Talk

Advanced search

Which slippers if you have planter fasciitis?

(38 Posts)
BoftheP Fri 31-Oct-14 21:52:50

I'm probably not going to like the answer but am hoping someone out there can point me in the direction of something comfortable, supportive but not "old lady" ta.

ouryve Fri 31-Oct-14 22:04:01

Bypass slippers and wear crocs - they have inbuilt arch support. There's cosy varieties available, if you need warmth rather than just support, though I just wear mine with woollen socks, in winter.

VegasIsBest Fri 31-Oct-14 22:06:18

Or Birkenstocks

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Fri 31-Oct-14 22:07:48

I had boot-type slippers with a thick, padded sole (but just from Accessorize or similar) and they were fine for me.

BoftheP Fri 31-Oct-14 22:09:19

I've been wearing crocs (Mary janes ) but they're a bit wide for my feet I think, was thinking about getting a lined pair but thought I'd ask on s&b for any alternatives.....

BoftheP Fri 31-Oct-14 22:11:27

Vegas, I think wearing Birkenstocks all summer may be the cause of my foot trouble, whilst they are good for arch support they are just to hard on my heel.

hugoagogo Fri 31-Oct-14 22:17:28

I have crocs

M&S do secret support slippers which are ok, but they don't last long.

I wear my crocs all the time at home and they last for years.

NotALondoner Fri 31-Oct-14 22:24:19

I tok the opposite approach and went barefoot (with socks but no slippers). I think it strengthens the muscles and it made my feet MUCH better.

ggirl Fri 31-Oct-14 22:40:57

Fitflop slippers , completely amazing if you have PF , barefoot makes mine much worse

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 31-Oct-14 22:43:38

What notalondoner said. You get PF because your foot muscles are too weak which leads to your PF doing too much work.

marriednotdead Fri 31-Oct-14 22:45:05

Another vote for M&S secret support.

M&S did some that were like Fit flops a couple of years ago that were even better than the secret support ones, but I've not seen them since sadly. They were amazing.

ChishandFips33 Fri 31-Oct-14 22:47:54

I've had a couple of pairs of the M&S secret support ugg type boots. Very toasty and extremely comfortable and I suffer other foot complications too

They seem tight at first but slacken easily so don't size up.
Not glamorous tho!

lemonpuffbiscuit Fri 31-Oct-14 22:56:25

Birkenstocks. Not bare feet

ResponsibleAdult Fri 31-Oct-14 23:27:39

Not Birkenstocks, they make PF worse. I bought my DH a pair of slippers, rubber sole, so waterproof, then a cork sole, so flexible, with a felt top, so breatheable. There was a ticker tape on mumsnet giving a discount. DH adores them , DS 16 is trying to nick them, as they can come in trendy jeans colour. They literally change DH mood changes as soon as he changes into them. Not cheap, but the mood altering effect is instant every time.

Best £60 I've spent in a long time.

Got a Swedish/ Scandi type name. In bed at the mo, will check tmrw and let you know

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 31-Oct-14 23:31:32

Fitflop Goghs - not technically slippers, but that's how I use mine.

53Dragon Fri 31-Oct-14 23:34:37

You need close fitting, supportive shoes that don't slide around on your feet. They should enclose your heel.

53Dragon Fri 31-Oct-14 23:36:41

Advice from the NHS Don't wear flat-soled shoes!

BoftheP Sat 01-Nov-14 09:00:21

The m and s ugg type boots are on the website, might have a look at those in the shop. Ta.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Nov-14 09:40:01

Some exercises to help:
www.newtonrunning.com/blog/running-form/causes-and-treatment-of-plantar-fasciitis/

Beautifullymixed Sat 01-Nov-14 12:12:26

Crocs here too. Agree with a pp about the mood changing effect. I come home and can't wait to get shoes/boots/converse off, and crocs on. Utter bliss smile
I wouldn't be seen outside the house with them though, and often kick them off to open the front door <vanity>
Just wish they were more stylish. I will never be without them, and they cleared up my PF beautifully.

UterusUterusGhali Sat 01-Nov-14 13:05:24

Birkies here.
I can't walk on hard floors without them in the morning.

polyhymnia Sat 01-Nov-14 13:18:58

Definitely not Birkenstocks. When I had a bout of PF Fitflops were easily the best.

doglover Sat 01-Nov-14 13:35:33

Fitflops are the business for PF sufferers! Won't wear anything else.

polyhymnia Sat 01-Nov-14 17:27:34

The reference to flat shoes in the NHS advice means completely flat, thin-soled non-supportive shoes, I think. Fitflops actually have really thick, shaped soles, so your feet are well supported.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 01-Nov-14 18:18:10

But well supported feet are weak feet. If you have PF supportive shoes make help with pain and limited recovery by taking some of the pressure off. But you will still have weak feet, and vulnerable to PF etc.

There is nothing wrong with flat, thin soles as long as you make sure your feet are strong enough.

So OP, Birkies/Fitflops etc may make your feet more comfortable in the short term, but if you want to strengthen your feet in the long term transition into more minimalist footwear, as well as other foot strengthening exercises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now