Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Could I get away with this for Black Tie?

(18 Posts)
Eastwickwitch Wed 05-Nov-14 13:24:02

I've got a wardrobe full of frocks but, due a weight gain, the only one that looks vaguely OK is this.
www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Phase+Eight+Tabby+Textured+Dress/206440674,default,pd.html
I have a bling necklace & silver clutch.
It's for a dinner rather than a ball.

Notbythehaironmychinnychinchin Wed 05-Nov-14 13:32:26

I don't know. I can't really tell what the material would be like in the flesh but the pic on the website seems a little work-outfit to me rather than black tie. It IS a nice dress though.

I don't think I'd wear the black tights with it - or actually, may be I would. And I think your necklace would have to be VERY blingy.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 05-Nov-14 13:35:10

It's a lovely dress but you would look very dowdy at a dinner in it, no matter how blingy the necklace. And black tights would reduce it to (very nice) funeral wear. Sorry.

Eastwickwitch Wed 05-Nov-14 13:35:31

Thanks. Mine isn't exactly the same, probably last year's version. Navy jersey,
a bit gathered, sort of wrap IYKWIM.
Does look a bit workish.

Madcatgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 13:40:31

It's a bit work wear imo.

What about something like this instead?

www.johnlewis.com/coast-lori-lee-lace-short-dress/p1561805?colour=Grey

Eastwickwitch Wed 05-Nov-14 13:42:34

That is really pretty, but a bit too short. I'm tall 5'9" & the wrong side of 40.
If it was longer it would be perfect.

LizzieMint Wed 05-Nov-14 13:45:56

For black tie, I'd wear either a cocktail dress or something full-length, I think the dress you've got is a bit too casual.
Can you afford to get something else?

Bunbaker Wed 05-Nov-14 13:45:58

It looks like it would cling in all the wrong places, so not ideal if you have gained a bit of weight. I agree that it looks more like something you would wear to the office.

Eastwickwitch Wed 05-Nov-14 13:51:23

I'm cross with my self, I've got some great cocktail dresses but they're too small.
I'll look on JL as I love the click & collect.
If you can recommend anything for a tall, round tummied, OK legs 46 year old who has gorgeous navy shoes in a <whisper> size 14.
Thanks for your help.

LizzieMint Wed 05-Nov-14 13:55:40

What's your budget? And don't worry, I would be delighted to get back to being a size 14!

Notbythehaironmychinnychinchin Wed 05-Nov-14 13:59:06

I read that as your navy shoes were a size 14!

Madcatgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 14:08:34

What about this one?

www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-annalise-pleated-maxi-dress-navy/p1569427

I bought a gorgeous knee length navy blue lace dress from phase at john Lewis a month or so ago, but I don't see it online. I'll have a look somewhere else for it.

LizzieMint Wed 05-Nov-14 14:09:14

How about this one?
Lace prom

Madcatgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 14:09:35

Here it is.

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/occasion-dresses/fabia-embroidered-fit-and-flare-dress/202433408

I wore it to the races.

Eastwickwitch Wed 05-Nov-14 16:15:45

Gosh, thank you all.
Love the navy maxi & the lace fit & flare, exactly my style. I'll order them both & report back flowers

Madcatgirl Wed 05-Nov-14 16:18:56

Excellent! Glad we helped. I like shopping for others. grin

Bunbaker Wed 05-Nov-14 16:21:00

That maxi dress is stunning.

BikeRunSki Wed 05-Nov-14 16:43:53

Love the maxi dress

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: