Talk

Advanced search

If you have an athletic, no-curves sort of figure, what dresses do you pick?

(18 Posts)
sunflower49 Thu 06-Nov-14 08:53:52

I have never felt confident in 'dressy' dresses. I have small boobs, waist isn't much smaller than my hips-slim but not petite, broad shouldered.

I do have good, long legs though. So I often pick shorter styles.

If I go out to a place requiring a dress, I never feel confident no matter what style I pick. Other women seem to be either petite so look feminine in dresses, or curvy so,same. I just feel like a big blundering oaf!

When I worked in offices, a short (ish) shift dress was good for me, but for a going out to dinner sort of dress, I'd like to have one that I look and feel good in, but I've never managed it.

Do I give up on dresses, or is there a style for me?

Mumraathenoisylion Thu 06-Nov-14 08:57:05

Marking place!!

Also I tend to find fit and flare dresses give me a bit of a curve, nothing with big sleeves as that can accentuate the shoulders. A belt across the middle also can create a waist and some sort of feminine detail on the dress can help.

TwoLittleTerrors Thu 06-Nov-14 08:59:04

I just wear short ones that don't have a plunging neck line. Not sure if others think I look good but I'm happy with it.

Skinheadmermaid Thu 06-Nov-14 09:30:06

Those clingy midi dresses.
I need to lose a stone at the moment though and my arse is back to looking like jupiter.

carrie74 Thu 06-Nov-14 13:13:10

Nothing V necked. For work I wear Me&Em ruched dresses.

For dressy, I'd usually go for something high-necked, maybe a shift in a nice material (I have a black satin one with a cream sash at waist which is pretty classic), I've even ventured going braless sometimes, as long as it's high necked enough with no side gapes (I have a top and a dress that are highnecked but almost halter-neck, so tricky finding a bra that will fit underneath. Like this: www.baukjen.com/uk/shop/edits/alessia-dress-french-navy.htm).

ItsGotBellsOn Thu 06-Nov-14 13:26:31

I think you either need dresses that either play up to your figure or that add curves.

For playing up - shift dresses are perfect! You absolutely CAN wear them out and look chique. A 60s-style shift with dark or coloured tights and a mary jane shoe or heeled ankle boots is a look that really ONLY works on straight-up-down figures.

For adding curves (sorry for the Gok Wan terminology!), go for dresses that flare out slightly from the waist to create the illusion of a bigger hips/waist ratio. Peplum and 'wiggle dress' styles also give that illusion.

frozenglitteryshit Thu 06-Nov-14 13:33:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frozenglitteryshit Thu 06-Nov-14 13:34:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Platinumpennies Thu 06-Nov-14 13:40:08

The only style of dress that really suits my straight up and down figure are shift dresses. Dresses that give the illusion of curves don't seem to work for me. Am tallish, so waisted dresses always sit slightly too high, skater dresses flare out at the wrong point and wrap dresses just seem to look wrong!

Amethyst24 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:27:04

I have a similar figure and agree re shift dresses. The only waist detail that works for me is ruching - anything else just emphasises that I don't have one!

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Thu 06-Nov-14 15:18:52

Fit and flare works for me. It's worth looking at one of the huge galleries of Kate Middleton online as she has a similar figure. Ignore the colours etc as some of her clothes are a bit tame, but the shapes are good.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Thu 06-Nov-14 15:27:58

If I lacked curves, I'd get them by wearing the Whistles stretch silk dresses. As it is, I'm an hourglass so feel a bit self conscious in them. However, they are v flattering and feminine.

sunflower49 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:23:11

Thank you so much everyone, some great ideas!

I've tried waist definition before, it just seems to make me look as if I'm desperately trying to create a waist (and gives me 'love handles') so runching is a good idea!

Good point about Kate Middleton too.
I am now going to rifle through all links and recommendations and google for some runched dresses. I WILL feel good in a frock soon, determined!

photocop Thu 06-Nov-14 16:48:51

I have a Phase Eight ruched dress with high neck and no sleeves, above the knee. Shows off arms and legs, emphasises waist and hides flat chest. It's the dress I feel absolutely amazing in. They often do that style.

photocop Thu 06-Nov-14 16:50:05

Mine is printed but similar style to this: www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/occasion-dresses/skyler-crush-dress/202680254

Mumraathenoisylion Thu 06-Nov-14 20:30:40

Hmm, I was a bit Gokkish earlier too...apologies!

I bought this dress today oasis which is really thick material so non clingy and seems to make my figure look more ladylike. Looking for a nice big black necklace now because 'it's all about the accessories' oops there I go again.

sunflower49 Fri 07-Nov-14 01:22:35

I'm fine with any 'Gokkishness' smile

Whatever the opposite of that is, that's what I am when it comes to clothes!

sunflower49 Fri 07-Nov-14 01:39:39

I do like that Oasis dress!

I think I need to lose my aversion to shift dresses. Because I had a couple I wore for work in black and grey, with matching jacket I think 'Starchy/office dress'.

There are some fun, glam,classy ones around aren't there-I'm looking online now.

I'm lying, I did ONCE wear a dress on holiday that I felt good in. It was white with a tight (hold everything in!) under layer and a floaty chiffony outer layer...High halterneck, just above my knee and I loved that.. But I wouldn't wear it to go out in back home, it wasn't 'substantial' enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now