Talk

Advanced search

New job...need some style help!

(5 Posts)
ihearttc Tue 04-Nov-14 13:54:40

Ive just been offered a fantastic new job. Im completely in shock as never in a million years thought Id get it.

Its only part time which is perfect for me but its just dawned on me that I have nothing to wear.

My usual mum attire is jeans/converse or boots/Breton tops or a jumper/scarf to give you an idea of what I like wearing.

Its not office based but will involve being in the community meeting people so I don't want a suit etc but something smarter than jeans. I was thinking of cord or denim skirts with my own tops/scarfs and then some leggings and tunic tops? Ive not worked for 4 years and then I had a uniform so didn't have to worry about what to wear!

Not got a massive budget until I get paid for the first time but can spare about £200.

Oh and I forgot to add...Im late 30's and extremely short (4ft 10) and about a size 12.

holeinmyheart Tue 04-Nov-14 22:40:42

Navy is softer than black. I would buy some cheap white T shirts, a couple of slim lined navy skirts, navy tights and a pair of ankle boots and kitten heeled shoes. Then a navy short cardigan and another one such as one in grey. Then wear the white T, crisp and clean, with a navy cardigan, tights and slim line skirt. A couple of contrasting scarves from accessorise. M and S and Next have jewellery that is nice.
Get you hair cut and make sure it looks shiny and clean and your face has a modicum of makeup on it.
Navy, white and grey, yea ! interchangeable and you couldn't look more coordinated.
Jackie Onnassis and the Duchess of Windsor and the Duchess of Cambridge always looked and look classy by keeping it simple. No frills and no pastels.
The Queen, Prince Andrews children, Fergie, Princess Anne all look an utter mess .

Brookville Tue 04-Nov-14 22:55:23

What about a smart blazer, a few plain tops in different colours and some tapered trousers? You might find inspiration at Mango and it's not too formal.
I love their trousers

Floisme Wed 05-Nov-14 07:00:23

Congratulations! My job can be a bit similar - I need and look professional but also approachable and not over-dressed. My go-to outfit is a just-below the knee tube skirt with a smartish jacket and ankle boots. Would that work for you?

I normally buy jackets from H&M but I find it's worth spending extra on tube skirts as they wash and last much longer (plus I wear them out of work too). But you could start off with a cheaper one while you try it out. It's easy to adjust the length as you can just hoick them up or down.

ihearttc Wed 05-Nov-14 13:53:58

Oh fab thank you-thats all really helpful.

Most of what I wear is grey,white and navy anyway so I don't have to think about what to put on in the morning.

I had thought of tube skirts but presumed they'd all be too long for me...didn't think of pulling them up!

I purchased a magazine on monday (something I never do) because it had a free Nails Inc nail varnish and a 20% off H&M card in it...going to have a look to see if I can find some basics in there to be wearing for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now