Talk

Advanced search

I've bought an eyeliner, now what do I do with it?

(20 Posts)
Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 09:13:59

Please help me, I'm rubbish at make up! I've recently had a fringe cut in, it's got a mind of it's own and looks terrible. I look like a little girl and thought I might look better with some better eye makeup. I normally only bother with mascara. So I've bought an eyeliner and my first attempt to use it looks like I still think it's Halloween. Any tips please? I don't think I'm skilled or confident enough for flicks and things!

bananaballoo Sat 01-Nov-14 09:17:18

pre mascara run it along the top lid but actually at the base of your eyelashes not on the lid. Try as if you are colouring in the root or your lashes then add mascara after. very natural look but makes a big difference. x

Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 09:18:35

Thank you. I've put it on the lower lid, is that why it looks a bit creepy?

SmellyFartado Sat 01-Nov-14 09:29:38

What banana said but if the eye liner still looks a bit much or is too harsh, try smudging it in with a cotton bud. Gives more of a smoky eye effect.

Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 09:31:15

That's a good idea and sounds pretty doable!

HairyMagratsScare Sat 01-Nov-14 09:51:50

Don't line the lower lid in the day it looks too harsh, or only line 1/3 from your outer corner inwards which can define nicely.

Don't line from corner to corner as it makes eyes too small IMO

For a daytime look divide your top eyelash line into thirds. Line either the outer third or the outer 2 thirds. Some people draw a straight line others make a row of dots and join them up.If you're wearing a neutral eye shadow then this may be enough and follow with mascara on top and bottom lashes. If you're not wearing eye-shadow then think about doing so as it gets rid of veins and redness on your eyelid. I'm very pale and use a vanilla shade all over or an Urban Decay primer by itself in Eden.

I find that if I pull my outer eyelid slightly I get a better line. Just practise and start with a really thin line right at the base of your lashes smile

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Sat 01-Nov-14 10:00:09

Agree about applying it as if you were trying to do a root touch-up on your top lashes.
I find a wide pencil is easiest - the liquid is less forgiving.
Definitely do NOT do under the eye or you will end up looking like John Prescotts wife/Morticia Addams - definitely 'trying too hard' and too harsh for daytime - very ageing.

rubyflipper Sat 01-Nov-14 10:43:10

Best thing to do is search for eyeliner in Pinterest or YouTube, where there are loads of step-by-step tutorials.

Stevie77 Sat 01-Nov-14 11:12:57

Google the Sali Hughes video for doing a flicky eyeliner (you can omit the flick part if you like. Alternatively, I found Wayne Goss on YouTube to have good tips ((he's a makeup artist).

FestiveRoad Sat 01-Nov-14 12:12:07

Lisa Eldridge videos are really good. This is an everyday look and she demonstrates eyeliner at 7.30 mins in.

www.lisaeldridge.com/video/26264/the-ultimate-beautifying-makeup-look-that-suits-just-about-everyone/#.VFTMs8nXx2A

trikken Sat 01-Nov-14 12:23:16

I do lower lid liner, cant do top. Think it looks good as long as you dont go ott and too heavy handed. Needs light almost feathery strokes. Have to pull the edge of my eye to hold it whilst I do it otherwise it looks weird.

trikken Sat 01-Nov-14 12:25:10

I cant use the pen things though. Only pencils.

Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 13:16:36

Thanks for all the advice. Going to watch the recommended videos tonight when baby is in bed. I have very fair eyelashes and find it hard to get mascara right to the root so hopefully this will hide the join!

Trills Sat 01-Nov-14 13:20:37

I always have eyeliner under my eye as well as above.

Always.

But if you are not used to wearing much makeup then it will definitely look odd to you at first.

NigellasGuest Sat 01-Nov-14 14:21:11

I don't work for Elle magazine or anything (I wish)!! but in the December issue there's a free Benefit gel eyeliner and detailed instructions inside.

Trills Sat 01-Nov-14 14:30:45

Oooooo. Is that out yet?

I think the next Glamour is supposed to have nice Nails Inc nail varnishes.

NigellasGuest Sat 01-Nov-14 16:21:25

Yep Trills - I acquired it today! will look out for nail varnishes with Glamour....

Trills Sat 01-Nov-14 16:48:18

Thanks for the tip!

AlfAlf Sat 01-Nov-14 17:41:12

What colour is your eyeliner? I have quite fair lashes and used to struggle with black, but switched to brown eyeliner and get on much better with that.

Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 18:25:17

Yes I thought I'd struggle with black, it's more like a dark grey/smokey sort of colour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now