Thestandingjokeoftheyear Thu 06-Nov-14 11:10:36

Yep yep yep! I'm 46 and would wear both these looks.

Romann Thu 06-Nov-14 11:12:25

I love it, except the converse I think it's hard to wear them without looking teenagey. I'd wear flat boots or a more grown up kind of trainer.

RiverTam Thu 06-Nov-14 11:20:31

I love it, though I think you'd get very cold ankles! But I am a weed in cold weather, I need full coverage.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 11:21:57

Romann interesting point. I've been looking at Ash Cobra hi-top trainers & thinking they look more grown up than Converse.

Ujjayi Thu 06-Nov-14 11:23:08

Me too RiverTam. Hence the need for hi-tops or boots!

SofaCanary Thu 06-Nov-14 11:26:27

Agree with switching the Converse but I adore the rest of it.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 06-Nov-14 11:35:12

I'm 46 and I know I couldn't pull off the look.
But I'm short!
It's a good look on anyone capable of pulling it off no matter what age.

noddyholder Thu 06-Nov-14 11:37:18

I am 48 and dress like that sometimes not the leather leggings as I had a par a few years ago and just decided a bit naff on me but the coat hat etc is how all my friends dress day to day.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 06-Nov-14 11:42:29

I like it but wore similar in the 90s to be honest. Now that I'm 42 I'd be afraid of looking more Joan Collins than cool.

FibonacciSeries Thu 06-Nov-14 11:43:11

That's what I look like today. I don't wear leather trousers (no judgement, just not for me) but I'm wearing skinny jeans, Converse and a fake fur leopard print coat. I've also worn it with high heel ankle boots. I'm 40, petite and a size 10.

noddyholder Thu 06-Nov-14 12:06:05

I think it depends how you look overall. If you are very groomed and have a heavily made up look then it can look a bit loose women joan collins but if you are fairly natural looking I think it looks great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: