Talk

Advanced search

Cool eyewear - London/SE - where to go

(13 Posts)
FrancesHB Sat 01-Nov-14 18:08:34

I'm looking for a really good place to get advice about new specs. I wear them everyday but am very vain about it, and often wish I could wear contacts. Most of the places near me are variations on a theme with the same designers and no real advice from staff. My mum goes to a fab place in Glasgow where they have frames from smaller designers in Europe - similar prices to Prada etc but much more interesting and lots of guidance from the staff re face shape etc.

I'm sure there's somewhere in London / Home Counties where I can get advice like this but I don't know where.

thanks

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Nov-14 18:14:09

Oooh now, there used to be a fabulous place in Covent Garden bang opposite the tube station. Not the Long Acre exit, the other one. I think it was called For Eyes. No idea if it is still there, I havn't lived in London for 15 years. But if it is, it's definitely worth a trip.

TurnOverTheTv Sat 01-Nov-14 18:18:56

Tom Davies has opened his own flagship store in London, they are amazing. Totally bespoke, lots of helpful advice. He also stocks in independents, there is always someone trained in how to measure etc.

FrancesHB Sat 01-Nov-14 19:36:01

Thanks both. Tom Davies looks just the ticket. I suspect I cannot afford fully bespoke (any idea re cost?) but if he has good off-the-peg frames and more importantly good advice then that'd be just the ticket.

I remember seeing a covent garden eye store on one of those 'what not to wear'/ 'ten years younger' type makeover shows a few years back, will have a google.

thanks��

TurnOverTheTv Sat 01-Nov-14 19:52:51

I've done full bespoke for about £600 depending on what lenses you need. I did sell some of his off the peg ones for about £295 but not sure if they do that in the flagship store. Just go in and have a much, the staff are always lovely.

FrancesHB Sat 01-Nov-14 19:59:49

Thank you turnoffthetv - that sounds doable actually; I usually get the thin non reflective lenses but otherwise a fairly straightforward prescription.

maradesbois Sat 01-Nov-14 20:16:51

Hi, my glasses are from a French company [http://www.faceaface-paris.com face à face] which I love. I didn't want anything from a main fashion brand. Am not in London though. Maybe have a look online for brands you like then check stockists rather than vice versa?

maradesbois Sat 01-Nov-14 20:17:29

Sorry link fail face à face

Ginswizzler Sat 01-Nov-14 20:58:18

Spectique in Reigate has some unusual ones I've not seen anywhere else

FrancesHB Sat 01-Nov-14 22:55:03

Maradesbois - actually my v closest optometrist does sell that brand. I've never been in.

Reigate not too far for me smile

It's less about the range - although interesting is better - and more about the help and expertise I think.

usmama Sun 02-Nov-14 08:10:53

ooh where in glasgow does your mum go Frances? Am also looking for new interesting frames...

FrancesHB Sun 02-Nov-14 08:38:52

www.nicheopticaltailor.co.uk

FrancesHB Sun 02-Nov-14 13:55:21

Has anyone been to Opera opera in convent garden?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now