Talk

Advanced search

If ever there is a year I need to look good for the xmas party its this one!

(64 Posts)
OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 20:24:48

I have had a complete SHITTER of a year topped off with my not-so-wonderful 'D'H fucking around and effectively ending our marriage. I kicked him out at the start of September, work is chaotic (but should calm down a little by then) and god damnit I NEED to feel good about myself...

Now I am large... 18/20 sad I know - quite probably linked to the shitter of a marriage / year... however am working on that... I do have dresses that fit - but you know what, for the first time ever I want a new dress... just because I do!

I have a gut, a wonderful c-section overhang and thighs as thick as trees.... someone please help me look and feel good in a dress at Christmas! There is a free bar, free hotel overnight and I want to have fun and make the most of it!

<quietly goes back to feeling shit about everything and trying to be positive>

Charitygirl1 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:30:58

For some reason this appeals, unless you're v tall?

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/lyra-floral-crepe-dress/202698492

I am rubbish at this but I hope somebody finds you something perfect for FUN!

googietheegg Wed 05-Nov-14 20:31:25

Good on you! I vote for a fabulous but plain new black or navy dress and then have awesome makeup and bright red nails. Maybe a sparkly necklace too.

John Lewis is a good place for a frock - something that holds you in and makes you feel great.

Charitygirl1 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:32:19

Not super exciting but depending on where the ruching and draping hits , it coud be flattering on the problem areas.

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/beverly-blouson-dress/202805351

omletta Wed 05-Nov-14 20:35:41

I love that Phase8 dress - that sort of cut looks fab on a larger women, especially if you have good legs.

Please keep positive - you are clearly well rid of your crap H.

omletta Wed 05-Nov-14 20:36:27

The first one!

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 20:36:35

ooh I have replies already! Thanks smile

some useful info would have been handy I guess! I am 5' 4" and have dark hair and eyes... navy is often a good colour on me - had a lovely midnight blue type dress I wore years ago...

thanks for the links charitygirl.... the flowery one isn't really me (don't hugely like prints I'm afraid) and the other one, love the colour - but don't think it would work with my shape? <please correct me if I'm wrong - I am generally shit at dressing for my current shape>

A wide-leg playsuit like this with heals made me feel fab at a Christmas party a couple of years ago. playsuit

moonshine Wed 05-Nov-14 20:48:08

I am a very similar size you to (just 2 inches taller smile) and without doubt this shape www.kaliko.co.uk/kaliko/lace-skater-dress/060034567.html?cgid=ka_dresses_lacedresses&dwvar_060034567_color=0261 is my most successful and admired as it skims over my big belly, doesn't have too much material in it and it creates a shape. I have a midnight blue from last year but they usually do several colours so it's worth looking on their website/in-store for other ones.

heels, even!

redautumnleaves Wed 05-Nov-14 20:56:15

www.modcloth.com/shop/plus-size-dresses

There are some amazing and beautiful dresses here.

I hope you find something - I am sure you will.
And I am sure whatever you choose it will look gorgeous on you!

catslave Wed 05-Nov-14 21:06:50

Couple more questions - do you have a waist, or are you more 'up and down', and do you have yellow or pinky skin - can you wear white (not that I'd pick something white, but it will be easier to find a colour that suits you if we know this!)...

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 21:16:05

Saga - weirdly I don't think I'd like the idea of a playsuit - I would feel quite exposed in one... no idea why I wouldn't in a dress... may go try one on to be sure

Moonshine - I like that style dress actually - though would prefer slightly shorter sleeves probably - 3/4 or something?

thanks for the link redautumn - will have a nose for some ideas on there

castlave - I kind of have a waist... but its straight beneath my bust (I think hence the skater style being quite good), skin has more of a yellowy tone I guess and have no idea if I can wear white - don't think I ever have, would naturally lean towards cream does that help at all?!

SelfLoathing Wed 05-Nov-14 21:18:10

Pepperberry go up to a size 18. Eg:

www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/occasion-and-party-dresses/embellished-chiffon-dress/pewter/pd358pwt/?level=2

www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/day-dresses/knot-detail-dress/red-floral/pd335rfl/?level=2&page=2

See generally here:

www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/dresses/

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 21:18:54

forgot to say - I also feel more glam in a longer dress, but no idea what length to stop at without making me look

a) even shorter
b) sack of spuds!

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Nov-14 21:22:43

This is a great dress, model is 5'10" so it'd be about the length I think you're after too. Is black OK?

catslave Wed 05-Nov-14 21:26:54

Very helpful! Don't hide that waist...

How about:

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+3/4+cuff+sleeve+dress+with+pleated+skirt/198933816,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Eliza+J+Ruched+waist+dress+with+beaded+cap+sleeves/198025118,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Linea+Lace+Jacquard+Dress/199383836,default,pd.html

Not your best colour, but with a bit of green, red or gold jewellery and nails you'll look fab: www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Untold+Off+the+shoulder+pencil+skirt+dress/206150368,default,pd.html

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 21:34:15

catslave - I love the first two (and exactly the colours I go for) but not sure I can justify anything quite that expensive in my new single parent life... any chance of finding something similar but under £100 ? <hopeful>

Mrsgrumble Wed 05-Nov-14 21:36:34

I think this is a real 'wow' dress and very flattering and pretty

shop.mango.com/IE/p0/curvesizes/clothing/dresses/lace-panel-dress/?id=31097570_02&n=1&s=prendas_violeta.vestidosprendas&ident=0__0_1415223167358&ts=1415223167358

OohMrDarcy Wed 05-Nov-14 21:40:19

I think black looks a bit harsh on me so tend to avoid

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Nov-14 21:45:00

this is (pretty much) the love child of the kaliko dress and the AP dress you liked. Much kinder price. It's out of stock ATM but they re-stock very regularly - if you mail thm you may well find they have it.

munchkin2902 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:45:08

What about a structured corset style top and some nicely cut wide legged trousers? And killer heels.

tethersend Wed 05-Nov-14 21:55:52

black with leopard collar

googietheegg Wed 05-Nov-14 21:59:38

Ms Lettuce that dress is awesome!! Op you'd look fab in it - heels, red lipstick, flicky eyeliner...shock

tethersend Wed 05-Nov-14 22:01:22

green

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now