Talk

Advanced search

My first date in 16 years - what on earth do I wear

(11 Posts)
CallSignCharlie Sat 01-Nov-14 12:28:36

After coming out of a long marriage I have been chatting to a very nice guy online and he's suggested meeting up for drinks in central London next weekend -
Which is lovely and I'm very very excited ( and will adopt all sensible safety measures) but arrggghhh , what on earth do I wear
I'm 5 ft 1 and curvy with large norkage- I'm 40 but hopefully look a little younger .my date is a trendy needia type and I really want to look good
I have some nice boot cut jeans, which could be dressed up with heels - but what kind of top- also I'm thinking jeans might not cut it for a sat night out in London
I also like the idea of a casual dress - but whee do I start
Any suggestion , ideas, tips - please

MyGoldenNotebook Sat 01-Nov-14 16:18:33

I'd wear a dress. Nothing too fancy - maybe a wrap dress from Fat Face with a soft (cashmere?) cardigan, opaque tights and heels. Red lipstick.

If it were just a pub thing I might do jeans, vintage style lace top and ballet flats (but I'm 5'6 so maybe boots if you choose this option?).

The thing is though - you will have your own style. Don't try and be a different person for a night.

I would though. always er on the side of dressing up. It's all part of the dating fun too. I LOVE having someone to dress up for. Even if it's a female friend I haven't seen for a while and want to look nice for.

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 01-Nov-14 16:28:51

Not a wrap dress and cashmere cardigan - it's a date, not a WI meet! shock grin

What's your budget? Do you like this ?

Jeans and heels perfect - bootcuts are possibly a bit dated, could you do skinnies instead? M and S '5 pocket jeggings' are very flattering and only £22 ish, with heels and a silky top you're done.

Agree that a wrap dress and cashmere cardigan is an absolute no.

What shops do you usually like and what is your usual style?

What are your legs like? How about a tube or pencil skirt, nice top, opaques, heeled ankle boots and a biker jacket?

Otherwise, agree that the M&S skinnies are v good indeed.

tak1ngchances Sat 01-Nov-14 16:42:04

I would go for a dress for sure. Skinny jeans are very unflattering on most people

MyGoldenNotebook Sat 01-Nov-14 17:01:28

I'll have you know I look very pretty in my wrap dress and cashmere - more old school feminine glamour and rather busty too and and not WI at all grin - just goes to show different tastes though!

Still, Ignore what I'd do - what do you feel comfortable in?

Nice, well fitting jeans will always be a safe bet (I agree with the point about boot cuts). Spritz some sultry perfume and wear a nice lipstick and you'll be gorgeous. Good luck! I'll never get to experience first date excitement again you lucky thing xx

CallSignCharlie Sat 01-Nov-14 17:20:51

Ooh thanks for suggestions
I was worried about boot cut jeans being a bit dated too, but my legs aren't really that great for skinnies . I'm shopping tomorrow so might pop into M and S and try the jeggings on. It's a look I'd definitely go for if I was 6 inches taller and 2 stone lighter
I think the dress idea is great I like fat face ones but thought they weren't date-y enough
I wear a lot of skater style skirts / dresses with opaques and ballet flats but not sure I can do that with heels (and I'm definitely wearing heels)
Off shopping tomorrow so I'll check out skinny jeans and report back
( he's just messaged me and Ive now not butterflies thinking about it -eek:-) )

polyhymnia Sat 01-Nov-14 17:36:21

Good luck. I personally wouldn't recommend bright red lipstick - unless it is very much a part of your normal look. Could look a bit try-hard/off-putting. I'd keep it subtle - ditto the perfume. One person's 'sultry' is another's 'sickly'.

polyhymnia Sat 01-Nov-14 17:37:17

And I think you're right to give bootcuts a miss if he is 'trendy'.

WildBillfemale Sat 01-Nov-14 21:32:25

Look for straight leg jeans there are a lot around, good style for those who don't want skinnies or bootcut.

SelfLoathing Mon 03-Nov-14 12:39:09

A first date in an OLD situation is date zero - because you haven't actually met yet. It's a pre-viewing/assessment if you like: do we click? do we want to go on a first proper date. People who are seriously doing OLD will do lots of these so you need to be very relaxed about it.

Smart jeans and a glam top would be fine. You don't want to look like you've tried too hard. For this reason, I would very much advise against a dress - unless you normally are a dress wearer every day and this is your normal style.

The first real date - ie. when having met you at date zero they actually ask you out properly for a proper date is the opportunity to dress up a bit more/make more of an effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now