Talk

Advanced search

Eek. New York Society 'do', with celebs. Black tie. £300 budget, size 16-18.

(28 Posts)
Thereshallbeaspirin Wed 05-Nov-14 07:45:00

Am 5'10 so although 16-18 I look ok-ish for a fat bird.

But. There's a limit to how good I'm going to look when the party in question will have in attendance a number of top notch designers, some size zero models, and a few minor celebs. The guests will on the whole be camper than Butlins, and everyone will be in a very good mood and wanting to party hard. It will without a doubt be one hell of a do.

I have not a clue where to start. My boobs are my best asset and I am hour glass shape with flattish tummy, so the junk is in the right places, but I'm in my forties and haven't bought a frock for years.

My favourite designers way back when I had a life (and admittedly a better waistline) were Ghost, Ben de Lise and DVF. And- if the lead time wasn't 6 weeks - I would probably have bought the Ghost Poinsetta dress this morning (or maybe not, as might have been a bit too bridesmaidy).

DH is wearing tartan, so green, red, gold or deep blue would work well. Needs to be ankle/full length (or close enough). I can probably carry off something a bit OTT, and have strong preference for a reasonable brand given that some of the guests (including the host) are designers themselves.

I havent a clue even where to look. Can anyone help?

GailTheFish Wed 05-Nov-14 08:01:57

Sounds like a great event!

My first thought was to take a look at The Outnet website, as they have some beautiful designer dresses at reduced prices. It would mean ordering online, but their returns policy is pretty good.

For example, they have this red Marchesa dress (admittedly a little over budget) which is gorgeous:
www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/product/Notte-by-Marchesa/Embellished-washed-silk-gown/481509

GailTheFish Wed 05-Nov-14 08:05:18

This azure dress is lovely too:
www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/product/Badgley-Mischka/Ruched-jersey-gown/489434

nannyj Wed 05-Nov-14 08:08:13

Love the second dress!

ThisBitchIsResting Wed 05-Nov-14 09:10:09

The Outnet is perfect! I've just had a happy few minutes browsing the selection and fantasising it's me who's going grin

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Nov-14 09:22:50

I suggest you hire a designer dress for the night. You'll feel fantastic in it.

whattodoforthebest2 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:30:45

That second dress is bloody gorgeous and would suit your shape and height perfectly.

Totally distracted from work now grin

Thereshallbeaspirin Wed 05-Nov-14 09:35:33

Thank you so much, guys. The outnet site is fab - have seen about 5 dresses I think I can pull off (also seen a dress to die for at nearly £1,300!!!)

Will also investigate hiring something, but does anyone know a good dress hire shop in London??

londonlivvy Wed 05-Nov-14 09:44:10

http://www.onenightstand.co.uk

They're good for dress hire.

Good luck, sounds fabulous

ThisBitchIsResting Wed 05-Nov-14 09:49:06

Girl Meets Dress is an online dress hire place worth a look too.

londonlivvy Wed 05-Nov-14 09:51:17

In my head, you look like Christina Hendricks... So maybe some of the designers she wears. I'm sure I've seen her in some fab vivien Westwood stuff.

Thereshallbeaspirin Wed 05-Nov-14 09:53:59

I am beyond excited. This was my life before kids but haven't had a proper party for 15 years, and now i have a New York do followed by thanksgiving in the Hamptons with half the guests andwithoutkids!!!. Cannot wait.

Is this one too boring? I rather like the detail (and I can't afford Oscar de la renta) ??? I think its between this and the first dress linked (the marchese one). I like the blue dress but not 100% sure about the crossover at the neck.

Off now to check out the hire shop link..

InglouriousBasterd Wed 05-Nov-14 09:59:45

Love the one you linked to OP - it's beautiful.

libertychick Wed 05-Nov-14 10:00:51

I love that black one! Would look great with your height and shape. And definitely try the Marchese too. Returns are very easy with the outnet. It sounds like a fantastic event - I am envy.

ThisBitchIsResting Wed 05-Nov-14 10:02:34

I like the black but prefer the red. You need to try on really - can you order several, max out your credit card and return?

Sparkky Wed 05-Nov-14 10:06:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparkky Wed 05-Nov-14 10:10:47

Sparkky Wed 05-Nov-14 10:14:42

Sparkky Wed 05-Nov-14 10:15:15

Thereshallbeaspirin Wed 05-Nov-14 11:20:50

Ok, am buying the coral one, the blue heritage one and the black one and will keep them all choose between them.

Many thanks. Had a lovely morning browsing through dresses and pretending this was my normal life. Now need to strip the beds and get the laundry on <sigh>

Autumn2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 11:34:09

how exciting! let us know which one you wear.

Sparkky Wed 05-Nov-14 11:35:23

GailTheFish Wed 05-Nov-14 12:12:24

How exciting, OP! They are all lovely - Have fun trying them all on.

Sparkky Fri 07-Nov-14 11:55:22

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 07-Nov-14 12:22:52

Thereshall: if you are going to be in NY for the party (rather than it being a party in the UK with NY people) than I strongly recommend that you just hire a dress from here

I live in the states and need black tie stuff all the time. They are perfect and you can get amazing designer dresses for not much money at all. You just mail them back the next day. They have a NY store so you could always book an appointment there to try stuff on but their on line support is great too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now