Talk

Advanced search

What percentage of your salary do you spend on clothes?

(20 Posts)
Butterflyface Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:11

And by this, I mean just on work clothes for yourself? Do you tend to buy things once a season, or buy the odd item here and there? I've just got a job, and while I can probably get by on my old stuff for a while, I will want to buy some more stuff once I'm earning. I'm trying to figure out how much I should spend, so maybe a percentage isn't the best way to think about it, but of course, people earn different amounts and spend different amounts, and I wanted to avoid a mn 'never-ending roast chicken' event! grin

fanjobiscuits Sat 01-Nov-14 13:23:14

About 0% over the past couple of years

silverwarrior Sat 01-Nov-14 13:30:33

About 5% on clothes & accessories, but this is for all clothing, including PJs/gym clothes etc. My work environment isn't overly formal, so lots of clothes get worn to work but also at weekends too.

I like to buy in sales/outlets through the year, as and when I see a good deal come up (am in London so lots of designer sales etc). It means I get top quality clothes but at high street prices.

Pastperfect Sat 01-Nov-14 15:37:43

For work I tend to buy two full outfits a month a dress and then separates.

For dresses I favour Reiss, LK Bennett, Hobbs and Michael kors. Occasionally I find something I like in M&S which is handy for traveling because they're always machine washable.

For separates I really like banana republic - I just bought a good selection from the Roland Mouret collection.

No defined % - I buy what I like and probably a bit more than usual as I've put on a few pounds and so don't have a huge selection that fits shock

Oly4 Sat 01-Nov-14 16:02:41

No set % but I spend about £300 a month of my £550 'allowance' from our joint account. My other half has the same and spends it on what he likes. Clothes are something I enjoy

pinkfrocks Sat 01-Nov-14 16:17:48

Surely this is down to the individual and what they earn, other financial commitments and the type of work they do.

It doesn't really matter what other people do.

FWIW I work mainly from home and see clients for 25% of my role.
I probably spend around 10% of my annual income on clothes over a year- and that's being generous. I could afford to spend much more but the role I have doesn't require super smart wear anyway.

theposterformallyknownas Sat 01-Nov-14 16:23:54

No salary, but buy things as and when I need them.
I don't go mad, but don't go without.
When I chuck something it usually gets replaced, not like for like necessarily but something to take its place.
Just taken 12 carrier bags to charity shop from my wardrobe so due a major shop. grin

Captainweasel Sat 01-Nov-14 16:45:00

I buy and replace as and when. But tend to buy clothes for big occasions. I've got a new job string in feb so will probably buy a couple of new bits for that and mix in with existing.

WhoKnowsWhereTheSlimeGoes Sat 01-Nov-14 16:51:08

Probably around 5%, excluding shoes and boots. I don't really have work and home clothes though as I work in a very casual environment. I could afford more, but that is what it generally works out at. Probably spend about £150 twice a year (once summer, once winter) on tops, maybe £100 over the year on jeans and leggings, perhaps two summer and two winter dresses a year, maybe one coat, then it's just tee shirts, underwear, PJs.

Peanutbutterandnutellanutter Sat 01-Nov-14 16:51:16

No idea how much I spend on work clothes as never add it up. I tend to pick stuff up as and when I need something / if I see a good bargain. Over the years I have built up a good work wardrobe. I work in a professional office so have to be smart, think smart dresses, skirt and top with nice shoes.

To give you an idea, this year I have bought:

In the January sales, 3 jersey dresses from Phase Eight, totalling about £120 for the three

In the summer sales, one dress from Whistles £40 and 3 dresses from Hobbs totalling £120 for the three

Recently bought two dresses from Baukjen for £70 for both, was really pleased with this bargain!

I have also bought two pairs of cheap M&S high heeled court shoes, probably £40 for both.

Also loads of tights so let's say £20 on tights.

So that's about £410 on work clothes this year and what I have now should last me for the next year if I can resist shopping urges

Have not needed to buy a new coat or handbag for work this year which are two or the more expensive items. Will probably need to get a new suit next year which will be a lot. I only have to wear suits to occasional meetings though so a suit tends to last a good few years.

As you can see I only shop in sales and never buy full price. Shoes are cheap from M&S as I have had expensive shoes in the past and they didn't last any longer. When the cheap shoes are past their best I just throw away and replace. I walk to work in trainers or flats so my work shoes only get worn inside the office and last longer.

Tights are always from Primark.

Apatite1 Sat 01-Nov-14 17:12:30

I spend about £2k per year on clothes, quite a bit less than 5%. I shop the sales almost exclusively.

Peanutbutterandnutellanutter Sat 01-Nov-14 17:50:26

I don't think there is a guideline % of salary you should spend - depends on how smart you need to be for your job and how important clothes / fashion are to you personally.

Greengardenpixie Sat 01-Nov-14 17:54:00

No idea!! Too much probably...id rather not calculate blush

upyourninja Sat 01-Nov-14 17:58:35

Wow. Definitely less than 5% of take home, including all clothes, make up and hair. I have to buy smarter clothes for work travel and can only afford sales and ebay. I buy natural fibres from decent brands that last. I think I hoard clothes for too long too.

We just don't have much disposable income.in an ideal world I would buy really decent staples and then top up with a few nice things each season.

I bought my first lipstick today and felt very indulgent confused

WipsGlitter Sat 01-Nov-14 18:01:04

Not much. I wear the same stuff over and over. Four dresses. Will maybe get a new one I the sales.

As I've got older I've bought less. I find buying lots of clothes really hard to fathom. Like having multiple coats for example. I have a duffle coat and a decent coat - both good quality £500 each shock but my sister has loads of different coats. I just don't get it! Having said that I realised I do need a coat for the school run so will look for something suitable.

caker Sat 01-Nov-14 18:48:26

I am provided with a uniform for work, just black suits and we get 2 jackets and 3 skirts/trousers every 18 months. Have to provide our own plain tops - I wear my old school blouses (left school 20 years ago!). So tights are my only expense for work really.

NowWhatSoWhat Sat 01-Nov-14 19:11:31

10% roughly

Butterflyface Sun 02-Nov-14 07:26:57

That's all really interesting - thanks, people. I think I'm going to have to go through my wardrobe, have big chuck out of things I've not worn for years, see what's left over that can be worn for work, and then see whether I need to get anything for the short term, or if it can wait until the money starts coming in! smile

Mrsgrumble Sun 02-Nov-14 07:31:40

I am a teacher and usually buy new shoes, trousers and a few shirts each September (from somewhere like gap)

Then I top up my wardrobe with tops that I initially bought for weekend wear but wouldn't ruin by wearing into school new.

Then I buy things throughout the year - so probably 40 pound a month max.

Sunnyshine Sun 02-Nov-14 07:45:05

I buy mostly from charity shops so get clothes once a month but spend no more than £10-£12 for 3/4 items

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now