Talk

Advanced search

Please help me choose a dress for my Xmas party!!!

(6 Posts)
Mamabird3 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:45:18

Hello smile this is my first ever post on mumsnet (been a bit of a lurker ha) but I need your help! I have a Christmas party to attend with dh (we work for the same company) who was recently promoted (so I need to look good haha) and the them is the great gatsby... I am a curvy (big hips and bum, little waist, and reasonable chestage!) blonde (if that matters) around a size 12, sometimes a 14 if it's particularly tight... I am stuck between these two dresses, however am open to suggestions. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful! Lay your wisdom on me mumsnet!

Mamabird3 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:46:06

Oh and thanks in advance if I get any opinions! smile

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Nov-14 20:03:50

Hi! Welcome then smile

So, yes, this one and this one, right?

They're both rather nice but the back(s) being open in the way they are is A Bad Thing for a 20's vibe, unfortunately.

Is there a dress code as well as a theme, IYSWIM?

this is a bargain and a stunning cut. 4 colours to choose from as well.
also worth a look
this would be great if cocktail length is OK
marmite, also shorter length

Mamabird3 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:14:20

Hello smile yes between those two, it's just a gatsby themed party, no dress code so doesn't have to be too authentic. Only issue I'm having in finding things that are authentic to the period is that I'm quite curvy and that isn't really the style of the day! But I really like the first dress you linked to! Thanks for your post smile

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 05-Nov-14 20:18:16

Red one

MrsLettuce Wed 05-Nov-14 20:54:16

There's not necessarily a need to go for an overtly 20's looking dress at all TBH, accessories, hair and make-up will get you a long, long way with this sort of palava. There are so fab headpieces on etsy and the like, for a start.

But, I do think that if a person is going to go with the beaded / tasseled thing it does need to be reasonably authentic to work without looking cheap, IYSWIM.

So yeah, a cheapish plain black dress like, say this could easily be made to work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now