Talk

Advanced search

Does whitening toothpaste work?

(20 Posts)
macnab Wed 05-Nov-14 12:02:02

And if it does, can you please recommend some!

I can't afford to get my teeth professionally whitened, but I keep seeing whitening toothpastes that sell amazing results. I could stretch to some of them, but would love some recommendations (or tell me to steer clear if they don't really work)

Fabulassie Wed 05-Nov-14 12:12:10

I'm posting to this thread because I am curious to know this as well!

I will say that I have a friend who used one that wore off his enamel. He's also a huge coffee drinker - and now he has brown spots on his teeth. sad

TheCraicDealer Wed 05-Nov-14 12:49:24

I remember reading somewhere that as long as the toothpaste cleans the teeth of plaque and other material it can brand itself as 'whitening'. Might have even been MN where I got that little nugget. No recommendations I'm afraid!

Lottapianos Wed 05-Nov-14 12:52:09

Oral B Pro Expert has brightened my teeth quite a bit. Its not a 'whitening' toothpaste as such but its better than any whitening toothpaste I've tried

Ujjayi Wed 05-Nov-14 12:55:57

I used Arm & Hammer Whitening toothpaste. It was great for a week or so - made a noticeable difference. However, it is very abrasive and caused an ulcer behind my wisdom tooth after two weeks (I realised that was the cause when I also developed what looked like cold sores on the corners of my mouth...they weren't - it was the grainy texture of the paste damaging the skin)

Quitelikely Wed 05-Nov-14 13:18:10

Arm and hammer works. Not like totally great but certainly a noticeable difference on both dh and me.

Interesting what the above poster said because I have been getting sore in the corner of my mouth on a morning but assumed it was a vit c deficiency but I'm thinking it's the toothpaste!

I will try the oral B one next

galbraith Wed 05-Nov-14 13:22:21

They've never worked for me - I had a flatmate who whitened her teeth with the tooth mould thingy and whitening gel from the dentist and it made SUCH a difference compared to anything I've tried.

Ujjayi Wed 05-Nov-14 13:28:44

Quitelikely - my mouth sores were exactly that kind of vitamin deficiency/potential cold sore look. Within two days of stopping using it my mouth had healed.

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 14:16:35

there's nothing you can buy over the counter in the UK that will make any difference. This is because tooth bleaching damages teeth and so can only be done under the supervision of a dentist.

those joke hollywood smiles are either photoshop, veneers or people who will end up with no teeth.

normal healthy teeth are a slight shade of yellow.

macnab Wed 05-Nov-14 14:26:52

Good to get the feedback, I'll stick with my colgate so!

goodasitgets Wed 05-Nov-14 17:13:12

I'm not sure about whitening but I get a LOT of staining. Was sick of going back to the hygienist and it was upsetting me
I'm using white glo smokers toothpaste and the hygienist actually said how little staining I have, so if it's more stains than actual colour change, I would recommend it. About £5 off ebay

meglet Wed 05-Nov-14 17:20:05

I use janina once a day, and have used various brands of whitening toothpaste for 20 years. My teeth are pretty white. Never smoked or been a big red wine drinker though.

Had the dentist whitening moulds 15yrs ago and they made my teeth so sensitive I only lasted about 4 days.

returnvisit Wed 05-Nov-14 20:24:07

[[ m.wikihow.com/Whiten-Teeth-With-Hydrogen-Peroxid]]e

Try hydrogen peroxide, its cheaper than the toothpastes and it works!

returnvisit Wed 05-Nov-14 20:25:11

m.wikihow.com/Whiten-Teeth-With-Hydrogen-Peroxide

Sorry link fail

WhyIRayLiotta Wed 05-Nov-14 20:31:39

Where would you buy 3% Hydrogen-peroxide return visit?

I might still be too scared to try it though!

lem73 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:36:02

Look out on Groupon for deals on professional whitening. I got one for £99 at the Boots dentist and I was happy. My teeth weren't arctic white more a very clean white. I use oral b to help maintain it.

Hippychickster Wed 05-Nov-14 20:43:39

I use the Arm and Hammer sensitive whitening one and I really like it. I'm not sure it makes any difference, but I have been asked by several people if I have my teeth whitened! Maybe I just have white teeth anyway?

specialsubject Wed 05-Nov-14 20:55:41

https://www.dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/cosmetic-dentistry/tooth-whitening

rules are there for a reason. Yes, America happily bleaches its teeth. It happily sells guns in supermarkets too.

slapping 3% peroxide on your teeth without knowing what you are doing seems right up there with foot-binding in beauty-bonkersness.

lem73 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:20:04

Look out on Groupon for deals on professional whitening. I got one for £99 at the Boots dentist and I was happy. My teeth weren't arctic white more a very clean white. I use oral b to help maintain it.

avagosling Thu 06-Nov-14 10:48:29

Try oil pulling with coconut oil, great for oral hygiene, draws toxins out, and teeth noticeably whiter after a few weeks of regular use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now