Talk

Advanced search

I really need a work bag but don't know what to get

(28 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Wed 05-Nov-14 21:56:14

I've just gone back to working in an office after many years working from home - very casual dress code so no problems there but I desperately need a bag. My lovely satchel doesn't hold everything and I am reduced to bringing my lunch and other stuff in a carrier bag - not very stylish!

I need something biggish and maybe a bit unusual. I definitely want either leather or a completely different material eg canvas, nylon - I don't want fake, faux or any other kind of pleather. Pockets/compartments would be good and black or grey would be my preferred colour with silver hardware (can't bear gold).

Grateful for any suggestions smile

Levantine Wed 05-Nov-14 21:59:07

Ooh I've got one but can't do links on the iPad. It is a lovely soft black leather rucksack by Kin, John Lewis's brand. It's a really good size too

Levantine Wed 05-Nov-14 22:19:44

It's called Meyrick

CambridgeBlue Thu 06-Nov-14 06:51:46

I like that but I'm not sure about a rucksack, they seem quite 'in' at the moment and I'd prefer something I can use for a while. Or are they a bit of a classic?

mrsdimmock Thu 06-Nov-14 08:38:42

this any good? NotOnTHeHighStreet is quite good for bags..

SuperFlyHigh Thu 06-Nov-14 09:56:29

I use a boring DKNY leather bag for day and a canvas tote for lunch.

Am very tempted by the Michael Kors bags though.

Levantine Thu 06-Nov-14 18:19:13

I know what you mean they could be out in a few years couldn't they. It doesn't sound as if you can wait for the sales, otherwise I would suggest mimi berry, but they are really £££ now.

LadyStark Thu 06-Nov-14 18:22:38

I have this and love it. Not particularly unusual but a great work bag m.hobbs.co.uk/product-detail?productid=0214-1294-020000&productvarid=0214-1294-020000-BLACK-1SIZE&refpage=bags&view=2&searchpage=1&pagesize=60

jamaisjedors Thu 06-Nov-14 19:14:55

That is really nice LadyStark.

I started a thread about this the other day but didn't get any replies [sob].

I am looking at the Knomom bags which I have seen recommended on here.

www.knomobags.com/uk/curzon-shoulder-tote-black.html

www.knomobags.com/uk/hanna-leather-slim-laptop-shoulder-brief-15-grey.html
www.knomobags.com/uk/devonshire-leather-marine-13-laptop-shoulder-bag.html/

jamaisjedors Thu 06-Nov-14 19:15:16

KnomO not Knomom!!!

jamaisjedors Thu 06-Nov-14 19:16:20

Actually a lot of those Knomom bags seem to have gold hardware which I'm not keen on either, will have to have a closer look.

CambridgeBlue Thu 06-Nov-14 21:23:13

Tbh I was hoping to spend a bit less than most of these although I like some of the styles. It would have to be pretty much perfect and last me a very long time if I was to spend 3 figures. Maybe I am being unrealistic though.

Scrumbled Thu 06-Nov-14 23:05:37

I now work at home but back in my office days ended up taking two bags. A normal regular bag and a lunch bag. I had one similar to this

www.lakeland.co.uk/19333/Mock-Croc-Lunch-Tote

There's quite a few adult ones around now.

NomDePrune Thu 06-Nov-14 23:21:26

TKMaxx currently have a lot if Paul Costello bags. They are all leather, in different colours, and typically £75 down from £240 ish. Sounds like what you're looking for - I'm getting one tomorrow. They are online as well as in store.

CambridgeBlue Fri 07-Nov-14 07:06:16

Oh great I will be in town tomorrow so I'll check out TK Maxx. Was ready to say thanks but not for me about the lunch bags but some of them are actually quite nice! That would definitely be a cheaper option than a new 'proper' bag, will have a look in Lakeland as well.

jamaisjedors Fri 07-Nov-14 19:19:05

I saw some much cheaper ones online which I am now considering too,

I like this one: www.laptopbags.co.uk/sushi-envogue-cherry-midi

TerrifiedMothertobe Tue 11-Nov-14 18:46:04

Check out Zara

redredread Tue 11-Nov-14 19:33:27

OSP bags by osprey are good and quite classic. TK Maxx always have lots in stock online, though I've never seen them in store.

RaisingSteam Tue 11-Nov-14 20:20:15

I specially wanted a messenger bag for lugging my not-particularly-slip laptop and papers - I have a black Crumpler laptop bag (this one but they do all shapes and sizes). I have a technical job so thought I'd go industrial chic.

RaisingSteam Tue 11-Nov-14 20:20:51

I mean not-particularly-slim laptop.

BikeRunSki Tue 11-Nov-14 20:26:11

In exactly the same situation as you OP, I got a large "Zatchel" satchel. The biggest one they do -17" I think. Fits a couple of A4 files and notebooks, lunch, umbrella (and laptop at s push).

blodynmawr Tue 11-Nov-14 21:00:07

I have one of these Boden Chelsea bags but in a bright cobalt blue rather than the navy.
Copes with all manner of crap including laptop, A4 notebook purse, other papers.
I was fed up of heaving around a small handbag plus a separate laptop bag...
Patent leather not my first choice for a work bag but is proving to be easily wipeable and not showing any signs of scruffiness yet after almost a year of daily use....
HTH smile

CambridgeBlue Tue 11-Nov-14 22:23:21

The satchel I've got is exactly that one BikeRunSki but I couldn't fit all my crap essentials in it comfortably let alone lunch - you obviously eat less than me!

I've ended up getting a really good bargain from the Next sale section - £16 for a roomy black nylon Pradesque (in my head at least) tote with chunky silver zip and ample room for everything I need. Very pleased with it smile.

WildBillfemale Wed 12-Nov-14 07:03:32

I recently bought a Fossil Sydney Tote (or may be called shopper, the largest one in the Sydney range) for work.
It's brilliant - built like a tank and holds everything. The one and only drawback is it doesn't have a zip but a popper though it has internal zip compartments so may not be the best for tube commutes etc but of you drive/walk/bus to work should be fine.

andadietcoke Wed 12-Nov-14 07:08:42

The long handled Longchamp Le Pliage shoppers might fit the bill. I have one as my London meeting bag and it fits in SW snacks, laptop, Chargers, kindle, notebooks and all manner of other things - it's cavernous. They do Le Pliage Personalisé as well which is a little bit more but nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now