Talk

Advanced search

winter woolies advice please

(7 Posts)
thriftychicken Wed 05-Nov-14 22:48:42

i have a reasonable amount to spend on jumpers and cardigans this year but i know that next year i will be needing to be very thrifty. i want to buy things that will stay good the longest . I first thought that judging by the price tag , cashmere was the way to go but now im confused , does merino stay newer longer ?
what should i look for ?

thriftychicken Thu 06-Nov-14 15:51:26

ladeedad Thu 06-Nov-14 15:53:53

I had a nightmare trying to wash merino. Never bought it since. I've stuck with poly/wool blends and just resigned myself to mild bobbling.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 06-Nov-14 15:55:54

I've bought a couple of lambswool from Woolovers.
Washed with Woolite on a 30c handwash cycle before I put them away. I Might wear one tomorrow but so far, they feel nice.

(I think they were 2 for £45 )

thriftychicken Thu 06-Nov-14 16:08:30

not sure about lambswool as the one of dh that i borrowed was really itchy on me !
so , is cashmere not really a good investment then ?

Lilymaid Thu 06-Nov-14 16:16:27

I've always found that merino washes best, but always wash with Woolite or other "delicate wash" liquid.

leedy Thu 06-Nov-14 16:23:39

I think it depends on the quality of either - cheap cashmere will generally go bobbly, while I have expensive cashmere (Eric Bompard, Chinti & Parker) that still looks basically new after lots of wear, and in the more mid-range end of things, Boden cashmere is pretty damn good and machine-washable on a wool cycle. Merino is a bit less variable, I think. Usually wash it with Woolite and it comes out fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now