Talk

Advanced search

black tie do- is it ok to wear seperates?

(9 Posts)
Autumn2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 11:18:24

firstly the black tie dress code is stated as optional, but I think my husband will wear his tux as he already has one, but there may be people in smart suits.

I've already decided that as the dress code is black tie optional I'm not going to wear a full length gown as I think it might look too much like I'm going to a ball, but have several nice below the knee posh frocks. a chiffon black silk dress with floaty angle cap sleeves a, or a fitted gold and black prom style dress with cap sleeves.

But, I've seen a gorgeous full skirt (below the knee) from Coast and wondered if that would be a nice option with a top too? I seem to suit A line skirts as it helps balance my shape and I could wear a fitted top with 3/4 length sleeves (I don't like my upper arms) so I wondered if this would be more flattering.

I'm a size 12/14

thanks in advance!

Autumn2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:07:12

anyone?

Orangedaisy Wed 05-Nov-14 14:10:21

Half the battle in looking good (imho) is being confident. Your outfit sounds both appropriate and something you are happy with so go for it!

SanityClause Wed 05-Nov-14 14:11:59

It's usually fine to wear a cocktail dress with black tie - white tie would mean long, though.

If the skirt/top combo is quite dressy, perhaps, particularly if some men will be wearing lounge suits.

One of your shorter dresses will probably be fine, though. (Whichever you feel more comfortable in, really.) TBH, that's what I'd go with. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Nov-14 14:14:11

Sounds good to me smile

Autumn2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:14:24

thanks for the lovely reply. It's a really nice swishy skirt that would be good for dancing. Most black tie etiquette links seem only to refer to dresses, but I think this skirt is more 'dressy' than some proper dresses!

LoblollyBoy Wed 05-Nov-14 16:09:22

I have two lovely evening skirts, I'm not too confident about the tops though, and they get little wear. I saw someone once in what could only be described as a Very Classy Bustier with an evening skirt and she was the Belle of the Ball. I tried to describe this thing to a personal shopper once and ended up with a Billy Connolly style striped T-shirt. sad I'd love to know where you get your top.

Dowahdiddydiddydumdiddydo Wed 05-Nov-14 17:18:46

Skirt and top absolutely fine, especially with the black tie ish nature of the event.

What is the top like though? 3/4 length sleeve tops often appear more casual, depending on material and cut.

In principle, yes, especially if you'll be comfortable.

Autumn2014 Thu 06-Nov-14 13:24:41

I've not found a nice enough top, but this www.coast-stores.com/chemille-cover-up/all-clothing/coast/fcp-product/2425124580 would nice over a short sleeved top whilst I sit at the table for the meal and until I feel more confident as the night (and booze) continues!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now