Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully gone grey disgracefully? Mid-thirties & already so over dyeing hair, tips gratefully received!

(6 Posts)
SimplyDarling Wed 05-Nov-14 20:53:28

Evening,

I have a considerable amount of greys, I'd estimate around 35%, meaning I colour the roots every 4 - 6 weeks. I'm a mid brunette with long hair. I want to go grey, but not just in a fark-it-can't-be-arsed-so-I'll-just-stop kind of way (as a feminist I find nothing wrong with that way, incidentally; it's just not me). I have visions of maybe blending in the greys with highlights for a while, or adding in different tones, even something quite bold... or something.

I'm clueless, which is annoying because when it comes to makeup and clothes I'm pretty au fait. I've generally coasted by wearing my hair long, either down or up in a bun / pony my whole adult life. I don't really want to cut it (I'm 35) but I do want to get out of the constant monthly roots cycle.

Has anyone any experience of going grey in a slightly funkier fashion than a blue rinse? (Actually if I had snowy white hair, I'd love a blue rinse, I think.) Here's hoping one day.

Thanks in advance!

mooth Wed 05-Nov-14 20:59:37

I wish I could give you a helpful comment, but I can't. I just can't warm to grey hair on anyone under 5O.... Why?!

BiancaDelRio Wed 05-Nov-14 21:04:02

Helpful mooth, really helpful hmm

Come over here Simply. It's a recent thread with lots of people (me included) who are on a grey journey. It has lots of tips.

smile

Snapespeare Wed 05-Nov-14 21:08:19

I saw astonishing bright white hair in a blunt cut bob on a lady at the train station the other day. I craved it.

I'm 47 and probably around 40% with badger temples and a fair smattering around the top t-bar. At the moment I'm going for tobacco blonde highlights, but with a semi permanent dark brown at the roots (naturally dark brown)

Although I can't abide her, liz jones <shudder> did an interesting article (& yes, as a feminist, I don't think I should buy into a societal attractiveness ideal) click I'd consider something along those lines, but with brighter ivories.

Or bit the bullet and pixie-it. You'll have a chin length bob in 6-9 months.

BlueEyedWonder Thu 06-Nov-14 06:47:47

I'm late 30s and am around 60% grey around my hairline and through the top section but less so around the back. My natural hair colour is dark brown.
For a while I was home colouring it brown every 4 weeks. I hated doing itand was never overly thrilled with the results.
I now go to the hairdresser and have highlights in a couple of blonde shades just to blend the greys rather than completely cover them. I only have them every 8 weeks and the regrowth is ok.
I mind the greys much less now and am toying with the idea of a pixie cut and even less hair colouring.

SimplyDarling Sat 08-Nov-14 18:37:41

Thanks for the replies! I will check out the other thread and toy with idea of highlights - delighted to hear it's a possibility that might work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now