Talk

Advanced search

Uni Nursing Interview - what do I wear?

(10 Posts)
caykon Tue 04-Nov-14 17:41:04

I have an interview to study nursing at university next week, and don't have a clue what to wear.

I am a mature student in my 30's. Size 22, small chest big stomach thighs and bum, chunky calfs.

I am in the process of loosing weight, didn't expect interview so soon!

OneLittleLady Tue 04-Nov-14 17:59:31

I had a uni interview and wore a smart dress, opaques, black shoes which in my case were flats as I use crutches but you could definitely wear a mid height heel. I wore a cardigan and had a largeish smart handbag (thank you MIL!) which could fit my certificate folder in it so I wasn't overloaded with bags. I wore dark colours as I felt they were more fitting as it was a proper interview not an informal chat. Really though, you don't have to wear a dress if you aren't comfortable in one, I'd just say don't wear jeans, wear smart trousers instead with a nice blouse and perhaps a nice blazer if that would be more comfortable for you.

ThePortlyPinUp Tue 04-Nov-14 20:51:01

I was where you were last year and a size 22 too. I wore a navy wrap dress, black opaques and black patent riding boots, I also wore my smart navy wool coat. The impression must have worked as I recieved my offer and I'm now in my first year and starting placements next week smile

Good luck!

WestEast Tue 04-Nov-14 20:55:58

I was there 5 years ago (seems like a world away!) I wore black trousers, black pumps, a dark green floral blouse with a black vest top underneath, I've huuuuge boobs which don't allow shirts to button up!
Most people were in similar stuff, nice office wear really.
Good luck! Being a nurse is the bees knees grin

caykon Wed 05-Nov-14 14:37:20

Thankyou everyone, I only put my ucas in 2 weeks ago, I didn't expect to be getting interviews so quick, so feel very unprepared. Portlypinup you have cheered me up no end, was starting to panic, that they would look at my size and think I was to fat to be a nurse! I so hope I get this, it doesn't help that its my first choice either.

ShoesAndPsychology Wed 05-Nov-14 14:57:32

As a Senior Nurse who interviews for Staff, I look for someone who is well presented. As well as wearing smartish clothes as already suggested, I like nurses to: wear hair up if longer than collar length, no dangly earrings, wedding band only, short, clean nails- not false or polished and no high heels. But more than anything do wear a smile & show compassion, that'll get you further than any wardrobe advice. Good luck smile

ThePortlyPinUp Wed 05-Nov-14 19:36:38

caykon I felt the same about being a fat nurse, I have actually lost almost two and a half stone since May and I'm between a 16 and an 18 at the moment. However there are students of all shapes and sizes in my cohort so I wouldn't worry yourself smile

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 05-Nov-14 19:53:22

I was size 20 when I was accepted (got a place at all 4 unis I was interviewed at). I wore a black shift dress with a white shirt underneath, tights, and heeled dolly shoes for 3 interviews, and a red tea dress with s black cardigan and ballet flats for the other one. I was also worried that they would think I was too fat to be a nurse but apparently they weren't! I've actually lost about 3.5 stone since starting the course btw, due to being busy on placement and not having time to eat! Good luck with the interview smile

caykon Mon 17-Nov-14 21:47:20

Thank you for all the advice, I just received an email offering me a place for September. I am just so happy, it's my first choice uni :-)

TheCowThatLaughs Tue 18-Nov-14 07:57:37

Congratulations!! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now