Talk

Advanced search

The best thin but warm jumpers?

(17 Posts)
Angeleno Tue 04-Nov-14 13:23:58

This weather has got me thinking of investing in some quality jumpers for a change - I'm sick of wearing bulky jumpers from the likes of H&M, Topshop etc that aren't actually that warm!

I'm looking for recommendations on jumpers that are thin enough to wear under coats easily, but warm and flattering and don't cost ££££. Oh and that don't pill up straight away, either. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe somewhere like Uniqlo? Cos? Under £70, max.

This is my first s&b OP by the way, any tips would be much appreciated!

silversixpence Tue 04-Nov-14 13:26:34

You need cashmere - uniqlo seems to be popular on here

HeyMacWey Tue 04-Nov-14 13:32:40

Yes to cashmere. Try tkmaxx and uniqlo. Layer with uniqlo's heat tech tops.

Angeleno Tue 04-Nov-14 13:33:51

Thanks for the swift reply silversixpence! Will definitely check out Uniqlo cashmere, then.

The only cashmere I have ever had was eaten almost instantly by moths - so I didn't really get to experience it, grr. Should probably give it another go with some anti-moth cedar etc in my wardrobe!

misscph1973 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:34:09

You need to avoid chunky knit polyester and acrylic. Get real wool, cashmere like silversixpence says, or pure new wool in a fine knit. It's okay if it's mixed, some polyester/acrylic is okay, it makes them longer lasting. Make sure you wear a vest or T-shirt under, preferably a cotton one. The layering effect of good materials is fantastic.

Be careful to wash on a gentle cycle with wool detergent. And wash as little as possible.

You can often pick up good quality jumpers in charity shops. But both M&S, H&M and other high street shops do them at reasonable prices.

Angeleno Tue 04-Nov-14 13:34:47

X posted, thanks for the tip Hey. Seems like I need to check out Uniqlo, have never bought anything from there before.

Lilymaid Tue 04-Nov-14 13:35:18

Merino - Uniqlo generally has good ranges of fine knit merino. Very warm and not bobbly.

Angeleno Tue 04-Nov-14 13:47:03

Seriously helpful, thanks so much. Will make an effort to check labels for polyester/acrylic and avoid those... Have never thought to buy wool detergent either, stupidly!

Really keen to go to Uniqlo now (!), will check out their merino range also.

GiantGaspingSatanicCyst Tue 04-Nov-14 13:53:58

TK Maxx is often good for quality knits as well. I got a beautiful merino jumper from there for £20!

MrsMarigold Tue 04-Nov-14 13:56:19

woolovers is also good

misscph1973 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:00:39

If you wash wool with normal detergent, it gets really itchy and shrinks!

Angeleno Tue 04-Nov-14 14:11:57

Brilliant tips from all here, TK Maxx, M&S, Uniqlo on the list!

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 04-Nov-14 14:14:13

Adding another for uniqlo. The ultra fine merino is lovely, wool marked and washes well in the machine on wool cycle.

TSSparklerDNCOP Tue 04-Nov-14 14:19:31

I like the little crew neck jumpers from Gap. Look nice over a shirt, or have a matching cardi. Their navy is better than M&S who can't seem to do black navy and are stuck on indigo on the colour chart.

FinDeSemaine Tue 04-Nov-14 14:33:12

I came to say Gap, too. They have lovely soft merino wool jumpers most winters for less than your budget. Uniqlo merino is also good but not quite as soft.

elfofftheshelf Tue 04-Nov-14 14:35:02

Boden cashmere is pretty reliable and well priced for the quality.

ThisBitchIsResting Tue 04-Nov-14 15:02:21

TK Maxx is excellent for cashmere - lots for £40 ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now