Talk

Advanced search

Hardwearing boots for DD(8) with her own style

(22 Posts)
Coffeeinapapercup Mon 03-Nov-14 21:35:39

DD tends to wear shorts/jeggings tights and flat boots combo quite a lot, with a slight punk/gothy undertone. She looks awesome grin

But DD is really hard on her shoes, she is the type of girl that if she sees a tree she will climb it regardless of footwear hmm. I bought her a pair of brantano boots and they have literally fallen apart within 3 months. We had the same problem last winter. (I now wish I had checked the make of the rather expensive boots that were handed down to us that she spent the rest of the winter it) Her H&M sandals made it through the summer really well but we don't mention the volume of school shoes we go through.

She loves these h&m boots which I'm ok with but I would rather something that will keep her legs a little warmer. I also worry that having bought another cheap pair they would only last a couple months, so any experiences with H&m shoes would be appreciated. I love kickers and am a recent convert to Ricostta thanks to mumsnet grin, but there really is nothing from either of them she is over keen on. She has also had some issues with repeatedly spraining her ankles recently so anything that is a little more supportive would be good

I've got a little bit of money at the moment and can afford to pay a bit more but they really have got to be worth it.

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 03-Nov-14 21:37:18

Oh she is a 3 so tends to be on the upper end of the kids sizes or the lower end of the adult

rockpinkpumpkin Mon 03-Nov-14 21:40:46

I just got DD(9) these and she sounds very similar to your DD. Skinny jeans, shorts and tights etc!

UniS Mon 03-Nov-14 21:42:26

If you can afford them, Geox do some good quality boots in kids and adult sizes.

The waterproof ones seem to be waterproof for a year or so and then start to fail.

Notcontent Mon 03-Nov-14 21:46:58

How about campers? But not sure if the childrens range goes past 35 (UK 2.5).

I was actually going to start my own thread about the difficulties of finding age appropriate shoes for young children with large feet.

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 21:47:49

Any chance she'd go for jodhpur boots designed for horseriding? I'm wondering if Harry Hall, Loveson etc might be tougher than high street stuff since they're meant for doing outdoorsy things in.

If you're nowhere near any horsey shops then have a look on ebay in Sporting Goods > Equestrian > Rider Clothing and Accessories. Beware though that some of them have no grip on the soles, so make sure there is a photo of the tread. Search for Muck boots for better support, more durable and waterproof but not quite as fashion friendly.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-jodhpur-boot-/181576207922?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Athletic_Shoes_ET&hash=item2a46c90e32

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harry-Hall-Cowboy-Boots-UK-3-EU-35-VGC-/111495449730?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Athletic_Shoes_ET&hash=item19f5a58c82

tethersend Mon 03-Nov-14 21:51:47

What's up the top budget? These are nice, but £££

tethersend Mon 03-Nov-14 21:53:00

I don't understand US sizing, sorry

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 03-Nov-14 21:53:03

DD got a pair of DMs when she turned 9 and has worn them loads, and they still look fine.

tethersend Mon 03-Nov-14 21:59:09

These are a bargain with the 40% off code

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 03-Nov-14 22:37:17

Wow! thanks for all the replies.

MrsCakes I've wondered about Dr martens, I think they would be absolutely perfect for DD.

not content Campers we would be into the adult sizes on, don't think I could get them pass style wise.
Oh my god the endless search for appropriate school shoes. No to slip ons or heels, leather is lovely but DD seems to destroy the couple of leather ones we've had quicker than the synthentic. That coupled with the fact she seems to find any shoes that are the right size "too tight". Last pair I bought a beautiful pair of riccosta brogues, her feet just did not fit they were all the wrong shape. I could have cried when I had to send them back. DM picked up a cheap pair of Tesco brogues and they fit perfectly hmm. No doubt I will be looking again come January but they look fantastic now and meet the guidelines that DS's physiotherapist gave for what makes a good shoe.

catsofa We have some dodgy history with horseriding so absolutely fab Idea but for totally unrelated reasons, I might have to give them a miss.

unis Will have a look at geox

rockpink Like the clarks one, will check them out with DD.
What are clarks like these days? I must admit my experiences a couple of years ago was not good. I had a particularly expensive pair just fail apart and I bought expensive clarks school shoes for DS and they lasted exactly the same length of time his quarter the price asda shoes.

thethersend OMG DD would love the redoubt boots! I would be happy in that they are a little more supportive and at 40% off that price I would have me the option of maybe getting them and a pair of fake DrMs. If you don't mind my asking how do I get a 40% off????

DillyDallyDaydreamer Mon 03-Nov-14 22:44:36

I'd go for DMs or kickers I find clarks fall apart easily

tethersend Mon 03-Nov-14 22:45:49

Code 8428 brings them down to £33.

Coffeeinapapercup Tue 04-Nov-14 08:30:35

Thanks tethersend. Dd took a look and loved them grin

I'm still thinking a pair of DMs or that style would be a good plan for the Park etc. But fighting a bit of a losing battle there....

Coffeeinapapercup Mon 10-Nov-14 20:43:37

tethersend they arrived DD is delighted thanks

We've also been given shock a pair of second hand DMs! Best of all worlds

[Thanks] to all

fieldfare Mon 10-Nov-14 21:03:37

Have a look in TKMaxx for DM's. Dd had some for school and they were bombproof, she too was heavy on them at that age and she actually outgrew them!

tethersend Mon 10-Nov-14 22:26:09

Great, glad she likes them smile

mimiasovitch Tue 11-Nov-14 07:30:53

I'm coming too late to this party. I was about to say docs, and see you've already got them. They are so good though. Dd1 had them school last year and I sold them for half what I payed this year, to fund a new bigger pair. The soles still looked fantastic. In contrast the New Look boots dd2 chose (refuses doc style) were worn out before the end of September.

coffeeinapapercup Mon 05-Jan-15 13:51:34

Just to update this thread, We got them DD loves them but then the zip broke!!! shock

No in the process of returning them and having another look at Dr Martens

puddock Mon 05-Jan-15 13:53:40

Since you're back, just let me add to the "DMs, DMs!" chorus...

Perspective21 Mon 05-Jan-15 14:01:35

Another vote for DMs, my DDs, now 14 and 11 have each had I pair new in the Autmn and have worn them for any weather that's damp, wintery, seaside trips, muddy walks, city tramping. They are so robust. They also wear them in snow (so long as not too deep). They are on their third pair (1 pair per year each) I am so pleased with how they wear. We have even passed ours on as they have grown out, rather than wrecked them. They really are tough.
You can then get by with converse and flip flops and a pair of ballet pumps if any dressier shoes are required for the rest of the year.

imip Mon 05-Jan-15 17:41:17

I'd day say dms also. My dd8 has hypermobility, so she finds Bisgaard shoes very supportive for her foot. Asics trainers on other days - would she wear trainers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now