Talk

Advanced search

Black tie 'do' Saturday, urgently need dress: is short ever ok?

(44 Posts)
Kathleenkelly Sun 02-Nov-14 21:28:53

Have to go to black tie dinner - described as 'ball' but there will be no dancing- with DH on Saturday. Its an industry thing with his work, so I mostly just want to look appropriate, and not spend too much money. Something I could wear again over xmas would be a plus.

Had chosen long-sleeved, jersey dress online at Coast but decided not to buy it till I got a chance to try it on in person, which took a few more weeks than planned. And then they didn't have it in the shop, and its now sold out online in my size angry

I'm now torn between buying it in a 10 and hoping because its jersey fabric it will have some stretch (possibly a terrible idea), hoping to find something else I can order online as due to work will not be near shops before Saturday, or dry cleaning a knee-length grey dress I already own and hoping its ok.

Budget ideally no more than 100-120 as I don't normally go to these things. Everything I tried on in Coast and House of Fraser this weekend was too bridesmaid-y. I mostly buy work clothes in M&S, Hobbs, Banana Republic usually so not sure where to look for something like this. I'm a 12 and fairly hourglass-y (bra size 30 f, fairly sizeable hips) and early 30s.

In my position, would you go with the short dress or panic order some options to try on at home? Is there anywhere else I should look?

NoelleHawthorne Sun 02-Nov-14 21:29:47

God yes, I never wear long

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sun 02-Nov-14 21:39:32

I am in love with this dress and am hoping someone buys it and wears it as I have no current need for it www.stories.com/gb/Ready-to-wear/Dresses/Tailored_Dress/582938-10083977.1

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Nov-14 21:42:36

Knee length or just above is fine, but mini skirt for work thing is not IMO. I would also balance out short by being high necked and with sleeves, though with your boobs that might look matronly.

Can you post a photo of the grey dress? Do you have time to get new accessories if you want to change it a bit from previous wearings?

mintysmum Sun 02-Nov-14 21:48:12

If it were me I'd go for online ordering of as many as I could find in john Lewis.

If a dress was short but very dressy that would be ok in my opinion. Not short short, and would need to be cocktail looking dressy with heels and decent accessories

ThisBitchIsResting Sun 02-Nov-14 21:54:44

That is lovely Belinda and would suit you, you should buy it and an occasion will arise!

NoelleHawthorne Sun 02-Nov-14 21:54:47

I can't do a flared skirt

Ikeameatballs Sun 02-Nov-14 21:58:33

I think knee-length is fine.

A long shot for the other dress would be to try eBay? Might find it on there.

WipsGlitter Sun 02-Nov-14 22:00:13

I think shirt is ok. But jersey sounds v casual.

KatyPeary Sun 02-Nov-14 22:04:50

Fancy knee length will be fine.

I love Belinda's dress. Perfect for me grin if I had somewhere to wear it!

BohemianCrapsody Sun 02-Nov-14 22:06:46

Try Boohoo, loads of dresses in so many styles and so reasonably priced.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sun 02-Nov-14 22:21:05

Oh don't, I really don't need any encouragement! I've even seen it in real life and admired the quality of it. I'm going to stick to just admiring it. Unless it goes on sale, then all bets are off [weak willed shopper]

Agree w the comments on "short" needing to require a hem in close proximity to your knees.

DealForTheKids Sun 02-Nov-14 22:22:41

Can we get a photo of the grey dress??

goingmadinthecountry Sun 02-Nov-14 22:50:13

black tie = short
white tie = long

obviously it's entirely OK these days to wear exactly whatever you want. Have been to quite a few ball type events where many people looked fantastic in short dresses.

goingmadinthecountry Sun 02-Nov-14 22:55:13

Love the &otherstories dress, but it's quite casual posh. Doesn't fit "ball" in my head. Great for lots of other occasions though.

Totallyfidobono Sun 02-Nov-14 23:07:04

Belinda I love, love that dress. I think it's very Grace Kelly.
is it true to size? Apologies for hijack. I have dinner event thing coming up.
Any info, appreciated.

CointreauVersial Sun 02-Nov-14 23:11:47

Ooh, Belinda, nice dress. I have a ball to go to as well, funnily enough. I was going to wheel out my faithful Jigsaw dress (which I got married in 13 years ago), but I need very little persuasion to buy something new. I would also love to know how it comes up size wise.

dancingwitch Sun 02-Nov-14 23:20:57

Short is absolutely fine although I would have thought above the knee better than a mini for DH's work do. If in a suitable fabric and with the right accessories, a little black dress would be fine. I would have thought jersey could look a bit frumpy at a ball.
Most shops are getting their Christmas party stuff in at this time of year so high st chains will have more ball appropriate things in than they would usually have. Based on your budget & where my hourglass shaped friend finds clothes which fit her well, what about monsoon, next or oasis?

oldnewmummy Sun 02-Nov-14 23:25:33

Have a look at Blue Banana on Amazon. There's a selection of stretchy long and short dresses, and they look lovely on. I bought a long black halter neck with a red bit down the middle for a ball - looked good and was about 50 quid I think.

Hueycool Sun 02-Nov-14 23:26:24

I'm selling a beautiful evening dress on Ebay, new with tags, size 12 Damsel in a dress dress grin. It's yours if you want it. It's a satin and Jersey mix.

Hueycool Sun 02-Nov-14 23:27:43

I've also got an eighties Givenchy electric blue peplum dress but it's very quirky and not sure it would be your style smile

Kathleenkelly Sun 02-Nov-14 23:29:02

This is the coast one: its jersey so I'm hoping that means stretchy but definitely not casual:

www.coast-stores.com///fcp-product/1381820?gclid=CMuBnqSJ3cECFa7KtAodkFIAxA

I have ordered it and will see if by some miracle it fits/will fit with spanx. No pics of the grey dress, its draped and cocktaily, but nothing special.

Hueycool Sun 02-Nov-14 23:32:22

That's perfect. How exciting smile

MN216 Sun 02-Nov-14 23:34:44

Kaliko have a sale on at the moment - loads of potential dresses on their website for around or less than your budget. Order loads and then return the ones that don't make the grade!

BelindaAllWorkedOut Sun 02-Nov-14 23:38:08

Sorry for thread hijack... Will try the dress on and start a separate thread on how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now