Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New job, what do I need?

(8 Posts)
Butterflyface Mon 03-Nov-14 18:05:40

I'm due to start in a couple of weeks - so far, I have a dress, a pair of trousers, two plain round-neck tops (one purple, one black), and my usual knitwear that's looking rather shabby but will do for the moment. I have one pair of black boots that come up to just under the knee - too casual for an office job? I'm just not sure how smart to go really? Don't want to look like a plonker and be over or under dressed and it's been years since I worked FT! What's the done thing now? <sounding very ancient and decrepit>

bonhomme Mon 03-Nov-14 18:23:21

I wouldn't wear the knee boots tbh, at least not to start with.

I think dresses are the most versatile office wear, teamed with some smart heels.

Drquin Mon 03-Nov-14 18:27:52

Dress and smart shoes, or the trousers, top and jacket for the first day or two until you suss out what everyone else is like.

Drquin Mon 03-Nov-14 18:31:44

Done thing?
Depends very much on the workplace really. "Office job" covers quite a lot.
I'd definitely get away with the boots in my office. We're all smart-casual (!) but rarely interview or court-smart ..... Unless the boss is visiting, and he is this week so I'm off to find something proper smart!

JemimaMuddledUp Mon 03-Nov-14 19:01:04

Knee high boots would be fine in my office. I would go in trousers and plain tops for the first couple of days until you suss out the office dress code, then go from there. You don't want to be uber smart and discover everyone else is in jeans, or vice versa.

mooth Mon 03-Nov-14 19:05:12

I wear knee high boots, biker boots, ankle boots, leggings, skirts etc. to work, everything except blue jeans, or clothes that are shabby or revealing.

Butterflyface Mon 03-Nov-14 19:44:20

That's all good to know - thanks! I've just ordered myself a load of stuff to arrive tomorrow (so I have plenty of time to take it back when it looks awful or doesn't fit me! I got about 4 pairs of trousers, 6 more tops and 2 pairs of shoes, one ballet and one cross-bar. I reckon that's more than enough for me to go a couple of weeks without having to repeatedly wear the same things. I'm not really fashion conscious being the size of a large heifer, and disabled to boot but I don't want to be too shabby!

Butterflyface Mon 03-Nov-14 19:45:15

And I wore the boots with the lucky dress for the interview, it was pissing it down that day so I reckon they'll be ok in moderation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now